PDA

View Full Version : Rick Turner of RENAISSANCE GUITARS?

bobmyers
01-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Has anyone made contact or know of the status of Rick Turner of RENAISSANCE GUITARS over the past two weeks?
Why I'm asking is I have an order (for a new Compass Rose tenor) with him since Nov 23 rd. I gave the traditional deposit and was told that the due date was Dec 28.
I have a work order that he mailed to me then. I have tried to contact him by phone and email over the last two weeks looking for an update on my order. I'm concerned that I leave message after message and have not heard from him or his Co.
Any information would be appreciated.
Bob Myers

jackwhale
01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
I would suggest posting this on the luthier board.

I was wondering why there have been no recent posts because I enjoy his comments and perspective. Last post was 12/17. I thought he might have taken time off for the holidays.

ShakaSign
01-05-2012, 02:35 AM
I would not be overly concerned. While Rick Turner is the founder and chief builder of the company, Renaissance Guitars is not a one-person shop. It could be that they didn't finish your ukulele prior to going on holiday break. I was at Koaloha a few days ago, and while Papa KoAloha was there working on his next projects, the factory seemed quiet and lightly staffed due to people taking off.

byjimini
01-05-2012, 03:08 AM
A month for a build? I ordered on 31st October, with a build time of 12 weeks.

As much as I know how much money is involved, I wouldn't worry too much. I can't say I've heard any stories of people not getting what they've paid for with Rick, so I'd just bide your time. Plus, with the holidays etc I wouldn't expect him to be back at work yet.

foxfair
01-05-2012, 03:27 AM
I got my update from Eliza 2 days ago, I guess that they are working through the backlog of emails, phone messages and all other administrative stuff(which I hate much....). Keep waiting patiently. cheers.

foxfair
01-05-2012, 03:31 AM
BTW there is a new CR tenor uke listed in Gryphon website: http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/37829/37829.php
Unfortunately Gryphon crews haven't posted any sound sample, but looks at the beautiful grain!

byjimini
01-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Bloody hell that would give me a headache looking at that grain - I already have a migraine as it is!

marymac
01-05-2012, 06:14 AM
BTW there is a new CR tenor uke listed in Gryphon website: http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/37829/37829.php
Unfortunately Gryphon crews haven't posted any sound sample, but looks at the beautiful grain!

I tried that one out a couple days ago and it's sounds fantastic. Best CR uke I've tried actually. Very nice gloss finish too.

RyanMFT
01-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Yeah, Rick is a stand up guy and he an his crew do a great job. They made a beautiful uke for a friend of mine and it took a bit of time, but let me tell you....what they delivered is really spectacular.

byjimini
01-05-2012, 07:16 AM
I know most, if not all luthiers don't like being hassled for constant updates and photos of progress, so after some email exchanges about what I wanted, I gave Rick my card details and haven't contacted him since (31st October). This uke is something I've wanted for 4 years now, and it's going to stay with me for a lifetime - you can't rush talent or skill, so I'm just letting him do what he does best. :)

KentSantaBarbara
01-05-2012, 07:24 AM
I also have a CR Concert on order. And I was on contact with Rick a week ago. He said he was very busy and that he would be back on UU when things calm down. As noted above Rick is a standup guy and you should not worry. He does have a small shop and it is difficult running a small busy when you have to wear so many different hats. Bills, payroll, orders, email questions, etc. Give the guy some time and space, he produces a high quality product. Don't rush him, let the artist focus on the art.

bobmyers
01-05-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm good with all your comments, but why should I be patient if he does not answer his mail and call after the due date he gave in the work order. I am willing to wait for a great piece, but I am nor willing to be a victim. Just let me know the current story and I will be at piece. But a luthier has a responsibility to keep his customers informed.
Bob

foxfair
01-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Did you try to ring them? They have phone numbers on their website, just so you know: http://www.renaissanceguitars.com/contact-us.php
I assume that you can call them during office hours.
===
BTW I haven't noticed that there are so many CR owners(or soon will be) here, we will need to create a new group and let everyone share his love of CR ukes.

