B Scales?

modern day ukuleleist

Reaction score
I'm trying to teach myself music theory.

My soprano only has 12 frets. Am I correct in saying that I can't play all the notes in the B scales or B#/Cb scales? I don't have a high B or anything higher.

Yeah, It seems like you only have 1 B on your instrument so you wouldnt have the entire scale. The easiest way to fix this would be to get a low-g but you could also get a longer necked ukulele.

Also, since youre learning theory right now, there really isnt a B# or Cb scale. You would just call it a C major scale.

I'm trying to teach myself music theory.

My soprano only has 12 frets. Am I correct in saying that I can't play all the notes in the B scales or B#/Cb scales? I don't have a high B or anything higher.

Umm... actually you can play a B major scale....Just not tonic to tonic. i.e. B -> B
you can play Dominant to dominant, supra tonic to supra tonic etc.

For example.
Supra tonic to supra tonic is C# D# E F# G# A# B C#

play 3rd string 1st fret, then third fret = C# D#
then second string open, 2,4th = E F# G#
then 1st string 1 2nd 4th = [A#/Bb] B C#

at least 5 variations are possible with your setup I believe.

As for B# (C scale) and Cb (B scale) I think that answers that? C scale is from 1st position and B scale is as above..Unless I am missing something? :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah, It seems like you only have 1 B on your instrument so you wouldnt have the entire scale. The easiest way to fix this would be to get a low-g but you could also get a longer necked ukulele.

Also, since youre learning theory right now, there really isnt a B# or Cb scale. You would just call it a C major scale.

B# = C

Cb = B

D'oh, I knew that.

Top Bottom