Vietnam Stuff

Rondog

Reaction score
Anyone have any experiences with the ukes coming out of Vietnam?

Any issues, likes, or dislikes?

Not trying to knock any of the product but is the quality on the China or Hawaiian/USA side?

Would like to hear from others experiences.

My only personal impression from Feebay browsing is that some of them are extremely beautiful and unique in my opinion.

Thoughts?

example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROSE-INLAY-...544?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519c881b40

I can't comment on any of the Vietnamese made instruments, but I think it would be a bit of a stretch to compare their quality (or even the Chinese-made quality) to the ukes made in Hawai'i

Some people have apparently experienced some issues with the products sold by the Ebay vendor in your link. http://www.chionline.com/Antoniotsai/index.html

I owned one the solidbody electrics that he used to sell. The electronics died, but that was probably due to my own foolishness in forgetting to unplug the amp cable for about a month. The build quality on that particular uke was actually quite good.

My experience with Vietnamese instruments including ukuleles and mandolins is VERY hit and miss. Some look great but are real lemons, others are fine. They tend to like alot of bling on them. I'd be very hesitant to buy one unseen/unplayed, unless it is easliy returned.

Yikes!!!! Maybe he should use his abalone pieces for Christmas ornaments or something!

Wow!

Just goes to show that you need to have a lot of trust in who you are buying from.

Thanks for posting the information.

In same token big island ukes are made in vietnam and aren't anuenue? Bruce wei ukes are vietnamese and alot of folks liked those after tudorp got his hands on them.

The Antoin or whatever his ebay name is, RUN AWAY.. Bruce Wei ukes, are like said above, hit and miss. Bruce makes a decent uke, but doesn't bother much to set up properly. You have a high chance of getting a lemon, but also like said, if ya get a good one, it's a good one. I have 3 in my collection, and I have done pretty extensive work on each of them, and they are awesome playing ukes, and look nice. QA is not the best, so if ya buy an Ebay one, count on having to do some work on it.

I have done a bit of business with Bruce, so he made sure the ones I got were out of his best stuff. The ebay ones, well, a crap shoot, but if ya get it cheap enough, may be worth the risk.

Last edited:
Ah! I must be thinking of another company. Maybe Aria? Thought something started with an "A" (scratches head...)

Ayers builds great instruments. Truly handmade instruments at a great price. I would put their quality at or above the very best from China including Eastman.

I bought a Bruce Wei Tenor Pineapple uke on ebay & needed to spend $50 on it to get it set up correctly as it buzzed badly on the first fret. Bruce then credited me $30 towards that cost and the uke is really lovely sounding now & my husband loves it! So all up, it cost me just over $100, delivered - but I DO need to get a bag/case for it.
Picture 2.jpg

My sister's partner bought a beautiful looking uke in Saigon for about $50 - beautifully made, high gloss, lots of trim around the edges. He will be replacing the current strings with Aquilas for the brighter sound
John's Saigon Uke.jpg

It is a already a delightful sounding uke & was purchased in a Saigon Music Store

cheerio

Roberta

Has anyone ever heard of Moku Ukuleles, made in Vietnam? I saw some prototypes at our Ukulele Getaway, they looked and sounded really great. I am strongly considering purchasing a new one soon.

Top Bottom