Change of seasons - Does this cause change in ukulele sounds?

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I have many ukes and sometimes I take 4-6 outside to noodle around to.

I've noticed one uke seem to pick up and sound better now vs. in the summer. Its a Mango.

I had one uke I fell in love for in Thailand now seems heavy and tight and duller - not as ringing. Its a koa with lots of gloss.

Do any of you experience this too?

I think it's a combination of heat and humidity. I know my uke sounds different from taking out of the cold case and playing it in my heated room. I have to retune it as the temperture changes.

Remember sound travels differently as the air changes.
Temperature and humidity will affect the sound waves.
The instrument can also change with the weather.

Temp and humidity affects the wood but also some strings. Nylgut strings seem to be very sensitive to humidity. I took one uke with Aquilas to Louisiana for a few days and it sounded dull and just awful for about a week after that. I can only assume the strings absorbed moisture since it eventually returned to normal. Also, I've since taken the same uke down there strung with Fluorocarbons and had no problem.

aha. So, I wasn't hearing things. I'll have to summarize the strings a bit.

I seem to recall the wound strings I put on a Gstring soprano were really sensitive - I was getting some good funky sounds in the dry brisk air. That was the funnest instrument to play but that mango and the clear Worth's had a real nice acoustic sound too.

I've noticed that in the summer my uke plays a bunch of beach and Hawaii music, then comes fall and more of a Jazz sound, then winter and Christmas songs come out of it. .....:p

Last edited:
Top Bottom