Luna Great Wave Soprano -- wonderful!

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
I just bought this $80 Luna Great Wave Soprano for my son's b-day, and man, this thing is awesome! Good build and sound, and Aquillas right out of the box. Half decent gig bag, too (notice, I didn;t say fully decent).

I'm impressed for the price, this Luna is superb. Just mentioning it.:rolleyes:

And here's a video of Aaron--amazing, really--on this $80 uke. (if slow to load, clikc on HD symbol and it goes to low rez).

http://vimeo.com/26261942

What are your thoughts on Luna sopranos? Sopranos can be finicky, esp. inexpensive ones. This one seems to twinkle brightly.

Last edited:
I have a Luna Tattoo Pineapple. I like it a lot. The looks are awesome. I wish they would have had the great wave when I bought the tattoo though because it is a sweet looking ukulele. My love of Japanese culture makes it even cooler (I was an Asian studies major and I go to Japan off and on). Anyway my tattoo is a bright nice little ukulele. It sounds much better than a lot of solid instruments on the market. I've heard it described as "superior laminate." I played a few different ones in the store and they all sounded good.

I hope your son enjoys it, I sure like mine :)

Thanks for your reply, Chris. I agree with everything you said. New believer on Luna, here. I played one in the store once, Guitar Center, I think, and was not inmpressed. That was either a dud, or my son's is a gem. One or the other. G'luck with your Asian studies.

Yeah mate, congratulations on finally seeing the light. Now, like me, you have spent untold thousands on different instruments to find out that in the end they all sound like ukuleles. I'm proud of us.

My first proper uke was a Luna solid spruce top concert from HMS. They set it up beautifully, and the neck is wonderful. What a great value the Luna lineup is, and Luna has a nice FB site as well.

Attachments

• jewel weed.jpg
    jewel weed.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 13
What changed your mind? My niece has one. I checked it out and thought it was nice for the price. Good little starter uke.
Honestly, the intonation is (and was) off above the fifth fret. And it's sort of a punky build.

Yeah mate, congratulations on finally seeing the light. Now, like me, you have spent untold thousands on different instruments to find out that in the end they all sound like ukuleles. I'm proud of us.
Ha ha, Jon, that's rich. So true, the sounding like ukuleles--and spending too much to find that out. As UU brother George showed us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf4BiossT8

My first proper uke was a Luna solid spruce top concert from HMS. They set it up beautifully, and the neck is wonderful. What a great value the Luna lineup is, and Luna has a nice FB site as well.
The set-up initially is key; you did good to include that in your purchase. Guitar Center didn't even offer it to me. lol

Very neat little uke. I think when buying ukes in the more affordable range, it is especially important to buy from a retailer that does real set up work like HMS, Mim's, Uke Republic.

This is the most amazing NUD thread I have ever read, going from:

I'm impressed for the price, this Luna is superb. Just mentioning it.

...to:

What a newbie dolt I was.

Lunas suck.

...without even getting to page two!! :)

Tony

P.. I have no personal opinion of Luna ukuleles either way, having never played one.

Luna brought a lot of their ukes to the last TBUG. They're in Tampa. I've only ever played one, I bought it for my daughter. She still plays it.

Top Bottom