any idea on this 'hawaiian' uke? make or how old?

arpie

Reaction score
Hi guys

This uke has come up for sale & looks like it may be a genuinely older Hawaiian uke? What do you think? I haven't actually seen it let alone play it, but just from the pics, I am interested in it - even tho it is 500km away!
old uke 1.jpgold uke 2.jpg
Cheerio

Roberta

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-03 at 1.08.45 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-01-03 at 1.08.45 PM.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 129
  • Screen shot 2012-01-03 at 1.08.55 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-01-03 at 1.08.55 PM.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
That body shape and headstock shape is consistent with a Nuñes or Kumalae-style uke, but I would go with probably not. It is probably a copy of a Kumalae, but without a look at the headstock and tuners it is impossible to tell. It could be one of the new Anuenue 1879's, because the tuners look like the Peghed style tuner...but again, that's looking at a very small picture from relatively far away. I would ask the seller to post a close up picture of the headstock, the back of the headstock, the joint of the neck and body, and inside the soundhole. Without that info, I don't think anyone will know anything besides the fact that it looks like a copy of a Kumalae.

Let me add that if it happened to be a real Kumalae, then it would be worth a fortune assuming all parts are original. That looks to be in almost unreal condition for a vintage Kumalae...which is why I'm sticking by the Anuenue guess.

Thanks for that Ben - I've put up slightly larger pics now - same two tho.

I had seen this uke up for sale quite a few months ago & had rung the owner back then, leaving a message, but they never got back to me. It is now for sale again so can only assume it didn't sell - put up again in late December & I have just now left another message for them to ring me or contact me via email. Hopefully I will hear from them soon!

It has that 'unusual' shape of the older ukes, don't you think? I just checked out www.ukulele.org pics of old hawaiian ukes & found this one that seems very similar, even down to the 11 frets & the rope binding going all around the top of the body of the uke - no brand name tho
mainrope1.jpg

cheerio

Roberta

Last edited:
Probably a reproduction...There are only a few "hidden gems" out there with today's technology. If you saw it thru the internet, that means other people saw it as well. If it is a vintage, that means other people have already called to check it out. Good luck.

Hi Roberta,
I am somewhat familiar with early ukuleles. I am guessing it is mahogany. The tuners don't appear to be pegheads to me but rather they are wood peg tuners (possibly violin tuners, which is fine) I have them on a couple vintage ukuleles. If you buy this uke I wouldn't change them. They work fine, and IMHO they are super cool!

My guess on this uke (based on the small grainy pictures) is that it is a 20's mainland made uke. There were a lot made like this but that doesn't mean it isn't good quality or isn't a good player. If I had the chance to pick one up at a good price, I would do so. However, it doesn't look like an early Hawaiian ukulele to me.

I wonder if it is a Supertone. Will the seller tell you if it has a label inside? I would ask about that before I drove a long way to see it. Good luck, I am interested to hear what you find out about it when you see it.

That body shape and headstock shape is consistent with a Nuñes or Kumalae-style uke, but I would go with probably not. It is probably a copy of a Kumalae, but without a look at the headstock and tuners it is impossible to tell. It could be one of the new Anuenue 1879's, because the tuners look like the Peghed style tuner...but again, that's looking at a very small picture from relatively far away. I would ask the seller to post a close up picture of the headstock, the back of the headstock, the joint of the neck and body, and inside the soundhole. Without that info, I don't think anyone will know anything besides the fact that it looks like a copy of a Kumalae.
I just checked the Anuenue website because I thought the same thing. It's definitely NOT an Anuenue 1879 model, whatever else it might be. It looks like it could be old, but it's hard to tell from those pictures. I have an old "Mouna Loa" brand koa ukulele that's probably from the '20s which is somewhat similar. I think mine was a mainland-built, rather than Hawaiian-built uke.

the 11 frets is because the 12th is missing which many do. AQs for what it is I need beeter closeups of headstock and back to determine if it is Hawaiian and year. Also there looks to be a label inside when i blow it up ask for closeup of the soundhole and also the side bracing to see how the kerfs are...The uke looks unplayable from the resolution of the pics strings seem way to high to intonate correctly

You're absolutely right, it isn't an Anuenue. It could be a vintage reproduction of a Kumalae though, it looks reasonably well built...

Thanks for your suggestions, guys - I will attempt to get a pic of the label/sound hole from them and also the kerfing, MGM, if they make contact - the advert specifically says 'old hawaiian ukulele' and they reckon that it sounds better than it looks (the strings look new to my inexperienced eyes.)

For some reason, I don't feel confident of them making contact (specially after not hearing from them the first time!) So, I probably won't be holding my breath for them to reply. They could just be having their own idea of 'fun'. Their phone automatically goes to answerphone and as I have left my home phone & email address for contact - I guess I just have to wait & see if they make contact back.

I'd just really love to see it & check it out myself tho!!