KentSantaBarbara
01-05-2012, 01:17 PM
When i put in my order, the last week of October, I was told by Rick that it would take approximately 12 weeks for me to get my CR concert. I am as anxious as anyone to get it. But I can wait, if necessary. I don't want it rushed. I want Rick and his staff to take their time, and make it as beautiful sounding as possible. I plan on having this ukulele a long time, and I can wait a few extra weeks if necessary. Do I want it now, oh yea, but not at the expense of quality. It will come. And all of Rick's previous work that I have seen is amazing. I have complete confidence that his quality work will be as it always has, top notch. (Rick: take your time, work your magic.) Kent

gyosh
01-05-2012, 01:22 PM
When i put in my order, the last week of October, I was told by Rick that it would take approximately 12 weeks for me to get my CR concert. I am as anxious as anyone to get it. But I can wait, if necessary. I don't want it rushed. I want Rick and his staff to take their time, and make it as beautiful sounding as possible. I plan on having this ukulele a long time, and I can wait a few extra weeks if necessary. Do I want it now, oh yea, but not at the expense of quality. It will come. And all of Rick's previous work that I have seen is amazing. I have complete confidence that his quality work will be as it always has, top notch. (Rick: take your time, work your magic.) Kent

Are you getting one of the concerts with the "wide bottom"? (I can't for the life of me remember the name of that style right now.)

cornfedgroove
01-05-2012, 01:33 PM
I agree...most people are more than willing to be forgiving on due dates, but patience comes with communication. No communication = no patience. I have never heard a sour note about the man, so I'm chalking it up to an emergency or some rare occurrence.

localmana
01-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I ordered a uke from Rick, met with him in person, and paid for it all. The product was as advertised but the time line was a few months late. He had a medical emergency but got back to me after awhile. I understand your frustration. I had to decide how much I wanted it versus how to mobilize my frustration. I chose to exercise patience, got my uke finally and quite honestly, I now don't think about how long I waited because the wait was worth it...and it was a wait of a few months. That piece of work was worth it, including the extended wait.

23skidoo
01-06-2012, 02:50 AM
I understand your frustration. Back in April, I decided to order a cheap starter uke, my first. I ordered it from some guy called Music Guy Mike on eBay, based on a good recommendation from an online aquaintance. When the instrument didn't arrive and he wasn't responding to my attempts at communication, I vented by giving him a negative rating on eBay. Then I actually used Google and started looking around the web. Incidentally, that's how I discovered UU. I learned here on the Underground that MGM was very ill but still taking care of business. Long story short, my uke arrived shortly thereafter and I kind of felt like a heel, adding to his stress with my impatient negative review.

I know you're dealing with a much larger price tag than my $100 Kala, but it took the situation with MGM to remind me that the world shouldn't necessarily need to operate like Amazon or McDonalds or the Web, where everything is neat, quick, tidy and only a click away. We forget (or at least I did) the human element involved in commerce, the give and take that comes with doing business with real people. Especially in a hand crafted art form like instrument building, that human element can be substantial. Something to bear in mind as you are forced to exercise your patience.....

ukeykondo
01-06-2012, 02:54 AM
This is such a great, refreshingly honest and poignant post. Thank you

I understand your frustration. Back in April, I decided to order a cheap starter uke, my first. I ordered it from some guy called Music Guy Mike on eBay, based on a good recommendation from an online aquaintance. When the instrument didn't arrive and he wasn't responding to my attempts at communication, I vented by giving him a negative rating on eBay. Then I actually used Google and started looking around the web. Incidentally, that's how I discovered UU. I learned here on the Underground that MGM was very ill but still taking care of business. Long story short, my uke arrived shortly thereafter and I kind of felt like a heel, adding to his stress with my impatient negative review.

I know you're dealing with a much larger price tag than my $100 Kala, but it took the situation with MGM to remind me that the world shouldn't necessarily need to operate like Amazon or McDonalds or the Web, where everything is neat, quick, tidy and only a click away. We forget (or at least I did) the human element involved in commerce, the give and take that comes with doing business with real people. Especially in a hand crafted art form like instrument building, that human element can be substantial. Something to bear in mind as you are forced to exercise your patience.....

GinnyT11
01-06-2012, 03:48 AM
23skidoo, that was a great post.

Nearly all the trouble I've ever gotten in has been because I was impatient. My inner sense of time is faster than external time. I work on slowing down but it takes effort; it's not like altering the speed of your intermittent windshield wipers.

