Happy New Uke's Day!

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
Here's the OTHER "new" ukulele: Original Hard Shell Case....
IMG_0507.jpg

And look-y what's inside: A late '20s or early '30s Gibson Uke 3, their top of the line model.
IMG_0508.jpgIMG_0509.jpgIMG_0510.jpgIMG_0511.jpgIMG_0512.jpg

A few more pics:IMG_0513.jpgIMG_0514.jpgIMG_0515.jpgIMG_0516.jpgIMG_0517.jpg
As you can see, there are some chips on the bridge, but the slots still hold the strings just fine.

And lastly, the name stamped on the inside of the case (and also on the back of the instrument just under the neck heel), which, with what I presume is a military service number, might help to pin down the date a bit. Possibly. It could be a later addition. I have a PDF of a 1941 Gibson Catalog, and by then they'd dropped this model. So the Service Number won't be really helpful if it's a WWII number. Still, it would be kind of nice to know about the owner. I don't normally name my instruments, but it will be hard not to call this one "The Captain", or "Captain Brown", or even just "Carl".
Also, these string packets were in the storage compartment. Kind of interesting, but I've never heard of them.
IMG_0518.jpgIMG_0519.jpg

Very very nice Gibson you have there. No New Years uke for me I got all uked out for Christmas.

And one more, for mm stan: IMG_0520.jpg Next to the ca 1930 Martin Style 3M.
The Gibson is now strung with Worth CMs (because I had them). The one I played in September in Denver that sounded so great had Aquilas.

Last edited:
You're killing me, Chris. I mean...congratulations! TWO very nice ukes. I really dig the dark mahogany on the Gibson.

And one more, for mm stan: View attachment 31689 Next to the ca 1930 Martin Style 3M.
The Gibson is now strung with Worth CMs (because I had them). The one I played in September in Denver that sounded so great had Aquilas.

Aloha Chris,
E Komo Mai 2012...Hauoli Makahiki Hou..to you and your family...Hope all is well and you are having a wonderful time..Your friend, Stan talk to You soon...
Congratulations..on your two new awesome babies...I am soo jealous...wow wee.... send them to me for a while...he he you sure definetely have some type of higher grade UAS...he he
Mahalo for sharing..

Holy smokes, Chris. Those are just awesome and seriously? you got yourbadself a Gibson? Perfect! Wishing you a great 2012 and plenty of time to enjoy your ukes. -m

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! What a sweet little "Gem." congrats and Happy New Year

Wow Chris, what a awesome little uke you have there. Boy your collection is growing so much!! Happy strumming and new year to you!

Here's a little review/meet-and-greet, also featuring the newly "Worth Browned" Martin Style 3. Yes, I am pretty much a dork.

In order to fund getting these vintage gems, you probably need to get rid of at least one of those calabash pipes in the background. That's what my husband said, and it's in no way because he's finally waking up to that pipe style. ;)

What a spectacular find and keep us posted if you find anything about the owner.

In order to fund getting these vintage gems, you probably need to get rid of at least one of those calabash pipes in the background. That's what my husband said, and it's in no way because he's finally waking up to that pipe style. ;)

What a spectacular find and keep us posted if you find anything about the owner.

I have a lot of calabashes, including a bunch of silver-mounted Edwardian-era English ones. Some of those were recently featured in a book (admittedly an obscure book with limited market appeal!) by a guy I know from pipe shows: "History of the Calabash Pipe", by Gary Schrier. He asked me and a couple of other collectors if we'd like to have some of our pipes included in the new edition (the first edition sold out a couple of years ago... very small print run, though, so it's not that impressive!). So, not only are some of my pipes in there, but there's a picture of me and a paragraph I wrote. I expect to be signing autographs when I go to the Chicago show in May... with hushed whispers of awe and reverence everywhere I go.... "Isn't that?" "Wasn't he the guy in that book?". I'm famous, albeit in a very small circle. It IS a very nicely-done book. I happen to own the oldest calabash the author has seen, although it's not much to look at.

Chris, are you kidding me....what a beautiful Gibson! Well played sir, well played!

You have great taste in ukes!

Aloha Chris,
wow nice review on your two new treasured arrivals....Congratulations.... I watched the video several times ..I am not sure the difference if any on video or in person...but the gibson sounds
better on the video...I think it could be the clear worth strings... maybe the martin needs more pop...and you can try martin M600 or Aquila strings... as the gibson would benefit on it too...
I really want a Gibson now...holy smokes.. in the video the neck looks thicker to me..but I know you mentioned it is thinner...I just love thin fast necks...so for me it's more the gibson..did I say
that already...Have fun and enjoy....Happy 4U... Keep strumming them strings...MM Stan

I have a lot of calabashes, including a bunch of silver-mounted Edwardian-era English ones. Some of those were recently featured in a book (admittedly an obscure book with limited market appeal!) by a guy I know from pipe shows: "History of the Calabash Pipe", by Gary Schrier. He asked me and a couple of other collectors if we'd like to have some of our pipes included in the new edition (the first edition sold out a couple of years ago... very small print run, though, so it's not that impressive!). So, not only are some of my pipes in there, but there's a picture of me and a paragraph I wrote. I expect to be signing autographs when I go to the Chicago show in May... with hushed whispers of awe and reverence everywhere I go.... "Isn't that?" "Wasn't he the guy in that book?". I'm famous, albeit in a very small circle. It IS a very nicely-done book. I happen to own the oldest calabash the author has seen, although it's not much to look at.

LOL, if you hang out on any pipe forums, you might actually know my husband. I'll tell him about the celebrity pipes. ;)

Is it okay to be jealous? If not, too bad, I am. Congrats!

That is a SWEET vintage Gibson! Congratulations.

LOL, if you hang out on any pipe forums, you might actually know my husband. I'll tell him about the celebrity pipes. ;)

I have actually never looked at any of the pipe forums. I know a lot of people who are on them pretty regularly though. I know pipe people from all over. The late Bill Taylor, maker of Ashton pipes (my main collecting focus... I have 93 Ashtons, I think), was a dear friend of mine. I also know quite a few other pipe makers from the US, England and Denmark, although not so well as I knew Bill. It's a fun little hobby, and along with the ukulele thing, qualifies me as a raving eccentric!

Top Bottom