fat body uke

fretsknot

Reaction score
I'm eyeing up a uke that has a 3 inch body...I take it that means it does not taper toward the neck. How is that for playing...kind of thick feeling...or do you not really notice? And I would guess the thicker body would offer more reasonance...does it?

I just measured a couple of my "normal" ukes, both tenors. The Mainland is 2-3/4" and the Cordoba closer to 2-1/2". I don't see that 3" would really feel much different playing.

Now, in theory, a larger chamber could offer more resonance and a bigger sound. But in reality, there are a lot of other factors to consider, such as the woods involved (both top and back/sides), thickness of the wood itself, solid vs. laminate, bracing, etc.

My Kala spruce top thinline tenor (a mere 1" where the neck joins and 1-1/2" at the bottom of the lower bout) is a very loud and bright instrument, much moreso than my mahogany Cordoba.

Very helpful reply, itsme.

If it makes any difference to the topic, the uke I'm thinking of is a solid koa concert made by Toni Maloon.

It is a trade off...while I do not feel comfortable and like the looks of a wider body uke, it does create a deeper and richer sound...for sure...
I have been thinking about a uke from Toni from another member...pondering on it...

My daughter's thick body Luna is louder than either of my tapered body ukes, but I don't like holding it as much...

Yeah, you are confirming my sense that a thicker body uke might not be the most comfy....hey, there's gotta be a reason for the common taper to the body of most ukes, eh? But, as you're saying, the trade off in the big sound may be worth it to some.

Top Bottom