Picked out my first tune I will learn from Jake's Book

Olarte

Reaction score
My wife, Classical Guitar teacher and his girlfriend saw Jake Shimabukuro last Dec 18th... We had the table right by the stage, less than 4 feet away from him. Needless to say it was a very special night.

Well my wife got goose bumps when he played Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah! as it's one of her favorite songs.

Well I just listened to it again over at the npr broadcast http://www.npr.org/2011/12/20/144022388/jake-shimagukuro-gives-ukelele-a-chance-to-shine

You can pre-order the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Jake-Shimabukuro-Peace-Love-Ukulele/dp/1458413772/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325520411&sr=8-1

and I think it will be the perfect tune to learn from his upcoming book...it's probably the easiest piece in the whole book, and a great way to "woo" my wife! ;-)

Last edited:
I just pre bought the book. I'm going for Bohemian Rhapsody if that's possible for me to learn. It was watching Jake play that song on you tube 6 months ago that caused me to buy my first ukulele.

I pre-ordered too. I always liked Five Dollars Unleaded, but I expect it will be a challenge, especially with those muted plucking notes at the beginning. I will definitely try parts of Bohemian Rhapsody.

–Lori

I just pre bought the book. I'm going for Bohemian Rhapsody if that's possible for me to learn. It was watching Jake play that song on you tube 6 months ago that caused me to buy my first ukulele.

You bought your first uke 6 mos ago?!?!?!? You sir, are the poster child for UAS!!!! :bowdown:

You bought your first uke 6 mos ago?!?!?!? You sir, are the poster child for UAS!!!! :bowdown:
That is correct. Never played till 6 months ago. I have bought and sold almost as many ukes as I have. My only regret on one I sold was the Collings UT-3. I had to sell a 90 Gibson Dove and a 92 Gibson ES-335 to justify buying these nice ukes. I have UAS so bad and if I want anymore next on the auctioning block will be my 2000 Gibson Les Paul Standard. I think I'm done buying ukes for the time being so my Les Paul is safe for now.

That is correct. Never played till 6 months ago. I have bought and sold almost as many ukes as I have. My only regret on one I sold was the Collings UT-3. I had to sell a 90 Gibson Dove and a 92 Gibson ES-335 to justify buying these nice ukes. I have UAS so bad and if I want anymore next on the auctioning block will be my 2000 Gibson Les Paul Standard. I think I'm done buying ukes for the time being so my Les Paul is safe for now.

I don't feel so bad about buying my Kamaka HF-3 when I only knew about half a dozen chords and building my own uke within four months of picking up my first one.

Last edited:
I don't feel so bad about buying my Kamaka HF-3 when I only knew about half a dozen chords and building my own uke within four months of picking up my first one.
Do you like your HF-3 as much as I do? For me that one is for sure a keeper.

It's my favorite uke, not only because of the sound, but for the look, the history of Kamaka and the way I came to own it (short version is that Joe and Georgine at Larry's music in Kauai are awesome people; and my wife is awesom-er because she bought if for me when I wouldn't buy it for myself).

I tend to play the uke I built in a workshop with Rick Turner the most. It's just a really cool feeling to play something I had a hand in building. Eventually I'm going to commission a custom Compass Rose. I've already put a down payment on the figured cherry for the top and back. It's going to be my early 50th b-day present to myself so I've got over a year to figure out exactly what I like. I think if I hadn't taken the build class, my UAS would be rampant like yours :eek:)

What's your favorite out of your impressive collection and why?

I sold my Les Paul just before Christmas. I used the funds to buy the 2 KoAlohas that are scheduled to arrive this week.

I was thinking the same thing, but then, I'm nearly as guilty.

I was thinking the same thing, but then, I'm nearly as guilty.
I don't know how long you've been playing Chris but if it hasn't been long then from looking at your collection I would say yep looks like you got the rookie UAS also..lol.

I'm going to have trouble letting my Les Paul go but then again I never thought I would get rid of my Dove and ES-335 either.
I sold my Les Paul just before Christmas. I used the funds to buy the 2 KoAlohas that are scheduled to arrive this week.

My new favorite is the HF-3 due to the unbelievable sound that comes out of it and it's appearance too. It sounds really balanced. The lows and highs are just right. It feels really good to hold as I come from guitar and tend to hold and play the way I would a guitar tho holding it a little higher then a guitar but definitely not the traditional way they are meant to be played so I guess the size of the body fits me well due to the way I hold it. My favorite before that one came along the pineapple Sunday was my favorite. Now that Tom Guy walnut tenor came along I would have to put it at #2 on my list. I think that is so cool that your able to build your own ukes. I would love to be able to do that but it takes a certain kind of talent to do that and i dont have it. I admire luthiers that build ukes. Thats one reason i bought the Bluegrass uke i wanted one that had been hand built and i knew of Tom Guy and a friend of mine is his future father in law so i bought one from him and have not been disapointed at all as a matter of fact ive been very impressed by the way it feels, sounds and chords. The neck is to die for. Well thats what i think about them.QUOTE=gyosh;835086]It's my favorite uke, not only because of the sound, but for the look, the history of Kamaka and the way I came to own it (short version is that Joe and Georgine at Larry's music in Kauai are awesome people; and my wife is awesom-er because she bought if for me when I wouldn't buy it for myself).

I tend to play the uke I built in a workshop with Rick Turner the most. It's just a really cool feeling to play something I had a hand in building. Eventually I'm going to commission a custom Compass Rose. I've already put a down payment on the figured cherry for the top and back. It's going to be my early 50th b-day present to myself so I've got over a year to figure out exactly what I like. I think if I hadn't taken the build class, my UAS would be rampant like yours :eek:)

What's your favorite out of your impressive collection and why?[/QUOTE]

I think I'm going to try for Bohemian Rhapsody. I know it is WAY above my skill level, but you have to try things that are too hard to get better, so I'm totally looking forward to it! :)

That's exactly the one I'm going for.gotta learn that one it may take 6 months but I'm going to do it.
I think I'm going to try for Bohemian Rhapsody. I know it is WAY above my skill level, but you have to try things that are too hard to get better, so I'm totally looking forward to it! :)

That's exactly the one I'm going for.gotta learn that one it may take 6 months but I'm going to do it.

Of course, with how many ukes you have to play it on, I'm sure it'll be easy for you to find "the one" to make it feel like nothing to play on! :)

Top Bottom