Laminate Humidity - How Low Can I Go?

Paul December

Reaction score
I have a finished basement that houses the furnace so humidity can drop to the high teens (summer it goes up to 40%). I would like to leave a laminate uke down there for impromptu strumming. I do *not* want to keep it in a case, because it would defeat the purpose of making it immediately assessable. I've read that a laminate can withstand low humidity better than solids, but can it go that low? The uke in question is a Kala novelty pineapple.

40% is probably as low as you would want to go for either a solid or laminate instrument. 45% is better. It's not just that low humidity can lead to cracking, it will also cause the instrument to shrink a bit. Since your neck and finger board are probably solid wood, they will be prone to the same issues that any other instrument wood. Some of the side affects of low humidity besides cracking can be frets that jut out from the edges, your intonation being off, bracing and bridges coming loose... If you are going to keep an instrument down there, just make sure you let it acclimate slowly to avoid cracking. Below 20% is pretty damn low.

from experience in shops and having many instruments. 25% is as low as you want to go for a long period of time. If you really don't care about it then by all means leave it there. I have found that my Oscar Schmidt can handle just about anything, but my others seem to get dull sounding at 35%. I keep everything at 40-45% in the winter, and below 50% in the summer (I live in the midwest, 200% humidity all summer). that is my take on this.

I was sitting around and I think I know the perfect, great sounding, don't give a F$%$ about humidity or tempature uke.
The martin OXK (Link to Review)
High presure laminate body with no wood, Laminate neck. the only thing that may have an issue would be the fretboard. But if you rub it down with some fret oil it should be good for a long time.
Just thought of it and thought I would share.

How about a plastic Amuse ukulele.
The other thing you could do would be something like a dolphin, that you can replace yearly or when it falls apart.

How about a plastic Amuse ukulele.
The other thing you could do would be something like a dolphin, that you can replace yearly or when it falls apart.
:agree: Yes maybe a plastic uke or an easily replaceable Makala Dolphin uke.

Also consider the Fluke or Flea with polycarbonate fingerboard, sides and back. They have a flat bottom that serves as a built in stand too!

–Lori

Top Bottom