chord help

bbqribs

Reaction score
I'm working on And This is My Beloved from Kismet. The chords are named, but not in tab, and some might not exist for ukulele (maybe for guitar?) Anyway, the two I can't seem to find are: C9b & Bb9b. Any help would be appreciated. I am working on the song vocally, and thought I'd try to accompany myself.

Hello, to me, it must be an incorrect notation. Most likely C9b5 and Bb9b5 or maybe C7b9 and Bb7b9.

Fantastic song!!!

Anton Borodin's music may be lovely and melodic, but the physician/part-time composer was no slouch. His music can be deceivingly complex. The notation may be correct.

For a C9b I would first try 5464. Not hard to play at all. This leaves out the 5th and eliminates the tritone, making the chord a little less harsh sounding. If this sounds right, you could try the same shape two frets down for the Bb9b, 3242.

But, if you need the 5th, it'll be very difficult with the four note instrument. You don't want to leave out the root or the 3rd and without the 7th it may sound wrong even if it's right (play 0004 and see).

If you're singing one note when playing one of these chords, figure out the note's placement in the chord and, using your voice, you might be able to reconfigure the chord to get all five notes. (If you're singing the flatted 9th, you could just play a 7th chord.) The context may require you to use different configurations for the two chords.

Please, let us know how it comes out. Maybe post it here or on the youtube. This is one of my favorite songs, of any genre!

Where do those chords appear in the song? What words of the lyrics do the chords 'cover'?

Thanks.

Have you been to WASSUP in Tacoma? They usually meet on Tuesday evenings.

If you're ever in Seattle, 2nd Sunday, please plan on visiting SUPA ( seattleukulele.org )

keep uke'in',

Stevepetergal: Thanks, I will examine this further over the weekend. I don't understand the music theory, but do get the basic directions. I am working with a new voice teacher, and she has brought a big, vast operatic voice out of me. Very exciting, a gift (and responsibility) in my middle age. But not yet ready to record. And will probably overwhelm my uke volumewise.
Uncle Rod: I am lovin' going to Monday Ukulele Ohana in Lakewood. I have the feeling our paths will cross someday, and will keep the Sundays in mind.
Thanks, all. Will give an update when I have time to explore.

Sounds like you got properly vocalized. Hurray for great voice teachers! Wouldn't that be great if combined with voice, 0004 worked?

Stevepetergal: Thanks, I will examine this further over the weekend. I don't understand the music theory, but do get the basic directions. I am working with a new voice teacher, and she has brought a big, vast operatic voice out of me. Very exciting, a gift (and responsibility) in my middle age. But not yet ready to record. And will probably overwhelm my uke volumewise.
Uncle Rod: I am lovin' going to Monday Ukulele Ohana in Lakewood. I have the feeling our paths will cross someday, and will keep the Sundays in mind.
Thanks, all. Will give an update when I have time to explore.

I may have spelled the chords up-side-down. The way I mean 5464 is barring the 4th fret with the index finger, middle finger on the G (top) string 5th fret, and ring finger on the E string at the sixth. If that's not the way you read it, my fault.

Also, sorry about all the theory stuff. I tend to get wordy. This chord has the notes you need to make it a 9b chord and identify it as a C chord.

That's exactly how I would have written it. Low to high, left to right.

Also, sorry about all the theory stuff. I tend to get wordy. This chord has the notes you need to make it a 9b chord and identify it as a C chord.

No apologies neccesary. I wish I had more theory in my background. I appreciate your input, and will be playing with this this weekend. Happy New Year all!

Top Bottom