General question. Using the re-entrant string often

aehalt

Reaction score
As I get better and my skill level increases, I find that I can pick up an arrangement pretty quickly these days. Often I can learn a song in 1-2 sittings. Here's my question phrased in an example:

I can play what sounds like the song... but that's because i'm hitting all of the right melody notes, which is most often the A string note. Following a tab from let's say Dominator, I'm not plucking the re-entrant G string as often as is tabbed, but it still sounds more or less the same song. At this stage I need to start hitting those strings to get my speed and coordination up but I can't necessarily HEAR the string being plucked all of the time. Its sounds like more like filling in the blanks, but I need fellow uke players to break it down for me, so in the future when i make my own arrangements I can use the G string appropriately.

but I can't necessarily HEAR the string being plucked all of the time... Its sounds like more like filling in the blanks

That's pretty much it, Adam. They're called ghost notes for just that reason; filling in the space between the main melody or strumming.

Actually ghost notes are “filler notes” – they add an extra element to your picking or finger-picking and fill up empty space without making you have to think too much. Many ukulele players use the open high G string for their ghost notes, but you can pretty much use whatever string you think sounds good. Check out the episode to find out more!

People like Troy Fernandez utilize it for more that just ghost notes though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom