In for a cold spell: how to take care of my Ukes?

mendel

Reaction score
Our temps will be going from about 80 degrees down to the 30's and 40's overnight on Tuesday. Do I have to worry? How do I take care of my Ukes?

You don't have a heat source in your home down in Florida?

If not, i suppose you can leave it in your case, and maybe tuck it under the electric blanket set to low. :)

Just cant's imagine not having a heater though.

I always put my ukes in the hold of aircraft when I fly. The trans-Atlantic flights fly high and the temperature can drop by as much as 100 degrees. There has never been a problem.

Also, consider that a low temperature in Florida may seem warm to everyone else.

Don't worry about it. A little cold spell won't hurt your ukes. If you've been living here for awhile you'll remember the cold spell we had about 2 years back around the same time of year where it dropped below 30 on the beach here at night. The cold weather lasted for a few days but none of my instruments had an issue and I didn't have a heater when I lived in that place! If you're worried, the best thing you can do is just keep them in their cases. Sudden changes in temp aren't great for instruments, but gradual changes are not a big deal. Just keeping them indoors should be enough of an insulator. A bigger worry is prolonged exposure to too much or too little humidity. Here in Miami too much humidity is the issue I mainly deal with.

Thanks everybody! I am glad there is no cause for concern. I've been ill recently and I have not had the chance to
Play in 4 days. I can't wait to play again!!!

Living in a colder winter climate, I just got out the warm mist humidifier today. We have had a mild winter so far in Indiana but I noticed the humidity was struggling to stay at 40% with this recent cold snap. For those ukes with all solid woods, I like to keep the humidity above 45%.

Top Bottom