looking for a builder in the Portland Oregon area

ukebuilder

Reaction score
If you live in the Portland area I would love to get together and chat. Needing a few pointers and a little help. Or just meet someone that builds in my area. PM me if you might be interested in meeting up.

Ukebuilder,
You know, Mya Moe is in White Salmon, WA. About 1 1/2 hours up river from you. Don't know about their policy around visitors, but they seem like pretty nice folks. It might be worth an e-mail to them via their web-site.

Just a thought.

Mark Roberts and Kerry Char are tops in their craft, both Portland I believe.

Which brings up a point, not directed at the OP but to anyone visiting someone else's shop. If you are a novice builder expecting to get some tips and learn some things from experienced builder, make sure you acknowledge him in terms of a gift of some sort. It's just being respectful. It could be a bit of unusual wood you have laying around, a piece of fruit or a jar of nuts or whatever your home town is known for. Remember, you're asking him to stop his work and routine for an hour or three. Show him you appreciate his time and experience.

Let me guess what you are supposed to bring to Chuck Moore... :)

Mark Roberts and Kerry Char are tops in their craft, both Portland I believe.

Which brings up a point, not directed at the OP but to anyone visiting someone else's shop. If you are a novice builder expecting to get some tips and learn some things from experienced builder, make sure you acknowledge him in terms of a gift of some sort. It's just being respectful. It could be a bit of unusual wood you have laying around, a piece of fruit or a jar of nuts or whatever your home town is known for. Remember, you're asking him to stop his work and routine for an hour or three. Show him you appreciate his time and experience.

I believe Black Bear Ukuleles are made in Yakima WA. Maybe that's too far away... I live about five hours from Denver, and like to drive over there a few times a year to do "big city" stuff that I can't do here in Western Colorado. And I learned how to drive when I lived in Wyoming, and it was nothing to drive five or six hours to go do something that you couldn't do in Casper. Which, come to think of it, was just about EVERYTHING!

Ukebuilder,
You know, Mya Moe is in White Salmon, WA. About 1 1/2 hours up river from you. Don't know about their policy around visitors, but they seem like pretty nice folks. It might be worth an e-mail to them via their web-site.

Just a thought.

I have talked to them and they are fine with me coming out, I just need to find a good time. I have had many people over at my shop wanting to learn how to make cigar box instruments and have even given a lesson or two. I am new to Ukes and also new to bending so I just want to get it right before I destroy a good piece of wood. I would be glad to share what I know and also my lifetime supply of awesome walnut with someone who could give me a few pointers.

A couple hours south, Eugene area

Josh Humphrys is making some nice stuff. Never met him, but have played a cedar top tenor that was very nice

Spruce House ukuleles

Covered Bridge ukuleles in Cottage Grove. Very nice brothers. Had a great visit with them a month ago when checking out an all solid Myrtlewood tenor. Very very nice.

All of the above, plus Brad Donaldson is in Cannon Beach. My family and I spent a wonderful afternoon with him in Cannon Beach when he was getting started on my uke, and another lovely afternoon when he dropped the uke off at our home in Portland when he was done...

All of the above, plus Brad Donaldson is in Cannon Beach. My family and I spent a wonderful afternoon with him in Cannon Beach when he was getting started on my uke, and another lovely afternoon when he dropped the uke off at our home in Portland when he was done...

Thanks, Brad has also contacted me and we are looking at setting up a time. This is a great place and the people are as great.

You can't go wrong with Brad...One of the friendliest guys I know and I've never met him!!! Haha

I picked his brain on my uke to be and always sincere with his answers on the phone and email. If that's the case, I'm sure he's very willing to share his knowledge in person!!

Top Bottom