Scales, arpeggios and all that boring stuff

Janita K

Reaction score
I noticed that in Aldrines visit to San Diego? was it that he nonchalantly threw in what I think was a pretty spectacular scale run...smooth as silk and at the speed of light.
So...
I am thinking that practicing scales must fast track your skill level but where to start?
First silly question....should you aim to not play open notes when practicing scales?
Any guidance on nailing the right technique in scales and arpeggios would be appreciated coz then....soon...or soonish, I'll be playing SO MUCH BETTER THAN I AM NOW.
Thats the goal...to know my way around the fretboard, playing my ukulele behind my back, blindfolded and in the dark.
Thanks in advance
Janita:D

At first I thought that scales were boring too (remembering band practice) then I picked up a book a few weeks ago that has all kinds of that stuff in it...

Pentatonic Scales
Thirds & Sixths
Fingering/Picking Exercises on Scales
Strumming Patterns
Arpeggios
Second Position Chords
Turnarounds
and a few songs using all that stuff.

At first it was hard (it still is) as I have only been playing a few months and my Instructor told me "this stuff is way beyond where you are right now".
I am finding that with struggling through this it makes other stuff seem easier playing!!! I start out slow figuring it out then try to speed up.

It's "Exploring The 'Ukulele" by Herb Ohta and Daniel Ho...great stuff, I guess it's what they cover in their workshops, check it out!!!

Last edited:
It's "Exploring The 'Ukulele" by Herb Ohta and Daniel Ho...great stuff, I guess it's what they cover in their workshops, check it out!!!

Schweet! It's on my Amazon "wish list" now. Thanks!

JJ

Yes, it's a great book! And they also have a beginner's one called "Discovering the 'Ukulele" which includes all the major scales, a lot of chords, tips on playing, and a few fingerstyle arrangements.

Looks like UAS goes beyond the instrument. I am now well invested in books and videos as well. No regrets. Like that quote says...." I never have had so much fun being bad at something.

See if this one helps you any.

Yes...it DID help me heaps. Printed it off and played and played till late last night, and became intimately acquainted with every millimetre of my fretboard (I have a soprano...I ran out of frets way too soon!). What a great exercise!
Thanks for the recommendation...now I will go in search of the "Exploring the Ukulele" book.

On another subject...

my UU Tshirt arrived in the mail yesterday, with stickers. I am now a member of the world wide "Brotherhood of the Uke", and will wear it with pride.
Incidentally, the man who must be considered the Grand Poo Bah of the Order of the Uke (Mr Jake S) played on one of Australias most popular music quiz shows (Spicks and Specks on the ABC) last night. The uke is getting shown more respect every day, eh?
Thanks again for all your help with my question.
Janita K

Schweet! It's on my Amazon "wish list" now. Thanks!

I just checked out a few sample pages over on Sheet Music Plus, and it looks like the book is all about low-G ukes (those "sixths" would really be "thirds"--and vise versa--on an high-G).

Is this true? Would a re-entrant fella such as myself get much from the book?

JJ

P.S. I rarely buy anything from Sheet Music Plus, because unlike Amazon, their prices are nearly always retail and they don't do free shipping. But it's a great place to find sample pages for music books. They often have them when Amazon doesn't.

My Instructor who recommended the book to me did't say anything about it being a Low g book other than it having Low g scales in it. (I have both tunings)
My other Instructor even took it to use in the Uke 3 class a couple of times.

What did you see that I may be missing?????? I'm new to all this Low g stuff...

Top Bottom