Ukulele Humidefiers in UK

ukuleledaveey

Reaction score
Hi all not sure if this has been asked before, but hey it is better to be safe than sorry, i did do a quick check before hand.
Right basically i would like some advice on if i should use humidefiers in my cases with my two solid wood ukes, not sure if i have to with living in the uk, the south east near london, the flat i live in suffers with bad condensation on the windows during winter, i keep my ukes in their cases, so any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated,as i dont want to purchase them if there is no need to but if i need to get some then i definately will, any way happy new year to all on here it has been awesome chatting with some of you wonderful people kindest regards from me and keep on plucking :)

I'm in London and have never used a humidifier with any of my ukes. I have them all on hooks on one of the walls in my living room and have never noticed any problems. I guess I always figured I wanted to have them all to hand and the relative humidity is always pretty consistent.

Other people might be a bit more cautious though..

So long as you are sensible with storage, there really isn't need for humidifies tin in the UK. Our climate never gets so dry as to need it.

The sensible things though - keep in case, don't leave in small box room next to a radiator with your heating on full tilt.

I store all my ukes either in living room or bedroom, away from heaters and direct sunlight. I've stored solid guitars this way too for over twenty years. Never had a problem.

thanks so much for all your input really appreciate it, i keep my ukes in the lounge in their cases and i never turn the heating on (cant afford to with the current price of electrickery) and have nice amount of condensqtion on my lounge windows so air is damp lol anyway thanks so much for your input cheers :)

davey - nice one.

Just for note though, too much humidity can also be a problem for instruments - again though, I seriously doubt we have too much humidity in the UK - more a note of warning for those with ukes in places like Kuala Lumpur!

i've bought one just in case simply because when i store them in the bedroom with the door shut and the heating on i find the atmosphere dry, also UPVC windows don't help, my red cedar tenor has developed a few little dents in the sound board and i was wondering if it was due to the effects of humidity, so for the sake of a fiver and just for my mainland i am putting one in the case

Top Bottom