A Look At My New (Old) Martin Style 3

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
I made this the day I got the ukulele, but couldn't get it to upload to YouTube until today. Anyway, here it is:

I made this the day I got the ukulele, but couldn't get it to upload to YouTube until today. Anyway, here it is:

Cleaned up real nice! Awesome instrument! Can't wait to hear more when you get some new strings.

I have a set of Worth BMs on the way from Elderly (along with a decent case).

I like Worths on mine, too. I got a rectangular Fremont case case for mine. I like it because it has a larger storage compartment with a lid on which I can easily clip an oasis hygrometer.

Wow Chris..yes it did clean up well.. Are you gonna try some M600 on them...my favorite, martin strings...

Nice Chris,

Are you going to the Ukulele World congress representing Colorado?

congrats on the purchase. Did you get that Gibson? Did you buy that from Denver Folklore Center?

Nice Chris,

Are you going to the Ukulele World congress representing Colorado?

congrats on the purchase. Did you get that Gibson? Did you buy that from Denver Folklore Center?

I doubt that I'll be going to the Ukulele World Congress, since it's the same weekend as my wife's birthday, and not something she'd be likely to want to do... it's also just a month after the big pipe collecting show I go to in Chicago every year. Maybe someday I will make it though. I'd love to go sometime.
Well... I DID get a Gibson, but not the one from the Denver Folklore Center. It's LIKE the one there, though. It's not here yet. I don't know what the heck I was thinking! Pics when it arrives.
The Martin didn't come from the D.F.C. either. Both were eBay things.

Last edited:
Wow Chris..yes it did clean up well.. Are you gonna try some M600 on them...my favorite, martin strings...

Stan, I have some Worth Brown Mediums on the way. I have M600s on my other two Martins, and I really like them, but I thought I'd try something different. Strings are cheap though, so I can always switch them later on.

Beautiful Ukulele Chris! Congratulations! I run Worth BM's on mine and really really love them. Be ready for a bit more percussive response on the bass end (at least from what I can tell from the sound sample).
Here is mine with BM's on it...like I could play the darn thing anyway.
Flamin' Mamie

Can't you ask your wife to change her birthdate? Ann Landers had some recommendations for some guy who wanted to go golfing on their anniversary. Bribery. ANything is negotiable.

Congrats Chris, the uke cleaned up well and for old strings, sounds pretty good. I haven't tried Worths on my Martins but like Fremont Blacklines as much as Stan likes M600's, which I have tried. I have a set of Worths and will try them on my 50's Gibson soon as well as a 20's Gretsch. And you won that Gibson too. sheesh, thanks for keeping the economic recovery going <g>. Enjoy, my friend. g2

Congrats Chris, the uke cleaned up well and for old strings, sounds pretty good. I haven't tried Worths on my Martins but like Fremont Blacklines as much as Stan likes M600's, which I have tried. I have a set of Worths and will try them on my 50's Gibson soon as well as a 20's Gretsch. And you won that Gibson too. sheesh, thanks for keeping the economic recovery going <g>. Enjoy, my friend. g2

Yeah, the Gibson was kind of a last minute "Hey, NO one has bid on this thing!" deal, and I'm not sure what I was thinking... but I played a different Gibson U3 in Denver in September and absolutely LOVED it. This one was exactly half the price of that one. So how could I NOT buy it???

Yeah, the Gibson was kind of a last minute "Hey, NO one has bid on this thing!" deal, and I'm not sure what I was thinking... but I played a different Gibson U3 in Denver in September and absolutely LOVED it. This one was exactly half the price of that one. So how could I NOT buy it???
Aloha Chris,
So is that your excuse to T? hee hee

Aloha Chris,
Beautiful uke, congrats.............................BO......................

Lovely uke! Congrats on getting your dream uke!

Also, as a completely off topic aside, your pipe collection has me quite green with envy. It is just visible over your right shoulder and it is quite impressive. Nice!

Can I ask how much you paid for it. I know vintage Martin 5ks are some of the most desireable/expensive ukes around but don't know much about these 3k ones. Cracking looking and sounding uke by the way.

Can I ask how much you paid for it. I know vintage Martin 5ks are some of the most desireable/expensive ukes around but don't know much about these 3k ones. Cracking looking and sounding uke by the way.

I got it for $1500, which is a lot, but less than I've seen them sell for. Elderly Instruments had two a couple of years ago that sold for just under $3000 each if I remember correctly. They MIGHT have been 3Ks, but I am pretty sure they were the mahogany version like this one.

Lovely uke! Congrats on getting your dream uke!

Also, as a completely off topic aside, your pipe collection has me quite green with envy. It is just visible over your right shoulder and it is quite impressive. Nice!

Thank you for noticing the pipes. Only PART of the collection is visible. I think I have a little over 500, but I haven't actually counted them in ages. I'll be listing a few on eBay in the upcoming months to help pay for this Martin! I've been collecting pipes for about 25 years, but now I do most of my pipe buying at the big pipe collecting show in Chicago (Saint Charles, actually) every May.
I just looked at the video again, and you can actually only see a TINY portion of the pipe collection!

Thank you for noticing the pipes. Only PART of the collection is visible. I think I have a little over 500, but I haven't actually counted them in ages. I'll be listing a few on eBay in the upcoming months to help pay for this Martin! I've been collecting pipes for about 25 years, but now I do most of my pipe buying at the big pipe collecting show in Chicago (Saint Charles, actually) every May.
I just looked at the video again, and you can actually only see a TINY portion of the pipe collection!
That is fantastic! I do ask that you shoot me a pm before you put them up on evilbay! My friend and I are very into pipes, he moreso than I, so, let me know please and thanks!

Top Bottom