Cheerio

Roberta

NO doubt it is a vintage ukulele or a vintage style copy...would be better with better pictures and a label ....with little info..and you
mentioning "Hawaiian Style" not sure if you got that from the label....makes it sound like a mainland built teens to 20's Ukulele.. I was
looking at the tuners and maybe they are not origingal...they look too good to be original, but who knows..even the uke too.. you can
never tell unless you have it in your hands..would be nice to check the internal structure too with the headstock...noticed the fretboard
ended at the body too or a 1/16" gap I think then the 12tth fret...

OK! I emailed him & asked him ....... You mention a label - does it have a name on it? Are there any cracks or damage to it? could I have some more photos, close up f the sound hole, the label inside and the back of the pegs please?...

He replied: ....label says hawaiian
some cracks
i dont have close up macro type photos or lense....

So at least he contacted me back, which is a good sign! Now I just need his address!

He isn't asking a lot - so I may get a buddy to drop in & check it out & buy it anyway - out of sheer curiosity as he isn't asking a huge amount for it!! I will then put up better pics & see what you guys reckon!

Fingers crossed he gets back to me again!

cheerio

Roberta

Yes - Chicago is no joke! Several of the ukes made as part of the initial teens craze say "Hawaiian" on the soundhole label, but they weren't.

Leonardo Nunez's son made ukes in Los Angeles with a Green lettered label that said "Hawaiian Ukulele" on the inside, and they clearly weren't. Still, a Nunez made in LA is a good find. I'm NO expert, but don't think this is one of those - looks like a mainland copy of a Hawaiian uke.

When your friend gets it in hand and can really check it, let us know, Roberta!!

J

Well, we can't call the seller loquacious, can we! I bet there is more than "Hawaiian" on that label and the good news is that there is a label so if you get it, or your friend has it in hand and can tell you what is on that label, you will know what it is.

Some people can't imagine why anyone would care what it says on an old label. For them it is an ukulele.....which means it is Hawaiian. When I bought several of my vintage ukuleles, the prior owners looked at me sideways when I told them their uke was not made in Hawaii but rather in Chicago (a Regal), Pennsylvania (a Martin), and New York (a Favilla)! The former owner of my Martin swore to me that it was bought in Hawaii so that makes it Hawaiian......I politely handed over my money and told her it was going to a good home!

Good for you that you keep following it up. If it is a good price, you might snag yourself a nice little vintage uke.

Seems to me that persistence is the key to many successes in life! Keep us updated.

Some people can't imagine why anyone would care what it says on an old label. For them it is an ukulele.....which means it is Hawaiian. When I bought several of my vintage ukuleles, the prior owners looked at me sideways when I told them their uke was not made in Hawaii but rather in Chicago (a Regal), Pennsylvania (a Martin), and New York (a Favilla)! The former owner of my Martin swore to me that it was bought in Hawaii so that makes it Hawaiian......I politely handed over my money and told her it was going to a good home!

:D I actually had a seller insist that their Moana Loa banjo uke was made in Hawaii. I tried explaining that they were made in Chicago, that the banjo uke wasn't really a Hawaiian instrument, but they would not be swayed. "Moana Loa is where they make Macadamia Nuts!" I got it for $57 dollars, what it was worth, but I would have agreed that it was MADE out of Macadamia nuts just to get out of there. :)

:D I actually had a seller insist that their Moana Loa banjo uke was made in Hawaii. I tried explaining that they were made in Chicago, that the banjo uke wasn't really a Hawaiian instrument, but they would not be swayed. "Moana Loa is where they make Macadamia Nuts!" I got it for $57 dollars, what it was worth, but I would have agreed that it was MADE out of Macadamia nuts just to get out of there. :)

Didn't you know that Macadamia nuts are made in a factory, alongside banjo ukulele's? The only dicey part is how to coat a uke in chocolate.....

Still sweating on a reply from the seller!! I may hear after this weekend - most people go back to work from their Xmas Holidays on Monday .......... very frustrating!! I want to have it NOW!!! Instant gratification is what it is all about, these days! Now I know WHY! :eek:

Patience is a virtue ...... that I don't possess!! :(

cheerio

Roberta

That is not a Kumalae uke, the pegs where added later and look like violin pegs. It does not look Hawaiian made, the shape is wrong. It looks like a American made uke, probably Chicago. I have had several ukes in the past with Hawaii on the label that where made in the states. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for this uke if it was playable.

..Well, we can't call the seller loquacious... I'd thought that myself!! Just wish he would check his emails!!! Maybe he is out enjoying our fine summer sunshine!!

...wouldn't pay more than $50 for this uke ..... he, he, that is what he is asking! It comes with a 'how to play' book & a set of strings, so figured it won't break the bank - plus I can have a go at fixing cracks on a 'non emotionally attached' uke, in case it ever happens to one of mine! :D I am just curious about it now! My buddy lives within 10 mins of it, so have him lined up to go & grab it when/if the bloke gets back to me! As I said - I am not holding my breath on this one, tho!

...I politely handed over my money and told her it was going to a good home!..... It pays to bite your tongue sometimes, eh? Difficult tho it is not to smack them around the head!! :eek:

cheerio

Roberta

Top Bottom