how can i get jake shimabukuro to sign my uke at a concert?

3nails4holes

Reaction score
please only those with honest experience or was with a buddy who did this...

i bought my wife and me some tickets to see jake shimabukuro for the first time. we are super stoked about this upcoming concert!

i would really like him to autograph my uke.

any suggestions/tips from people on how i can make this happen? is he super friendly with fans? does he prefer to do autographs before, after, never?

i could only afford balcony seats. do i have a chance you think or does he only shake hands/sign stuff for 5 minutes and then back on the bus (while i'm stuck on the stairs)?

mahalo in advance for the advice!

Hi. I saw Jake in Illinois two months ago. He signed after the show for anyone that waited to see him. He signed ukes and CDs. He was kind and wonderful to all. I think you will find him similarly gracious at your show. Tip: have him sign the uke first, then pose with him while you or your sig other holds the signed uke. It's more meaningful that way (and the uke will fetch considerably more on eBay with that photo).

He has a table of swag (tshirts and CDs) and he signs at that table. So, scout it out and ask those manning the table (his "people") before the show if that's where he will sign. His final song is, of course, Bohemian Rhapsody, so when you hear it, you might want to meander down to the table (you can still hear it in the lobby). That's my advice. There are many youngsters and young adults at his show, and they mob the table and crawl under your arms and legs, so wear some baggy cargo pants, and maybe even a buck knife on the belt or something, so you look imposing to the others. Spread your legs when you stand there, too. But, if you try leaving the balcony after the final strum of his uke, you'll be sunk.

I did not have him sign a uke as my years of idol worship for all things Sharpie marker have past. There's nothing wrong with it, though. You can have him sign your butt and then have it tattooed.

I just now go for photos, and especially if I can kiss the celebrity on the cheek just in the nick of time and make it look like we're all chummy. That's worth more than a signature, to be real about it. All your facebook friends will be like, "Jesus, look at that. 3holes is making out with Jake. They must be like this (twists fingers) or something." People will think you're a demi-God, and truly, isn't that what life is all about. Making others pray to you. It is.

Frankly, I didn't even stay for a photo. Not b/c I dislike Jake--on the contrary, I adore the guy. It's just that he's a mortal man like us all, and I have no doubt that he wants to get home to his wife and kid just as much as I do mine so I left him alone. If he was Papa Koaloha or something, sure, I would have hung around.

He's a swell guy. He plays for about 75-80 minutes, tells funny stories, and is engaging and has a smile as bright as a chrome fender. You'll like him.

Last edited:
I've mer Jake 3 times and he Always sticks around as long as people want to meet him. He is one of the most gracious, humble and grateful personality I've ever met.

Just bring your uke or CDs, DVDs and wait after the show.

He has signed numerous things even the ticket stubs and a poster. And when he signed my uke he took his time and was very careful to do a super job. If you go with someone make sure they take pictures when he does it. You can see some of my pics in one of the albums in my profile page.

Also, I had a spruce top signed which shows his signature real well, you can use a small piece of screen protector like for an iPad to put over the signature afterward so you can still use the uke without worrying about it rubbing of.

I'm as impressed by Jakes personality almost as much as his music!

The first time I met him, I accidentally walked into the green room which was down the hall from the restroom, and he was kind enough to chat with me for a bit before the show, which is not something most performers would do!

The people I admire the most are the ones that remain fully grounded and realize that at the end of the day there is more to being a performer than just talent. I've met others that frankly I would not see a 2nd time...

I look forward to seeing Jake many more times in the future.

Have fun and be sure to post about your experience.

For uke autographing, I brought a Fine Point Industrial Sharpie, ordered through Staples, which is supposed to be more permanent than a standard Sharpie. Jake is very good about hanging about until everybody gets a chance for a photo or autograph. The events I went to were small venues, so I am not sure how the larger venues work out. Be patient and polite, and I am sure you will get your uke signed. Just keep moving forward, and make sure he knows you would like an autograph. He is a very friendly and easy going guy.

–Lori

I met him before the concert in Habit's, a tavern across the street from the venue at the 20th Century in Oakley, Cincinnati. He is a most gracious and humble man. I and a friend of mine got pictures of all of us together at the tavern. After the concert, I approached him to have him sign my ukulele and he remembered my name from our prior meeting in the tavern hours before...!!! Simply amazing....!!! I asked him if he would like for me to sign his ukulele and well...Hee! Hee! Hee! I'm only kidding here...!!! I wish I had actually asked him that, he probably would have let me, he's that good of a person...!!! Long live Jake Shimabukuro...!!!

Last edited:
oh shoot! reading this has got me extremely excited now, because he's coming to Jacksonville on March 30, and I'll definitely be there. So I've never been to a concert before where I actually took a musical instrument as this is the first instrument I've ever really put any effort into.

So what is the etiquette for carrying around a uke at a concert like this? Prop it up in front of me in my seat?

Jake is an extremely nice guy and will sign your uke without complaint.

There's nothing wrong with it, though. You can have him sign your butt and then have it tattooed.

OOOh that's an idea.... but I turned sixty this week so that would be mean to make him look at my butt. Nice idea, though. But...no.

OOOh that's an idea.... but I turned sixty this week so that would be mean to make him look at my butt. Nice idea, though. But...no.

He's an extremely nice and accommodating guy, gwynedd. I'm sure he'd do it, just so long as it wasn't too close to the sound hole.

