Classical - Right Hand Technique

Paul December

Reaction score
I've been playing more classical pieces lately, and before bad habbits become ingrained, I thought I'd study-up on proper right hand technique.
I couldn't find anything with ukulele, but did get some info on classical guitar. From what I understand, I should play (GCEA tuning):
G - Tumb
C - Index finger
E - Middle finger
A - Ring finger
:) Correct?
...What if I say for instance I have a 3 notes in a row on the E string? Do I use the Middle finger 3 times in a row, or do I then do I alternate with another finger?
:confused:

Generally your thumb will be used for playing the G string (bass if low G) and you will alternate what fingers you use on the other strings depending on what your are playing. If you are playing different sequential notes on the same string, you will alternate between different fingers. If you are looking for proper technique, check out Scott Tennant's book Pumping Nylon. I'm not sure if he still has the same section on how to shape your nails in there, but not many shape their nails like Scott does. Technique between uke and classical guitar is pretty much the same for finger picking stuff. When it comes to strumming it's more like flamenco.

Generally your thumb will be used for playing the G string (bass if low G) and you will alternate what fingers you use on the other strings depending on what your are playing. If you are playing different sequential notes on the same string, you will alternate between different fingers. If you are looking for proper technique, check out Scott Tennant's book Pumping Nylon. I'm not sure if he still has the same section on how to shape your nails in there, but not many shape their nails like Scott does. Technique between uke and classical guitar is pretty much the same for finger picking stuff. When it comes to strumming it's more like flamenco.
Thanks, that helps...
...so alternate fingers for a series of notes on the same string, but otherwise keep each finger to its respective string if not in a series?

Thanks, that helps...
...so alternate fingers for a series of notes on the same string, but otherwise keep each finger to its respective string if not in a series?

For the most part, but there will be times when it makes more sense to play certain strings with different fingers. Also when it comes to your thumb, you will often play sequential notes with just your thumb, especially when using it on your G or C string as a bass line.

I find the choice between thumb and fingers is often about tone. My thumbnail gives a very different tone from my other fingers. You can also use thumb and index finger as alternating fingers, rather than the more typical index and middle. Again, the effect is quite different.

El Pulgar is the thumb technique used in flamenco. There are a zillion Youtube videos explaining it. A zillion. I counted.

Thanks, that helps...

Yes, that is the general idea, but feel free to do variations on the theme. Sometimes I use the thumb on the C string when it is used as a strong bass note.

–Lori

Top Bottom