PDA

View Full Version : KoAloha Tenor String Hole Issue

Joshypogi
01-03-2012, 05:10 PM
I have a Koaloha Tenor with a bow tie type bridge. The string hole of the G string seems to be getting bigger because of the string. I think the string is slicing the hole upwards...is this normal or something to worry about?

Kanaka916
01-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Since you're in Honolulu, why not call/take it KoAloha and let them assess the problem.

stevepetergal
01-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Yes, some degree of this is to be expected. Take it to Koaloha and ask if it needs to be fixed. If it does, they'll tell you and they'll fix it better than you can. If they say it's fine, it's fine.

ShakaSign
01-05-2012, 01:45 PM
The picture explains everything. You infected the KoAloha bridge with Aquilas!

Seriously, as everyone else has said, just bring it to the factory. Brian will assess the issue. Worse case, they just glue on a new bridge.

ShakaSign
01-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Since the damaged hole is the top string, did someone try to put a wound low-G string there? Some clip-on tuners have a problem with low-G and will sometimes trigger off a D harmonic from the string. This can make someone think it still needs tightening when the string is actually on pitch. The resulting high tension would cause the metal string to cut into the wood, snap or both.

Joshypogi
01-05-2012, 08:47 PM
This particular KoAloha is rather unique. The Top and back is not book matched, its all one piece solid koa. The fret board and bridge is not koa or ebony, i bought this brand new and the only owner. This is not a factory second either. I will make a trip down to the Koaloha factory and ask some questions. Is there customer service pretty good ?

Thank you all for the reply.

Drew Bear
01-05-2012, 09:53 PM
I think there's a pretty strong consensus that KoAloha has the best customer service of the "K" brands, perhaps of any brand period. They've been known to make repairs even though the 2nd or 3rd owner is in possession of the uke. They will take care of you. That said, it doesn't look like your bridge is going to fail any time soon. Repairs can take some time depending on their schedule, so you might want to pick a time when you won't mind not having this particular uke with you. Edit: I forgot to mention that up to several years ago, KoAloha was one of the last companies to start using book matched wood sets. There was a discussion about this not long ago, possibly in the Luthier's Lounge. Yours might have been among the last to have single piece top & back and among the first to have the bow tie bridge. I think there should be a date stamp on the neck block.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/karengarret/Koaloha%20Factory%20tour/IMG_0739.jpg

coolkayaker1
01-06-2012, 04:18 AM
The picture explains everything. You infected the KoAloha bridge with Aquilas!

Seriously, as everyone else has said, just bring it to the factory. Brian will assess the issue. Worse case, they just glue on a new bridge.

Just try not to let them put one of those absolutely hideous--and I mean "Pulp Fiction" atrocious-- 1970's style "koAloha" stamped bridges they use nowadays.

It'll ruin the looks of your traditional uke.

Joshypogi
01-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Just try not to let them put one of those absolutely hideous--and I mean "Pulp Fiction" atrocious-- 1970's style "koAloha" stamped bridges they use nowadays.

I saw that today. The Koaloha tenor has the new traditional type stamped with "KoAloha" bridge and the tuners are powder coated black. I just love the sound of koaloha.

Paul December
01-06-2012, 06:29 AM

+1 ... not a good look

Drew Bear
01-06-2012, 07:02 AM
http://ukulelereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/koaloha-kcm00-7.jpg
http://www.ribbee.com/_images/product/koaloha3xx.jpg

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/images/180N/KCM02_bridge.jpg
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/images/180N/KDVISW_bridge.jpg

Dan Uke
01-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Did Koaloha check it out?

3nails4holes
01-18-2012, 04:22 PM
i can vouch for koaloha's dedication to the instrument. i'm the second owner of a sceptre & they made warranty covered adjustments despite me not being the original purchaser.

they're rock solid.

Joshypogi
01-24-2012, 12:36 PM
No, I did not go to the Koaloha factory, but i did checked out other Koaloha tenors with the bowtie bridge currently for sale around Oahu and they all have the same issue.

I purchased another Koaloha tenor with the new style black tuners and bridge.

Did Koaloha check it out?

Dan Uke
01-25-2012, 07:52 PM
No, I did not go to the Koaloha factory, but i did checked out other Koaloha tenors with the bowtie bridge currently for sale around Oahu and they all have the same issue.

I purchased another Koaloha tenor with the new style black tuners and bridge.

What does the new bridge look like?

Ronnie Aloha
01-26-2012, 03:54 AM
Kind of looks like a Kamaka rectangular bridge with the koaloha engraving.

Drew Bear
01-26-2012, 06:39 AM
What does the new bridge look like?See the 2nd photo on post #11.