This is bad. And this is a bad, bad place

Gwynedd

Reaction score
I just ordered my "first" uke (actually it will be my third, but I stopped playing for years.)

I'm waiting for a very nice Mainland mahogany uke from Uke Republic (nice guys) and now I've been listening to samples around here (darn y'all) and found my NEXT uke (a five string Ohana, the sound.....!)

Now, I played geetar as a kid, and piano and usually, ONE of those will do you for a while, but what IS it about ukes? There are too many: soprano, concert, tenor, baritone, pineapple, different woods, five string, eight string, banjolele for pete's sake. And all those Youtubes.

STOP IT! I'm going crazy.

So I will have to restrain myself and if I get to a proficiency (play through a particular book of music) I MAY let myself get that five string Ohana....holy camolly, what have yall done to me?

its not a mindaltering addicting habit.

I say that and I've got 60 of the little things.

I just ordered my "first" uke (actually it will be my third, but I stopped playing for years.)

I'm waiting for a very nice Mainland mahogany uke from Uke Republic (nice guys) and now I've been listening to samples around here (darn y'all) and found my NEXT uke (a five string Ohana, the sound.....!)

Now, I played geetar as a kid, and piano and usually, ONE of those will do you for a while, but what IS it about ukes? There are too many: soprano, concert, tenor, baritone, pineapple, different woods, five string, eight string, banjolele for pete's sake. And all those Youtubes.

STOP IT! I'm going crazy.

So I will have to restrain myself and if I get to a proficiency (play through a particular book of music) I MAY let myself get that five string Ohana....holy camolly, what have yall done to me?

I can promise you two things...one you'll be always happy playing it and two...you'll never get bored because there are so many different types and styles of playing them...

SIXTY !!???

and I have the next two lined up (the 5 string and a Dolphin in red or blue for knocking about.)

Now, off to a piano store with a friend. The guys there sold her an absolutely TERRIBLE piano. I mean, it should be given to Gallagher to be covered in watermelon shards. A Kawai. Muffled, with a few loud notes here and. Unregulated action. I'm gonna beat those guys up. Seriously. They're gonna get six feet and 200 pounds of mad woman.

After years of playing mandolin, moving to uke seems like a bargain. I can get 3 or 4 fantastic ukes for the price of one top quality mandolin.

So sorry to hear that you've contracted UAS (not). Have fun, and welcome to the disease!

Welcome to the UAS support group.

I have an Ohana 5 string and it's great! You may have trouble finding one though. They don't seem to be available anymore. If someone still has one in stock you should seriously consider ordering it.

I love my 5 string Ohana. You might contact Ohana directly, and see if they can locate one for you. If you have an opportunity to get one, don't hesitate. It is an excellent and distinctive instrument.

–Lori

Good idea. Best of luck holding firm on that resolution if you spend much time browsing UU, especially the Marketplace. I know we're all having fun kidding around about UAS, but I do wonder if it doesn't hamper some people's development as uke players...most especially those just starting out. And I say this after having acquired 3 ukes in my first 4 weeks. :eek:

Welcome to the wonderful world of UAS!

No looking back now :D

Having multiple ukuleles isn't anything to be ashamed of. I know one person who has a baby grand piano, a spinet, an upright grand, and 5 or 6 electronic keyboards. For the money invested in that lot, I could have a couple of custom made instruments.

I've currently got 11 ukuleles... and I'm waiting for one that I've sent a check for.

But I plan on thinning the herd soon.. .Honestly!

(Probably going to sell the Epiphone Les Paul that Tudorp did not set up... and possibly one more that doesn't get played too much....)

-Kurt​

Did Ohana stop making it? Because the SOUND is incredible. Oh well I'll put a Islander with a pickup on the UAS list and I have a pact that I have to learn a piece by Tarrega or Sor (gulp) before I can buy another.

Check with Ohana on the 5 string. It is a fairly new design, and I know they sold-out the first batch very quickly. They may be still getting the manufacturing details adjusted for the demand. They are really nice people there, and their headquarters is in Long Beach California. I believe all their instruments are set-up in Long Beach before they are sent to retailers.
–Lori

Last edited:
Now, I played geetar as a kid, and piano and usually, ONE of those will do you for a while, but what IS it about ukes?

One guitar! One guitar! Sacrilege! That's...that's...inhumane - they get lonely, you know.

I still have more guitars than ukes, though they don't get played as often as before I got my first uke.

I did know a guy who collected pianos they way some of us accumulate guitars or ukes. He didn't have enough room in his house so he had one or two pianos in most of his relatives homes.

John

Top Bottom