4 strings on an 8 sring Banjo Uke

Clackvalve

Reaction score
Hi, I'm prety new to the world of Ukulele's and can just about make a row out of my £10 Ukulele, I have the first 3 chords (C, F and G) under my belt and the £10 Uke. has served it's purpose in showing me if I can play.

So now I am looking for something a little better quality, at a really rock bottom price. There is a banjo Uke. on ebay but it is an 8 string. Does anyone know if I can string it using the standard 4 strings?

Thanks for any help.

Clackvalve http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.png

I'm sure you can leave four strings off, but you might have to deal with some rattling tuners. Who knows? You might like the 8 string sound better!

Most likely that 8-string banjo "ukulele" is not a ukulele at all, but a banjo-mandolin. I'd skip it if I were you.

Be careful, often the fretboard width at the nut is closer to a mandolin (narrow) than a uke...wider. May be hard to play certain uke chords, espcially for a beginner.

Hi, Thanks for your replies, I don't think it's a Banjo-Mandolin, there is a Banjo-Mandolin for sale also on ebay, it looks a compleatly different instrument, having a much larger head and as was mentioned a thinner neck. That is what I am trying to avoid by buying an 8 string. I have very short fat fingers so I need a wide neck and as much space between the strings as I can get. I have no problem reaching the G-string on my £10 toy but finding it difficult to get my fingers between the strings, I know this is a problem that all beginners have to start but not all begineers have my comedy fingers ha ha.

Rattling tuners would be no trouble I could just remove them until I got more confident and as you say I may prefer the sound to four string.

Again thanks for your kind words and help I think the forum is a great asset to beginners...

Well - good luck but I'll be very surprised if it is a ukulele 8 string 'banjo ukes' crop up all the time on ebay and every one I seen have been a mandolin. Post the link here if you like and we can take a look. I'm not at all sure there is such a thing as and 8 string banjo uke - if there is it's a rare beast. First thing to check is to look at the strings - Mandolins have steel strings.

If you really want a bit of extra room you could try an Oscar Schmidt OU6W. I had a go on one and it was about the easiest instrument to play I've ever picked up.

I agree with Ambient Doughnut. Mando-banjos were made with both small and large heads, and I've never seen an 8-string banjo uke. It's probably a misidentified mando-banjo (aka banjo-mandolin, banjolin).

- FiL

Thanks again for all your comments, sounds like I was looking at a banjo-mandolin not a banjo-ukulele so thanks for your advice I will keep an eye open for the Oscar Schmidt OU6W Uke. Actually, I live only a few miles from Cambridge (UK) they have a fantastic music and instrument shop there I'll pop in there and see if they have a Oscar Schmidt OU6W in there stock, so thanks for your help guys I think you may have saved me some embarasment and money. I will have to be a bit more carefull when do buy one. It looks like the one on ebay has been removed I can't find it now.

Ian

No worries it's an easy mistake to make. Like I say there are usually a few 'Banjo Ukuleles' on ebay that are nothing of the sort. Hope you find something suitable, I'm not sure if the OU6W is available in the UK or not but they are great for the larger fingered player. Alternatively you may find a concert or tenor gives you all the extra room you need. Good luck, let us know what you find! :)

Hi again, what a mine field, you will be happy to know I still havent purchased a Uke. yet but I still keep up the practicing on the cheapo. I'll certainly keep an eye out for the Oscar Schmidt OU6W, sounds like a telescope to me ha ha. The 8 string idea has now been left behind thanks to you guys and I'll look out for something more suitable, as ever thank you all for your comments and help and to the team who run the forum. Loads of help here.

Ian

Top Bottom