Musician's Friend Hard Case for Tenor on sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahu

Reaction score
You're going to be pleasantly surprised. These are good, solid cases, which are a bargain when they're full price and a steal when they're on sale.

For $20 more the Silver Creek Tenor case offers an arched top (arguably stronger), more secure clasp design and leather handle. Someone who owns both cases says the Silver Creek is heavier. Mine should arrive next week and I'll be able to compare since I already have this Musician's Friend case, which I agree is a very good case.

Thanks for this thread, I just bought one. Usually these are $60.

You're going to be pleasantly surprised.

I agree! I got one today and ordered another. $24.19 with free shipping. Nice quality case! Fits a standard soprano but not a longneck (14 frets to the body).

Last edited:
For $20 more the Silver Creek Tenor case offers an arched top (arguably stronger), more secure clasp design and leather handle. Someone who owns both cases says the Silver Creek is heavier. Mine should arrive next week and I'll be able to compare since I already have this Musician's Friend case, which I agree is a very good case.

Thanks for the heads up...I just ordered one and it should be here next week hopefully...

i have a couple of these cases and really like them -- the one issue is that the brace for the neck usually needs to be lowered manually (by 1/4-1/2 inch). An exacto knife and a screwdriver is all it takes. A quick five minute surgery and the case is perfect.

i have a couple of these cases and really like them -- the one issue is that the brace for the neck usually needs to be lowered manually (by 1/4-1/2 inch). An exacto knife and a screwdriver is all it takes. A quick five minute surgery and the case is perfect.
Here are your excellent instructions for the mod.
You could cushion as Drew suggests, but cutting down the neck support is very easy. There is one screw on either side of the outside of the case: right next to the handle, and exactly opposite on the other side -- these correspond to where the neck support sits inside the case. Unscrew these with a phillips head screwdriver, and make sure not to lose them. You may have to cut the plush liner a bit where the neck support meets the floor of the case, I don't remember, but then you should be able to just shimmy it out. There are a couple of staples on either side that will try to keep it in there for you, but gently pull the support away from them. The support itself has three layers - a core of styrofoam, sandwiched between some balsa wood, and then the fur liner. Peel back the fur liner, and use an exacto knife to cut as much from the foam/balsa support as you need (1/4-1/2 inch will probably do it,) and then slip it back into place. If the staples are still poking through the lining of the case, you'll have to gently ease the support in place. Then screw it back in, and you're done. If you left extra fur on the support, you shouldn't be able to even tell you performed the surgery.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Here are your excellent instructions for the mod.

Turns out the tenor case has two screws on either side, instead of just the one (which is all the soprano and concert cases have). Otherwise, the instructions remain the same. When I got the Musician's Friend case a couple of weeks ago, the neck brace height wasn't too bad -- I only cut down about 1/4". The soprano and concert needed more.

No longer available for the advertised price. For those who purchased one, a review would be great and would benefit other members who would be interested in this item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom