Grit Laskin discusses

In a world where the word "genius" is bandied about much too often, Grit Laskin is one of the few that genuinely deserves it. His work literally makes my jaw drop; I'm always amazed that someone can create something so beautiful that also makes music. First time I ever saw what he looks like...

I love the fact that he said "He is doing very well thank you and I'm not alone". I wish much success to all the luthiers in this forum. May you strive to be at the top of your profession.

I'll be a LOT of players don't know the bevel is sometimes (oftentimes) called the "Laskin Bevel". . .

I was intimidated by his book initially, and made excuses on not buying it. That purchase (not discounting my Larry Robinson interview by any means) was more than worth the money. Engraving inlay brought an entirely different dimension to my views and execution of inlay, and has actually opened up not only what I can do, but also what I'm willing to try.

Grit is definitely someone who has influenced the craft.

Now, if only I can get around to the harp ukulele, Laskin style. . .

-Aaron

Oh you mock me Aaron ;) The interview was very interesting from a financial view - the program's hook. Having heard the explanation of the sound port I am a little more convinced but am still wary of using it on a uke. I certainly know you have a completely different sound from the harp ukulele if you cover the hole in the 'arm'.... same with my personal pseudo-harp guitar which has the arm closed off to a point and no sub-bass strings. I was disappointed that the shomaking report didn't follow so I went on YouTube and spent the rest of the evening looking at how things were made....

Last edited:
"How to get music out of trees, that's our problem." A problem Mr. Laskin seems to have made great progress solving.

Oh you mock me Aaron ;)

Pete, I KNEW you were going to chime in sooner or later, especially with the Harp allude. But you know that was in jest.

If anyone's ever seen Laskin's take on a Harp based guitar. . . the soundboard is at a 25 degree angle to the fretboard (an actual harp is 35 degrees or so). An ergonomic nightmare for sure, but its how the bevel got its start. . . I think its one of those builds that you close your eyes and listen because it would be a beast to lug around outside of a studio.

As for the sound port, I know Chuck uses it, and I have one on the bench right now, by request (not suggested by me). My soundholes tend to be on the bigger side, so I'm not so sure the port won't flatten it out, in a bad way. I did do a mini tournavoz for the port, just for fun. What a pain.

My fear on the sound port is the same I have with my current Speaker Cabinet building exercise - I don't believe, but, once I do, I'll never go back (yes, I'm selling off my current speakers and replacing them with my own; not my design, but my build). Which means I'll have to find a way to jig up to do ports accurately and efficiently.

I do think `ukulele are WAY to small to make use of the bevel, so that, like inlay, will be an artful enhancement more than anything, I think.

-Aaron

Grit Laskin and Linda Manzer both got thier start from....

The business, art and science of guitar building today according to William Laskin. It goes without saying that Grit has long been a hero of mine.
http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video...making-12-23-11-1-00-pm/jvl2aut3?preview=true

... Jean Larriveé .... and probably thier inlay skill from Jean's wife Wendy.
http://www.larrivee.com/instruments/acoustics/inlays.php
click links under her picture... those are just the ones avaliable from the factory. If you search around, especially through the Larriveé Forum, you can find some other real gems.

Linda Manzer was with Jean Larriveé in mid 70's. here is a link to her inlay page; http://www.manzer.com/guitars/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=16
More impressive examples can be found if you look around a bit.

Grit Laskin was with Jean Larriveé in the early 70's and may have been there at the same time as Linda Manzer.

That had to be the place to be when they were all in that 1st shop, getting it together, together.

Larriveé has offerd ukulele's in the past that seem to command a lot of respect $$$$.....when you can find one.

I have owned 5 Larriveé guitars, and loved each... My L-03 Australian Blackwood (black acacia) is my daily player.

Thanks for sharing that link Chuck.
I know exactly how Howard Green felt - I was fortunate enough to visit Chuck in his shop last year. I had NO idea just how crazy the whole process is and it really gave me a stong appreciation for the talent, skill, and focus these gentlemen posess.

I'm also a couple thousand miles closer to Chuck's shop now, and I hope to visit again soon. There is rumor I might make it over to the big island for the Merry Monarch festival, I have some friends performing there this year...

Thanks for the link, Chuck. Cool interview. I only have one Laskin story. At an ASIA symposium in the early '90s Grit was shmoozing with a few folks on the "showroom" floor and one guy in particular kept butting in. He wanted a Laskin guitar and he wanted to pay $14,000. He'd come up with a set of Brazilian and ask if he could supply that himself and still reach $14,000, and as he scouted the floor he'd come back to ask if he could have this or that and not go over $14,000. Grit finally told him that for $14,000 the guy could have about anything Grit knew how to do. As a Nobody who hardly ever sold an instrument for over $1000 I was totally blown away. It was educational, informative, enlightening, and depressing, all at the same time. . . .Let us not forget that Laskin did some cool work as part of Stan Rogers' band before most of us knew he had luthing chops.

Thanks for sharing that link Chuck.
I know exactly how Howard Green felt - I was fortunate enough to visit Chuck in his shop last year. I had NO idea just how crazy the whole process is and it really gave me a stong appreciation for the talent, skill, and focus these gentlemen posess.

I'm also a couple thousand miles closer to Chuck's shop now, and I hope to visit again soon. There is rumor I might make it over to the big island for the Merry Monarch festival, I have some friends performing there this year...

Aha! You made the move. Congratulations. Look me up when you come to Big island.

Between friends, when discussing such talent, we say, "Yeah, he's a real A-hole!" And then we laugh because he's the guy we all want to be. But maybe you just have to be there. Feigned jealousy can be the highest tribute.

Between friends, when discussing such talent, we say, "Yeah, he's a real A-hole!" And then we laugh because he's the guy we all want to be. But maybe you just have to be there. Feigned jealousy can be the highest tribute.

Haha! We've just had the same discussion here. Steve Grimes on Maui is similarly gifted.

Hey Chuck, I just came from the gallery on you web page. "Obviously the work of an A-hole, haha!" Man, I love your scrimshawed women. Too much good stuff for one visit. I'll go back later for the rest.

Top Bottom