Paul December
01-06-2012, 06:49 AM
I agree...most people are more than willing to be forgiving on due dates, but patience comes with communication. No communication = no patience. I have never heard a sour note about the man, so I'm chalking it up to an emergency or some rare occurrence.
Once you accept money (a good amount in this case) communication is a part of good business.

mds725
01-06-2012, 08:07 AM

Beautifully said. I also had an ukulele order pending with MGM when he became ill, and I was similarly frustrated by not knowing what was going on. The big picture, though, is that a person's life is more important than the money spent on an ukulele that hasn't arrived. I know the cost of a Compass Rose is substantial, but try to remember that Rick isn't trying to rip you off, and based on his reputation, if he isn't communicating with you right now, there has to be a good reason. I long ago became thankful for problems you can fix by throwing money at them because there are too many probklems that can't be fixed. I hope the IP can find it in his heart to be patient and to try to remember that Rick is probably doing the best he can with whatever situation it is that's caused the delay in the delivery of your ukulele.

iDavid
01-06-2012, 11:58 AM
If one is so busy, perhaps they shouldn't be taken new orders. Companies need to focus on their current customers, not the ones in the future. That is just good service. I also think it is possible to give real due date, look at May-Moe or Kanilea for example. I also think communication is part of good business. Rick was ill and lack of communication is more than understandable. I got a uke from him during this time. Unfortunately it had a bad top wood and warped in a big way. Rick made me a replacement with flamed Mahogany and upgraded the binding as well. I got the uke this week and it is gorgeous and sounds great. It took almost a year from the date of the first order. He emails when he can and it can be frustrating for him and his customers. I think he is a really hands on kind of builder and it would serve him to have some else take his orders and respond to the emails.

foxfair
01-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I start worrying when I see this. Hope that Rick is just busy now and not having any health problem. From previous experience of email exchange with him, Rick is actually good on reply emails. He even asked if he could call me to talk about the order.

If one is so busy, perhaps they shouldn't be taken new orders. Companies need to focus on their current customers, not the ones in the future. That is just good service. I also think it is possible to give real due date, look at May-Moe or Kanilea for example. I also think communication is part of good business. Rick was ill and lack of communication is more than understandable. I got a uke from him during this time. Unfortunately it had a bad top wood and warped in a big way. Rick made me a replacement with flamed Mahogany and upgraded the binding as well. I got the uke this week and it is gorgeous and sounds great. It took almost a year from the date of the first order. He emails when he can and it can be frustrating for him and his customers. I think he is a really hands on kind of builder and it would serve him to have some else take his orders and respond to the emails.

iDavid
01-06-2012, 03:04 PM
I wonder the same thing. I got my replacement uke, but I was very specific in wanting silver tuners and a strap button on the neck. I got gold tuners and no strap button. I don't think this is something they (he) would normally have a problem with.

bobmyers
01-07-2012, 02:25 AM
Hi All, Apparently all is well, just very busy, I received a message today from Eliza James of Rick Turner Guitar administration stating my order would be ready in about two weeks.
I am relieved but if I get to talk with Rick after delivery I will encourage him to start a regular update on orders.
Thanks for all you comments.
Bob Myers

uke4life
01-07-2012, 11:53 AM
You won't regret your decision and if the CR is a bit later be thankful Rick is investing the time to make sure you get the best uke around rather than rushing it out to meet a date. I got mine understanding that a commission end date is subject to change. I told Rick that he is the artist and I'm the lucky recipient of a beautiful uke...Your patience and understanding will pay off!!

byjimini
01-07-2012, 11:57 AM
The longer Rick takes, the longer I have to save up for the fee that Her Majesty's Customs & Excise will slap on the uke when it arrives in this country. :D

Mandarb
01-11-2012, 03:10 AM
Has anyone made contact or know of the status of Rick Turner of RENAISSANCE GUITARS over the past two weeks?
Why I'm asking is I have an order (for a new Compass Rose tenor) with him since Nov 23 rd. I gave the traditional deposit and was told that the due date was Dec 28.
I have a work order that he mailed to me then. I have tried to contact him by phone and email over the last two weeks looking for an update on my order. I'm concerned that I leave message after message and have not heard from him or his Co.
Any information would be appreciated.
Bob Myers

Hi All, Apparently all is well, just very busy, I received a message today from Eliza James of Rick Turner Guitar administration stating my order would be ready in about two weeks.
I am relieved but if I get to talk with Rick after delivery I will encourage him to start a regular update on orders.
Thanks for all you comments.
Bob Myers

Wow - imagine that....just like everyone said - probably very busy especially with the holidays. Glad you got it resolved.

Kanaka916
01-16-2012, 05:48 AM
Since you and Rick have communicated regarding your build, I'm closing this thread.