Carrying Bag for Jam Sessions

nix

Reaction score
Does anyone have a great bag they use to haul everything needed to a jam session? I attend an every other week session that uses the Daily Ukulele book. I end up bringing a uke in it's own case, a music stand, the book, a 3 ring binder, a pencil, a tuner and some sort of beverage. It's really hard to carry all that stuff from the car and I'm wondering if someone has found the perfect bag or a great compact system.

Thanks in advance!

Nix

Does anyone have a great bag they use to haul everything needed to a jam session? I attend an every other week session that uses the Daily Ukulele book. I end up bringing a uke in it's own case, a music stand, the book, a 3 ring binder, a pencil, a tuner and some sort of beverage. It's really hard to carry all that stuff from the car and I'm wondering if someone has found the perfect bag or a great compact system.

Thanks in advance!

Nix

Fusion Tenor Ukulele Limited Edition Gig Bag. Everything, provided that the beverage is in a properly sealed and insulated container.

Last edited:
I bring my uke in its case and then throw the music stand, sheet music, notebook, strap, etc. in a backpack.

For ages I've used an ordinary soft carry on bag that has a frame on the bottom, a telescoping handle, and wheels. I don't carry a music stand but I do carry a custom made pedal board, all of my cables, a couple of power supplies, music books, and a bottle of water.

This was about twenty bucks at WalMart and it has served me well for a couple of years. It's large enough that one of those music stands that fold up really small would fit in it easily.

My bass multi-effects pedal started acting flakey lately and so decided to start using my Tonelab LE even though it's technically a "guitar" processor. I bought a nice padded case for the Tonelab as it is a bit too expensive and fragile for me to feel comfortable with the "toss it in the duffle bag with the other junk" plan. :)

I have begun using a kind of backpack that has an open section between the main body and a secondary 'body' so that there is a space between the two 'bodies'. I place the ukulele and a music stand in the 'space' and my all-in-one music notebook (3-ring binder) in the larger 'body', the one attached to the backpack shoulder straps. The smaller 'body' contains my tuner and other smaller items.

For my gigs, I use a rolling backpack for my Roland MicroCube with a lapel mic, rechargeable battery pack, tip basket. I carry a large, hummer of a portable music stand. I carry my songbooks in a separate shoulder bag that also contains my ukulele stand.

Good luck on finding exactly what you need for your ukulele travels!

keep uke'in',

Carrying Bag

I use a similar bag, slightly smaller than this one, and it holds everything you mentioned including my cased uke. Don't know where I got it, maybe intended to be a sports bag. This one's 36" x 18"...on Amazon

lge duffle bag.jpg

Thank you for all your help! The Fusion bag looks gorgeous but a bit pricey since I just bought a Reunion Blues case. Based on everyone's advice, I think I'm going to try to get a smaller folding music stand and fit everything into a backpack.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Nix

Just a FYI, if you take that Big Daily Uke Book with you, it doesn't fit too well on a smaller stand. More than one of us at our Jams has had the book slide right off. One of our granddaughters (with her mother's help) painted a large tote for me that says Ukulele Grandma on the front and pictures of the grandkids on the back. That's my choice of bags now.

I use a Fusion bag (not the one shown) for my tenor sax. It's a great bag. I like the add-on bag capability, though I find that as you load stuff into a big bag, the obvious happens: it gets heavy.

I use the Supertote on this page - http://playuke.net/uke-store
The price is right, it's sturdy, good pockets but not too many, a ring to hook my wallet/keys on. Usual contents - pineapple Kala Kiwi in gig bag (sticking out), +/- foldable metal music stand, Daily Ukulele book or Ipad, Big Binder O'Songs, water bottle, plus random stuff. Works fine for this short middle aged woman.

How about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GJ04EWD8JHR1BFEB3P2

Or they make a less frills one that it just the crate and it collapses. I have a plain version, My son uses it all the time and can carry his amp (line 6 spider 15 w) foot pedal, cords etc.. a smaller amp, mic etc.. then carries his guitar. The crate with the pockets leaves spaces for smaller things like tuner, pens, etc... I imagine the uke case would fit in it as well as music stand.

There is an alternative not being discussed. Get a folding hand cart, something like in this link (or at Lowes) and use a plastic
mile crate" basket to hold your stuff. Just roll every thing to your gig site. I use one, on the bottom, to hold a VoX Mini3, a mike, a headset, some chords and some other items and a second basket on top for other stuff like song books and the like. Works for me

Ralph

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m.../best-value-folding-hand-cart-150-lb-capacity

Top Bottom