Quick but permanent fix for a buzzing string.

OldePhart

Reaction score
So, when I got the Mainland cutaway tenor off eBay it was strung low G and the slot was just a little narrow and/or high on that string - all the others were perfect. The G wasn't bad, only off a few cents at the first fret, but since I bought nut files I haven't been able to tolerate any "slack" in that area on my instruments.

Well, to make a long story short I got just a little too enthusiastic with the file and introduced a tiny buzz. I slipped a single sheet of ordinary 20lb copier paper under the string and it was perfect. That's a common fix but temporary, of course.

I discovered I was out of super glue and didn't want to mix up epoxy to fill such a tiny bit. Then, i remembered the stuff I use on my nails. I said to myself, "self, that stuff is so hard that it blunts all your fingernail files in no time at all, surely it will support a string!"

So, I can happily confirm that "Nailaid Maximum Nail Hardener" works great for building up a nut slot if it is a little too low. In fact, it works better than super glue or epoxy - when I've used those I've always had to get the file out again and file the slot back down part way. This stuff is pretty easy to control to put on a very thin coat so I didn't have to file it down again afterwards.

One thing I'll mention from experience on my nails, though - you probably want to let the stuff dry a few hours before putting the string back in the slot. It will seem dry to the touch after a few minutes but if I start playing the uke within a couple of hours of putting this stuff on my nails it will scrape off. I've learned it's not "fully cured" until all of the odor is gone.

John

So, when I got the Mainland cutaway tenor off eBay it was strung low G and the slot was just a little narrow and/or high on that string - all the others were perfect. The G wasn't bad, only off a few cents at the first fret, but since I bought nut files I haven't been able to tolerate any "slack" in that area on my instruments.

Well, to make a long story short I got just a little too enthusiastic with the file and introduced a tiny buzz. I slipped a single sheet of ordinary 20lb copier paper under the string and it was perfect. That's a common fix but temporary, of course.

I discovered I was out of super glue and didn't want to mix up epoxy to fill such a tiny bit. Then, i remembered the stuff I use on my nails. I said to myself, "self, that stuff is so hard that it blunts all your fingernail files in no time at all, surely it will support a string!"

So, I can happily confirm that "Nailaid Maximum Nail Hardener" works great for building up a nut slot if it is a little too low. In fact, it works better than super glue or epoxy - when I've used those I've always had to get the file out again and file the slot back down part way. This stuff is pretty easy to control to put on a very thin coat so I didn't have to file it down again afterwards.

One thing I'll mention from experience on my nails, though - you probably want to let the stuff dry a few hours before putting the string back in the slot. It will seem dry to the touch after a few minutes but if I start playing the uke within a couple of hours of putting this stuff on my nails it will scrape off. I've learned it's not "fully cured" until all of the odor is gone.

John
Thanks for that OP..... Must admit - I'm as interested in the nail hardener as the buzz fix :)
Happy new year :D

Top Bottom