Mainland Concert Mahogany - Strings?

Paul December

Reaction score
I still have the original strings on my Mainland Concert Mahogany, and they are starting to show some wear (most likely affecting the sound too).
Rather than getting a new set of Aquilas, has anyone else found something else they even better?
I'd prefer responses from people that actually own/owned concert ukes made of mahogany ... if it's a Mainland, even better.

I still have the original strings on my Mainland Concert Mahogany, and they are starting to show some wear (most likely affecting the sound too).
Rather than getting a new set of Aquilas, has anyone else found something else they even better?
I'd prefer responses from people that actually own/owned concert ukes made of mahogany ... if it's a Mainland, even better.

Hi Paul, I own a mainland mahogany concert too :D
I have been trying (alternately) Aquilas (which is what it came with) and worth browns..... For the moment I am sticking with the worth browns as they just seem to be a little more musical to my ear ... and no, I can't explain it better than that :D
HTH

Edit"!.... I am using Martin flourocarbons , Not worth browns. I have used the worth browns but switched back to the martins because they sounds better to me..doh!

Last edited:
I own the Mainland Mahog Concert. I have tested most string brands on this uke, including Aquila, Worths (brown and clear) fremonts, koolaus but finally settled on Martin Flourocarbons. They just seem to make my uke chime more sweetly and the note clarity is superb

I own the Mainland Mahog Concert. I have tested most string brands on this uke, including Aquila, Worths (brown and clear) fremonts, koolaus but finally settled on Martin Flourocarbons. They just seem to make my uke chime more sweetly and the note clarity is superb

Ok,
....this is embarrassing :) I just checked, and I am actually using the same Martin flourocarbons..NOT the worth browns....sorry for the (my)!confusion.. I will alter my post above .

I have the same uke and also use Martin m600's they sounded better to me than the aquilas.

+1 on the Martin Flourocarbons. I put a set on my Mainland Mahogany Concert a few weeks ago and love the sound.

Sounds like a consensus. Florocarbons are really great. You don't get the punch the Aquilas give you, but you get a lot of color. Your Mainland is a very good ukulele and shouldn't need all that extra, added drive. I use Worth browns and clears and have used Martins, too. They're all very musical, as Tack says. Is there a difference between them? Yes. Martins are very clear, the Worths are very full sounding, browns a little darker. I'd start with Worth clears and see how I like them. If I decided I wanted more round tone try out the browns, or more "ping, try the Martins.

They are all great.

Take your time with the ones you try, though. Give them time. And, most important, ENJOY!!

Last edited:
I have an fabulous mahogany concert, set up by Hoosierhiver. My very favorite strings for it are Guadalupe Custom Strings Fibre-Cores. I like the rainbow-dyed ones because they look pretty, but I get plain white ones for my husband's mahogany tenor.

The GCS fibre-cores sound sublime, and are very long-wearing.

I have Worth medium clears on both my Concerts. One is a solid mahogany Lanikai (LSM-C) and the other is a KPK.
Tried a variety of different sets on the Lanikai and have settled on the Worths. The KPK came with the Worths and I like their sound a lot with the acacia.

Top Bottom