PDA

View Full Version : new (Old) Uke Day

ksiegel
01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Okay, so I've said many times that I don't need any more ukuleles, since I got the Sceptre.

And it is true - I don't need any more ukuleles....

But there was one in the Marketplace forum for so long (over a month!) that looked nice - hand made , a low-g soprano... And the price was right.

So yeah, I don't need any more ukuleles, but I got a nice used one anyway. Thanks Mitch.

The uke doesn't have a case (I've got to take care of that, soon) but came well packaged in a wooden box.
The folks at the mail drop didn't look like they shook it, but that's okay, since it wasn't going anywhere - this box really was made for the instrument.

I took the four screws out and lifted the lid to find.... newspaper!

In every nook and cranny. No wonder nothing moved!

When I'd finally gotten the paper off, I found this:

Waverly Street Soprano #38 - a Low-G teardrop shaped , hand-made soprano uke, at an obscenely low price. (Thanks again, Mitch!)

A couple of dings in the finish, and it does need to be humidified (especially after a long weekend in the USPS pipeline), but this tells me that the instrument has been played, not parked on a shelf somewhere and merely looked at.

I'm letting it warm up for now - I'm surprised at how tiny it is, and how full the sound is. I've never played a low-G uke before, and this soprano has tons of bottom to the sound! Mitch recently changed the strings from Aquila to Worth Clear (Again: Thanks, Mitch!!), and they are still stretching.

I need to find a hard case for it - it sort of fits in the Ohana case, but the body is about 3/4" more shallow than the Vita Uke, so lots of padding would be required. But I also think that anything I can fit one of the banjo ukes in will fit the Waverly Street.

I'll have some more photos tomorrow, I hope.

-Kurt

RyanMFT
01-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Mazel Tov Kurt! What a cool ukulele! Glad you got it. I have admired those for some time and I bet it sounds exceptionally good. Also, have you ever seen a ukulele so well packed for shipment? Enjoy!

I wonder if it would fit in a Stagg soprano case? My Stagg case fits my Favilla Teardrop (perfectly) and my Kamaka Pineapple (a tight fit). If you want me to measure the Stagg let me know, I would be happy to do so. They can be had for about $40 dollars or so on ebay. Here's my review if it helps....http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?52538-Stagg-Soprano-Tweed-Case-%28review%29

rem50
01-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I really like that. Sorry I didn't check the marketplace enough! Nice snag!

ksiegel
01-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Mazel Tov Kurt! What a cool ukulele! Glad you got it. I have admired those for some time and I bet it sounds exceptionally good. Also, have you ever seen a ukulele so well packed for shipment? Enjoy!

I wonder if it would fit in a Stagg soprano case? My Stagg case fits my Favilla Teardrop (perfectly) and my Kamaka Pineapple (a tight fit). If you want me to measure the Stagg let me know, I would be happy to do so. They can be had for about $40 dollars or so on ebay. Here's my review if it helps....http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?52538-Stagg-Soprano-Tweed-Case-%28review%29

Thanks, Ryan!

The Waverly Street Ukulele web site has the specs:

Pear style * 13 1/2" scale, 12 frets (soprano)
Fir top * Sycamore back * Sycamore sides & neck
Walnut fret board * Walnut bridge * PVC nut & saddle
Grover geared tuners *White position dots
Aquila Nylgut strings (wound low-G)
21 3/4" long * 7 1/2" wide * 2 1/4" thick
Weighs 15 1/2 ounces
Oiled fret board & bridge * Lacquer finish on body
Completed April 2008

It is tiny, and the worth Low-G strings have such light tension that I hardly have to press - and the intonation is perfect to my ears, even if the tuner says that it is a few cents off here and there....

Let me know about the Stagg Case. I've got a local dealer who sells them, and I can go in for a fitting if the measurements seems right.

So now I have 3 soprano ukes, 2 banjo ukes, 4 tenors, and 3 concerts. I'm pretty sure that anything I buy from this point forward will have to be pretty damned exceptional.

-Kurt

ksiegel
01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
I really like that. Sorry I didn't check the marketplace enough! Nice snag!

yeah - it was listed on November 14 - I made him an offer 5 weeks later. I can't believe it was listed that long!

But I'm happy it was. (g)

-Kurt

ukeykondo
01-03-2012, 11:05 AM
I like these posts where people post photos not only of their new ukes, but also of the box they got it in--really makes you feel like you're there while they open it. The anticipation!

allanr
01-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Congratulations! It's nice to see that the uke went to a good home

Drew Bear
01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Congrats! And thank you for removing temptation from my grasp. I know the soprano size is not for me, yet I kept looking at this one. :o

RyanMFT
01-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Just measured the Stagg case and I don't think your new uke will fit. About the longest it could hold would be 21 1/2, and that is pushing it. More like 21 1/4. I think the width wouldn't work either......so, I have been NO help whatsoever! :)

mkatz
01-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I am glad it went to somebody who really appreciates it. Dave at Waverly Street makes a really fine product for the money.

Mitch

Jnobianchi
01-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Cool, Kurt!! :)

Tack
01-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi Kurt...
Didn't see that one in the market place and I trawl through quite often. Never been a huge fan of non 'standard' shapes before, but I gotta admit that one really looks sweet! Probably a good thing I didn't see it. Would love to hear how it sounds once you have wrapped your self around the low g a couple of times :)