The WORST Formby technique video on the Interwebs!!!

Just watched it. I totally learned something I didn't know (that's the point right?) which was how those two techniques work together. Well done, and thank you.

I won't be ruining my beloved fingerpicking nails, though!

One thing I try to do when making a tutorial is make it as short as possible. I put it all together the start chipping away. Another way to do it is to break the techniques into smaller videos. Split Stroke, Triplet, then "Formby Style". Then in Formby Style you can start by saying the prerequisites for this technique is such and such.

But I didn't mind the length, personally, and enjoyed the tutorial. You are a badass player, too!

Thanks a lot! I'll try to keep that in mind. You're right. Shorter videos with prerequisites might help keep people's attention spans. Thanks for watching. I plan on doing more tutorials in the future so I appreciate the input!

just about sussing the triplet out and using it in some of my covers, but its through videos like yours that i am learning it, what you are doing johnnyfoodstamp is very worthwhile and helps other ukers achieve their goals, keep up the good work i really enjoyed the tutorial

That's a relief - I thought this might be pointing to one of my clips!

That looks really useful. I'll tune up the D and have a go later. It's all stuff I sort of know but your technique is way better then mine so I'm sure I can learn from it. :)

I think you could maybe do with the mike closer when you're speaking as I find it a little hard to hear but if I turn it up too much then the uke blows my head off!

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more examples of the stroke transitions possibly including the Fan next time? That's my way of saying I hope you continue with Tutorials, good presentation skills!

Very nice tutorial. Thank you for making this.

Thanks a lot ukers! I'm glad I could help. With all of your input I'm sure the next video will be much more helpful. And yes, that Goldtone is kickin' lately. The calfskin and fluorocarbon strings are the bee's knees! I played a UB-1 downtown the other day. While it was a lot of fun, I do think my uke sounds better. So next video I will work on volume issues and throw in the fan stroke and tapping notes. I'm thinking Hi Tiddly Hi Ti Island for the next one. It really is a challenge to find a Formby song that isn't over-chordy. That dude was hardcore. P.S. Thanks again for all your kind comments and suggestions!

Last edited:
I little off main topic, but since it was mentioned above, I am considering getting head changed to calfskin as well. Wonder what you tuned it to, either note or kg/cm? It does sound good.

Looking forward to your next tutorial.

I little off main topic, but since it was mentioned above, I am considering getting head changed to calfskin as well. Wonder what you tuned it to, either note or kg/cm? It does sound good.

Looking forward to your next tutorial.

I tuned the drum head to an A. I read that somewheres on the Internet and it seems to work for me. I have found that the bridge moves a lot more on the calfskin then it did on the drumhead and thats partially why I tune it up a step. The extra string tension not only holds that bugger of a bridge in place, it also makes the triplets "pop" more.

I tuned the drum head to an A. I read that somewheres on the Internet and it seems to work for me. I have found that the bridge moves a lot more on the calfskin then it did on the drumhead and thats partially why I tune it up a step. The extra string tension not only holds that bugger of a bridge in place, it also makes the triplets "pop" more.

Thank you!

If I might ask, how do you tune the head, besides with the tuning key. Does it make a pitch when you tap it? I have a gold tone open back and want to try the calfskin setup. Thanks

If I might ask, how do you tune the head, besides with the tuning key. Does it make a pitch when you tap it? I have a gold tone open back and want to try the calfskin setup. Thanks

I just tap it like a bongo and use the tuner on my phone. Tighten or loosen the screws in a star pattern to distribute the weight, kinda like putting the lug nuts on when changing a tire.

I use a new pencil and kind-of drop it (ERASER end) around the head equal distance from the ring. I use the red SNARK on Mic input. Works on the plastic but don't know about on calf or goat skin, YET.

Great tutorial! Downloaded a copy so I can play it over & over! :)

Thanks Johnny

Roberta

Top Bottom