Looking to buy used...

Bitzerbarks

Reaction score
Hello Ukuverse!

I've been an on-again off-again lurker since I got my uke two years ago (mostly looking for how-to videos and chords) and this is the first time I've needed to post. I haven't played in the marketplace before so excuse me if I have bad manners.

My fiance and I recently moved to Minneapolis and his beloved Fluke didn't make the move in one piece. Honestly, it didn't even make it in a few pieces. I've already looked into repairing it but given the extent of damage it's unsalvageable. I believe he is a naturally gifted musician and I've never seen him bond with an instrument like the ukulele. He's the reason I ever picked up the uke in the first place and with his birthday around the corner, I'd like to give back to him.

I'd really like to get him something special but having just moved and come through the holidays, I don't have as much money to play with as I'd like. So this is just a general call to see what's out there right now, just in case a miracle could happen...

I know he would be happy with another fluke (this time with a wood fretboard as it was his only complaint) but an upgrade wouldn't hurt either.

He believes strongly in purchasing American made goods (assembly alone doesn't count!) but even more strongly in artisan works (luthier school is on his bucket list).Those are my only limitations. Doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles or even look the best. It can be dinged and scuffed up as long as it still sounds good. I'm open to anything!

In a perfect world, there'd be a concert or tenor Boat Paddle out there looking for a new home. I can assure you it would get tons of love!

I would prefer to spend up to $500ish but would be willing to spring for a K-brand and definitely Boat Paddle.

Even if nothing comes of this, thank you all for reading and sharing the uke love!

Update!: I think it's worth mentioning that I think a banjolele could be a very good fit for him too, though I don't know a lick about them. Also, please don't hesitate to PM me!

Last edited:
Bitzerbarks,

It's not a Fluke, so it's probably a smaller scale than your fiance is used to, but you can't really go wrong with this one:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...neapple-Macadamia-Wood-Ukuleles-by-Black-Bear

I have a pineapple from Duane's last batch, and it's just fantastic: it's a joy to play, it's beautiful to look at, and it definitely fits your criterion for American made. If you check out Duane at blackbearukuleles.net you'll see he's been at this for a long time.

Best of luck -- and congratulations.

A tad above your price preference but looks like Mike Pereira still has a Style 2 Tenor available. http://mpukuleles.com/For_Sale.html
Have no personal knowledge but his work has gotten good reviews from owners.

Connor,

Thanks for the prompt reply and well wishes!

I've been eyeing blackbears myself and that macadamia is just to die for.

I am concerned, though, because the last time I can remember him tinkering with a soprano he was much too cramped and had trouble with some chords. Granted, that was when he first started playing so maybe it won't be quite so difficult now?

I think I'll "accidentally" meander into a music shop with him this weekend and hand him a soprano to see what happens.

Thanks again!

A tad above your price preference but looks like Mike Pereira still has a Style 2 Tenor available. http://mpukuleles.com/For_Sale.html
Have no personal knowledge but his work has gotten good reviews from owners.

Thank you for pointing this out Pat! I'll look around for reviews to read immediately.

As far as price goes, don't worry! I'm pretty darn flexible and I'm willing to shell out for the right uke.

Hello Ukuverse!

Update!: I think it's worth mentioning that I think a banjolele could be a very good fit for him too, though I don't know a lick about them. Also, please don't hesitate to PM me!

Take a good look at the Firefly Banjo Uke - it is made by the wonderful folks at Magic Fluke - mine has the Flea soprano (plus a touch) scale neck, I got it with the rosewood fretboard, and upgraded to the peghed tuners.n With the upgrades, it is in the $300 range. Made in Sheffield, MA.

Also, if you call Magic Fluke, they often have Factory Seconds in the shop - that's how I got my Tenor Fluke - And they all played as good as the first quality, and I'd have never known that they were seconds, if they didn't tell me. I think I saved around 45% on mine.

Good luck in Mpls. And if you like Science Fiction, check out Minn-Stf on line. They're great folks!

-Kurt​

Also, if you call Magic Fluke, they often have Factory Seconds in the shop - that's how I got my Tenor Fluke - And they all played as good as the first quality, and I'd have never known that they were seconds, if they didn't tell me. I think I saved around 45% on mine.
-Kurt​

Kurt,

You've provided nothing but gold here. I had no idea that factory seconds were available. That's got to be the coolest thing I've heard in 2011.

And thanks for the heads up on Minn-StF; I've heard CONvergence is a must around here!

Take a look at the Sailor ukes! All sizes in your price range. Give Mike a call, he is great to work with.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your prompt replies! Sorry for disappearing for a bit there. I'm trying to surprise my fiance so I have to check up on UU on the sly.

Rest assured, I am answering my PMs and checking this thread whenever i have a chance.

I am currently exploring the option of buying from a local luthier, but I do not know how good a fit it would be so please keep the offers coming!

I don't if this is one you might be interested, but I'm selling a beautiful solid mango wood tenor Big Island uke, that I believe was made in Hawaii.

Not to step on a potential sale, but Big Island, while a Hawaiian company, manufactures their ukes in Vietnam.

Thank you all for your help! I think I found "the one" :eek:

I really appreciate all the help I've recieved. Though I lurked for years, I'm now looking forward to becoming a contributing member of the UU community!

Top Bottom