Robbie O'Brien talks about tonewood

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Another great video that Robbie has put together and one that those starting out should have a look at. While Robbie's area of specialty is in guitars, the information in all his videos is applicable to ukuleles.

Wow, that was some tone tap! I like that. He outlined the most important things to look for when choosing tone wood.
What I didn't appreciate was the fact that it is really just a commercial to get people to buy LMI wood sets. Which may be a good idea if you have little wood knowledge and are an occasional buyer. It's good to see them talking about CITES wood and alternatives in light of their raid a few months back. But did I hear right though? Did he lump koa in the list of woods that are endangered? Maybe I misheard. In any event, it's not.

But did I hear right though? Did he lump koa in the list of woods that are endangered? Maybe I misheard. In any event, it's not.

Yep Chuck, you misheard. He used Koa to compare 'new' woods to, although it did infer that Koa was one of the endanger species he was talking about by association, but mainly as a known sound

Personally I'd sooner go down the lane and use timber from one of the three trees blown down by last night's winds. ;)

Yep Chuck, you misheard. He used Koa to compare 'new' woods to, although it did infer that Koa was one of the endanger species he was talking about by association, but mainly as a known sound

Personally I'd sooner go down the lane and use timber from one of the three trees blown down by last night's winds. ;)

Thanks for clarifying that. I really didn't want to go back and listen to the whole commercial again. I just thought his koa statement could've been misinterpreted. I certainly agree on your second point. I hate for people to think they couldn't be resourceful and instead have to by their wood from a luthier supply. But if you are doing so it's important to know the qualities of good tone wood.

Congrats on the windfall. How many years before the lumber is useable for an ukulele?

Did he lump koa in the list of woods that are endangered? Maybe I misheard. In any event, it's not.

Hey Chuck,
If you don't mind me asking, where are you buying your koa nowadays? I have been looking for a new source.

To be fair to Robbie, this is the first time I've seen much said about LMI other than in the intro (who do sponsor all his videos). If you are looking for more information on ways of doing all sorts of lutherie tasks then have a look through his video's. There's a heck of a lot of great info for those starting out, and some real gems even for the seasoned proffesional.

Congrats on the windfall. How many years before the lumber is useable for an ukulele?

Had a chance to have a better look at two of them today. One is a sycamore that the main trunk has split, but another is a reasonably straight cedar that is worth converting. I'll get it cut up and have a look at it at the end of the summer. I've a small drying chamber that some may find it's way into then. :)

Top Bottom