Unbelievable! Ancient uke-like Alaskan instrument revealed

gokidd

Reaction score
From some of the evidence, it looks like the instrument was designed to be used in joyful ceremonies.
LINK HERE

What a find! Where do you think I could find one like that?

What a find! Where do you think I could find one like that?

This one was seen in a riverbank cut.
But I have done some further research and it is said that the hills are alive with the sound of music.

Hah! Made me look!

Fantastic! I live near by. I'll spend the weekend searching the banks for any others!

Marvelous! Looks like it was owned by a Raven clan member, probably a shaman who used it in healing ceremonies. I'm surprised there seems to be no yellow cedar used in the building of it but the pineapple-ish shape makes me think it is newer, maybe closer to only 100 years old. There must have been a Pacific Islander who was lost at sea in a storm, and washed up in his battered outrigger on the shores of BC way back, who brought the sacred knowledge to the Northwest Coast Indian artisan (it sure looks Haida to me) who created this beauty. How it got to Alaska I can't figure, the formline art there is more variable, but it was probably traded for copper. The pickup is a little fishy though. Maybe someone found this fine instrument previously and recently, and altered it; then realizing it was sacred and they might arouse the wrath of Dznokwa, put it back. That would explain it being completely exposed on the bank and not still partially buried.

There must have been a Pacific Islander who was lost at sea in a storm, and washed up in his battered outrigger on the shores of BC way back, who brought the sacred knowledge to the Northwest Coast Indian artisan (it sure looks Haida to me) who created this beauty.

You nailed it, Teek.
Sometimes the obvious answer is the best.

lol thats great love the artwork

this makes perfect sence. not too long ago I read an article that scientist found a link between early hawaiians and a particular eskimo tribe , theory that they actualy traveled from alaska south to the islands, not north from the south pacific.

unless it is an instrument from a later era brought by captain cook ;)

http://www.akhistorycourse.org/articles/article.php?artID=234

Hee-hee! Love the artwork.

Top Bottom