Pick-up The World Pickups

Lanark

Reaction score
I was doing a bit of poking around exploring pickup options without much in particular in mind beyond knowing a bit more about what the options are. (Which is a good way to do some ukulele related shopping without any intentions of purchase)

I came across a brand that I had not previously heard of that has some reasonably interesting reviews (at least for the guitar ones) called Pick-Up the World. They make a number of pickups designed for a number of more ethnic instruments (It certainly can't be easy to find a decent Oud pickup)

I was wondering if anybody around here has any personal experience with their products, specifically the one designed for ukulele.

I had one of their prototype guitar pickups many years ago. I did not get good results with it due to critical and experimental placement requirements, however they had a dedicated following. They also have a pickup for any and everything. i appreciate their creativity.

For contact pickups I have always had great success with K&K on a wide range of instruments.

I read that some folks had some difficulty with placement as far as the contact pickups went, but I was more curious about their undersaddle ones.

Last edited:
I had an octave mandolin with an under saddle PUTW pickup. It faithfully reproduced the tone of the instrument. I ran it through a Fishman preamp.

I have been thinking about trying their "Quack Buster" - which is a contact pickup that you wire in parallel to the USP. It appears to do a pretty good job of eliminating the piezo quack and re-introduces some of the "ambient" acoustic sounds of the instrument. (At least from what I have seen on the you tubes). I absolutely hate the sound of piezo USPs without blending in a mic or something else.

I know they've been around for quite a while with a pretty heavy following in the acoustic guitar scene. Placement is a bit critical, from what I've read. I don't know if it's more critical than other soundboard contact pickups.

John

Top Bottom