Last edited:
Too true re SOUND HOLE, I had cabbage and pinto beans yesterday. What did Jake ever do to deserve such a thing? Isn't an Ambient Donut one that has been lying around in a conference room, the one with pink icing no one wanted? Just askin'

I guess so - if it had reached room temperature. There's an explanation in the 'Usernames' thread' so I best not repeat myself here! :)

As others have said... Jake hangs around until the LAST fan comes by for photos, signatures, & general fan adulation! He is an extremely accomadating person & I'm sure his roadie tires of the endless lines of people! He signed my Sailor uke after playing it a bit, posed for the obligatory photo & exhibited his gracious nature throughout. I was even the LAST person in line as I had stood at the front of the line w/my UU shirt on to take lots of other pictures of others in line as well - gave me a chance to interact w/Jake a bit more as I offered to take pictures for some of the people in line.

As to bringing your uke??? Jake does a song called "Bring your Adze!" - so bring it! I was surprised that so few had theirs, but I proudly dragged mine along for the singning "ceremony"! I'd guess that the only etiquite involved would be to kindly refrain from trying to play ALONG during the concert!!

Jake in concert is an amazing experience. The difference seeing his live show is phenomenal. He is an amazing virtuoso that YouTube just can't do justice. His stage presence is both intense & inviting.

Saw in in Princeton last month and he definitely signed stuff for people, including Ukes. He is super personable and very humble and kind. My mother in law went to the show with me and she was kind of gushing. He posed for pictures with us and signed our programs. Next time I will bring a uke for him to sign.

I've met Jake 3 times and he Always sticks around as long as people want to meet him. He is one of the most gracious, humble and grateful personality I've ever met.

Same here and yes - he is one of the nicest, most humble, and gracious people around.

For years I felt that getting personal effects autographed (sound holes included) was an imposition on the artist. Just always made me feel weird about asking or embarrassed by taking an instrument to a concert. Then I met Jake in the Honolulu airport, literally behind me in line at security. Spoke with him briefly, shared the requisite pleasantries, big fan, yada yada yada. Told him I was going to one of his shows in MA and he said to make sure I stuck around after and say hello. As others stated, he sets up in a meet and greet after the show and couldn't be more gracious and accommodating to his fans. I still felt weird about taking a uke to a show, but finally did and got my Kamaka signed. Seemed fitting as he's a Kamaka player. Also ensures that one will never leave the collection. And a little mojo never hurts. I've said it before, I'm not just a fan of his music. I'm a fan of the person.

I was even the LAST person in line as I had stood at the front of the line w/my UU shirt on to take lots of other pictures of others in line as well - gave me a chance to interact w/Jake a bit more as I offered to take pictures for some of the people in line.
This is absolutely true! I was at that show and Gmoney proudly wore his UU garb and operated as the royal photographer. I think you nailed the method, Glen, because if I remember, by hanging out until the end, Jake got to jam a bit on your Sailor uke too.

Last edited:
The entire autograph phenomenon is rather interesting. Is it proof that we met someone, a validation to others? Is it some sense of [personal satisfaction that I got this celebrity to do something for me? It's rather an odd thing, really. Is an autograph of someone famous now something our kids will cherish a generation from now (other than selling them on eBay, that is)? Doubtful.

I'm not being judgmental about it; I don't have the answer. I was an autograph collector in high school. Joe Namath, Howard Cosell, Richard Nixon, etc. I have many. But now, they are lingering in my scrapbook, yellowing memories, I suppose. But more interesting is any interaction I have with the person. Any quotes they made that made an impact on me.

Bruins great Terry O'Reilly (Hall of Famer) once said to me as he was leaving the ice and I stood by, "Skate hard, little buddy." He looked right at me and said it. Now, granted, I was 40 years old when he said it, but still... No, I kid you, I was about six. I never forgot it. Never.

Now, I no longer seek or need autographs. I enjoy the moment.

Seek your autograph. But, you'll remember the moment. Don't foresake the moment for a pen.

Last edited:
This is an interesting point. For the most part, I don't seek autographs either, especially if I just spot a person--it seems pretty awkward and an imposition. However, when an autograph is part of an experience, I think that it can enhance a memory and serve as a memento. I got my kamaka replica cigar box uke signed by jake in NY recently and had the same experience as others--he couldn't have been nicer. He really makes each person feel special. Now everytime I pick up the uke and see his autograph, I think about Jake and his abundance of Aloha spirit.

The entire autograph phenomenon is rather interesting. Is it proof that we met someone, a validation to others? Is it some sense of [personal satisfaction that I got this celebrity to do something for me? It's rather an odd thing, really. Is an autograph of someone famous now something our kids will cherish a generation from now (other than selling them on eBay, that is)? Doubtful.

I'm not being judgmental about it; I don't have the answer. I was an autograph collector in high school. Joe Namath, Howard Cosell, Richard Nixon, etc. I have many. But now, they are lingering in my scrapbook, yellowing memories, I suppose. But more interesting is any interaction I have with the person. Any quotes they made that made an impact on me.

Bruins great Terry O'Reilly (Hall of Famer) once said to me as he was leaving the ice and I stood by, "Skate hard, little buddy." He looked right at me and said it. Now, granted, I was 40 years old when he said it, but still... No, I kid you, I was about six. I never forgot it. Never.

Now, I no longer seek or need autographs. I enjoy the moment.

Seek your autograph. But, you'll remember the moment. Don't foresake the moment for a pen.

For me it's only a personal memory of having met someone what I admire greatly.

I never ask for an autograph or meet someone just because they are a public figure, I only ask the ones that have inspired me with their craft and their personality. So my collection of autographs is quite personal and nothing more.

I have managed to meet, taken classes and even become friends with some of my true idols. I'm primarily a classical guitarist and in that world I have been fortunate enough to have met and learned a lot from some of the people that I admire the most.

Ivan

Top Bottom