Bach, Uke Quote

tuscadero

Reaction score
My friend sent me this email today;

:) << no offense to your ukulele playing, I saw this quote and thought of you...

"Trying to be a first-rate reporter on the average American newspaper is like trying to play Bach's 'St. Matthew's Passion' on a ukulele."

So I sent her to the YouTube of Jake in the Michael Lawrence Bach project. Not that I'll ever be anywhere in that zip code, but it's important to evangelize!

oh and dont forget about that japanese guy on youtube that played 14 parts of a beethoven piece on 4 different types of ukulele; soprano, tenor, baritone, and banjo.

who's quote was that? just want to know so if i ever come across that person in person or media, i will expect that kind of prejudicial tongue flappage from his pie hole and use applicable evasive manoeuvers.

Why be upset with the person who said that quote? Trying to be a first-rate reporter on the average American newspaper probably is like trying to play Bach on a ukulele:

• It's not impossible, but it is difficult.
  • It's the sort of thing you'd have to do more for the love of it than for the money.
  • If you finally succeed at it, there's a relatively small group of people who will actually appreciate it.
  • ...but boy, will they appreciate it!

JJ

Why be upset with the person who said that quote? Trying to be a first-rate reporter on the average American newspaper probably is like trying to play Bach on a ukulele:

• It's the sort of thing you'd have to do more for the love of it than for the money.
  • If you finally succeed at it, there's a relatively small group of people who will actually appreciate it.

JJ

= Most rational post ever on UU.

JJ
well said. point taken. thanks for the different perspective. i didnt even look at it in that light.

hey are there tabs for the first video
on UU(or any where) that was really cool
love to learn

I love that prelude and have had it half-learned for a while now... I'm tempted to finally tab it out and post it. Keep an eye out, I'll put it up if I can find some spare time.

For the love of it is right. If a professional uke player is on about the same pay scale as a reporter... well, having spent a few decades working in the media, I ate out of a lot of cans and microwaves for the love of my profession.

Actually (not to get too far offtopic), I think there are a lot of very talented writers in North American media, but they are frequently hobbled by mediocre editors.

Top Bottom