Ukulele song book

tomelk31

Reaction score
I have just order my first Ukulele; the Makala MK-S. I have found a good Ukulele ebook to teach me the basic chords, reading tabs and strumming. What is a good songbook for beginners?

I like all sorts of music so something with a variation would be good!

Same here. My wife got me The Daily Ukulele for Christmas. I've been strumming Crazy and Love Me Tender ever since.

I just got a copy of Fingerstyle Solos. Goes over various musical styles, from traditional to blues, has a CD. Nice book. Tablature and musical notation. Spanish songs, Hawaiian songs, folk songs, classical tunes, blues. Very nice book.

Another option is chordie.com. Lots of songs and many with different levels of difficulty. There is a ukulele setting and if the chords are too weird you can transpose it to one you like.

Have fun.

Between Chordie.com and The Daily Ukulele I've pretty much got all I need for quite some time... Good luck!

Get the daily uke. When you start going to jam sessions (and you will eventually) You'll be glad you did.

.... also download a free copy of uncle Rod's ukulele bootcamp to get you going on all those chords. Not easy at first, but take it slow and you'll have a good command of the basic chords in no time.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies I will have a look at the suggestions and let you know what I decide!

In addition to the Daily Uke, I like Fingerstyle Solos which has a CD and starts easy (yeah, twinkle twinkle) but very soon there is a lovely Hawaiian piece and the CD in the book includes showing some mixing with instrumentation, giving you an idea of what you can do with a pickup and some mixing software. The book has one unique thing; start with "All through the night" which we all know as a folk song, then it gives another version of it later in the book, as you advance. Many styles, many genres. A very good sampler plus instruction. If you like E books, the What Ukulele Players Want to Know is a good reference about stringing and MANY other uke topics, not on how to play but on the uke itself and much else. Highly recommended. Comes in print and ebook (Kindle)

I have just order my first Ukulele; the Makala MK-S. I have found a good Ukulele ebook to teach me the basic chords, reading tabs and strumming. What is a good songbook for beginners?

I like all sorts of music so something with a variation would be good!
Since you have a book on basics and looking for a songbook . . . I would recommend checking out UU's Ukulele Resource thread. There are links to almost anything ukulele related to include theory, songbooks, tabs, lyric/chord sheets and websites. Lots of downloadable info.

In addition to the Daily Uke, I like Fingerstyle Solos which has a CD and starts easy (yeah, twinkle twinkle) but very soon there is a lovely Hawaiian piece and the CD in the book includes showing some mixing with instrumentation, giving you an idea of what you can do with a pickup and some mixing software. The book has one unique thing; start with "All through the night" which we all know as a folk song, then it gives another version of it later in the book, as you advance. Many styles, many genres. A very good sampler plus instruction. If you like E books, the What Ukulele Players Want to Know is a good reference about stringing and MANY other uke topics, not on how to play but on the uke itself and much else. Highly recommended. Comes in print and ebook (Kindle)

I have downloaded the kindle book and it is great. Will keep me busy!

My Ukulele arrived today and I havent put it down much. I have memorised about 5 or 6 chords. I have been learning Hey Ya by Outcast which only uses 4 chords and Happy Birthday using finger picking techniques. Is there any songs that people recommend which dont have too many chords and not too diffiuclt strumming pattern.

My rhythm is good from playing the piano for 7 years but I struggle to sing and play diffiuclt rhythms at the same time.

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Last edited:
Check out Ukulele Mike (musicteacher2010)on YouTube. He "sells" his sheet music via $5 donation for each piece. I'd go for any one of his trilogy starting with Paris Nocturne, then River of Dreams, and Cherry Blossoms.

They're all three fingerstyle with very basic left hand fingering (usually only two fingers) that serve as great right hand pattern exercises.

Thanks Gwynedd,
I just ended up ordering both of your recommendations plus 101 Ukulele Licks. You can't have too many books, right?

Thanks for the reply. The book should arrive on Wednesday. I have been going over chords and trying to get chord changes quicker. Is there any good exercise for this? In particular anything chord change to G?

The best thing is to isolate each chord change, and practice it slowly for 5-10 min a day, until it becomes automatic. Don't worry about speed it will come, it's simply a matter of developing muscle memory, which takes practice and some time to develop.

Thanks for the reply. The book should arrive on Wednesday. I have been going over chords and trying to get chord changes quicker. Is there any good exercise for this? In particular anything chord change to G?

Thank you for the replies! I have taken both comments and changed the way I was practicing. I have noticed a massive improvement in the way I am playing already! :)

The song I was struggle on, I can now get through!

Click on my FREE Songbook link - if it's not beneath my signature, look a Kanaka916's post and click on the Boot Camp link.

Once there, click on my email address with (at) spelled out. That will take you to another page/screen where you should
find the FREE Songbook link.

those songs have accompanying practice sheets to assist you with learning chords and practicing chord changes for a particular
song in the Song Book.

Keep uke'in',

Top Bottom