Kamoa vs Flea?

hotnuts

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have spent the last two days watching every video posted on this website and they made me decide to sell my electric guitar in order to buy a soprano ukulele.

I don't really have experience with the instrument other than one failed attempt at building one as a DIY project (from pre-made pieces). That thing can't stay in tune and is unplayble! Bottom line: I would like to get myself a playable instrument that I will enjoy over the medium/long term.

I am considering buying the Kamoa from UU or a Flea from fleamarketmusic. The price difference between the two is not significant (+/-30 dollars due to shipping cost differences to Canada).

Aside from the fact that I like the Kamoa's sound and look (I don't like plastic), I have a few worries. Winter is coming and it's going to be real cold real soon. Should I worry about the fact that they made the wood super thin?

Also, since both instruments get glowing reviews, and because the only soundbites I found were from lo-fi youtube videos, it's hard to compare the sound quality from here. Has anyone ever had experience with both? How do they compare?

Thanks too all of you for reading this (sorry for the long post), and I would really appreciate any comments you might make on my potential choices.

Vincent

^ i want one of those so bad... tiki ftw

You can always get a humidifier with the Kamoa to be sure. The joy of a Flea/Fluke is that you keep it standing on its behind near your desk, on the kitchen counter, or just anywhere.
Fleas sound quite clear, I can imagine (and got that idea from the UU guys' vid) that those Kamoas may be a bit warmer. On the other hand, I think you wouldn't be put down by any of them. If you like the wooden look, why not go for it?

It's like with cameras: if you wait too long with buying, the next model pops up on the horizon and you have a new dilemma. Get a cool uke and start getting your strumming time in!

Also, since both instruments get glowing reviews, and because the only soundbites I found were from lo-fi youtube videos, it's hard to compare the sound quality from here. Has anyone ever had experience with both? How do they compare?

I've seen most of the vids and reviews too!!
I really like both the Kamoa and the Fluke. I've seen most of the videos and to be honest you wouldn't be disappointed if you chose either one. Both are pretty awesome!!:rock:

I live in Canada too and it definitely is getting colder. With my other instruments I try to climate control an area within my room. I also keep instruments in their cases when not in use. It sucks especially because of our cold climate but you really just have to set aside time before WINTER comes to really find a spot to put your instruments in.

if you like DIY stuff check out this video

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/02/11/uke-minutes-4-diy-ukulele-case-humidifier/

easy concept I've done it works okay!

I was really impressed by the Kamoas I played this summer, and ended up buying a soprano on impulse. They're on the warm, mellow side of the spectrum. Pretty conventional looking, but the sound is a lot better than you'd expect for a laminate in that price range. I dig the satin finish, too.
The Flea is louder, brighter, and on the "plinky" side. Completely different look, feel, and sound. The plastic is surprisingly high quality, and didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would.

As far as temperature goes, either way I'd recommend a humidifier. Fleas do have a solid wood top and neck, so they're not completely impervious to weather. Either instrument, properly humidified, will last you many years. It's all up to you to decide what sound/look you prefer, because they're both great ukes.

Hi everyone,

I have spent the last two days watching every video posted on this website and they made me decide to sell my electric guitar in order to buy a soprano ukulele.

I don't really have experience with the instrument other than one failed attempt at building one as a DIY project (from pre-made pieces). That thing can't stay in tune and is unplayble! Bottom line: I would like to get myself a playable instrument that I will enjoy over the medium/long term.

I am considering buying the Kamoa from UU or a Flea from fleamarketmusic. The price difference between the two is not significant (+/-30 dollars due to shipping cost differences to Canada).

Aside from the fact that I like the Kamoa's sound and look (I don't like plastic), I have a few worries. Winter is coming and it's going to be real cold real soon. Should I worry about the fact that they made the wood super thin?

Thanks too all of you for reading this (sorry for the long post), and I would really appreciate any comments you might make on my potential choices.

Vincent

Also there is a ukulele giveaway contest, put in your idea..
Its for a kamoa pineapple!!

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/09/03/uu-sept-2008-ukulele-give-away/

Well thanks to all of you for your great replies. I am reassured that both choices would be great.

Doing some websurfing, I found a great deal on a Tiki Flea (same as in the video above). Plus, the company throws in a beginner's dvd (Beloff Joy #1). That's probably going to be helpful.

So I took UkeNinja's advice (funny you should mention cameras cause I had the same problem with that exact piece of equipment about 3 months ago), and decided not to waste any more time shopping. I want to start playing!

Ordered the uke, and it should be here in about two weeks.

ukeninam: I will definitely try that. It looks like a great idea for my guitars. I'll just have to look for some pez dispensers, they are surprisingly hard to come by in my area these days (they used to be everywhere when when I was a kid...)

Thanks again for your posts!

Vincent

How did I miss that Pez video!!!! Got to go get a Hello Kitty one and make me a humidifer!!!!

I really like my Flea, alot more than I thought I would!!!!
I have tried several different strings Ko' Gold's, D'Addario's J65's and J53's and right now the Aquilla's. (These are the only brands my Uke shop carries)
My Flea is the long neck so I have been using concert strings.

Gold's sounded kind of dull.
I liked the J65's kinda bluesy sounding.
The J53's sounded Like the stock strings but alittle better.

Right now I am sold on the Aquilla's very full and rounded sound from them, funny cuz I cant stand them on my Kala KA-s at all.

I really like my Flea, alot more than I thought I would!!!!

Same here. I figured I'd like my flea when I ordered it, but it turns out I really, really like it. It's just plain playable.

I'm jealous you wound up getting the Tiki flea, hotnuts! Being a tikiphile, I had my eye on one of those (or the Tiki Mug Fluke), but all I could afford at the time was the regular old "ukelyptus" (green) Flea.

JJ

Tikiphile, hehe, I love the word!

Well yeah, I'm very happy I stumbled across that deal cause I wasn't in a position to pay full price for it either.

Happy to see you guys/gals like the flea so much. Makes me more excited by the minute.

Not many people have Kamoas because the only place you can get them is at Larry's Music on Kauai and only recently on UU. They are nice instruments though, we wouldn't carry them if we didn't think so. The other brand we tried to get because we really liked, Fluke/ Flea ukuleles. Go figure! haha.

Top Bottom