Rick Turner of RENAISSANCE GUITARS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmyers

Reaction score
Has anyone made contact or know of the status of Rick Turner of RENAISSANCE GUITARS over the past two weeks?
Why I'm asking is I have an order (for a new Compass Rose tenor) with him since Nov 23 rd. I gave the traditional deposit and was told that the due date was Dec 28.
I have a work order that he mailed to me then. I have tried to contact him by phone and email over the last two weeks looking for an update on my order. I'm concerned that I leave message after message and have not heard from him or his Co.
Any information would be appreciated.
Bob Myers

I would suggest posting this on the luthier board.

I was wondering why there have been no recent posts because I enjoy his comments and perspective. Last post was 12/17. I thought he might have taken time off for the holidays.

I would not be overly concerned. While Rick Turner is the founder and chief builder of the company, Renaissance Guitars is not a one-person shop. It could be that they didn't finish your ukulele prior to going on holiday break. I was at Koaloha a few days ago, and while Papa KoAloha was there working on his next projects, the factory seemed quiet and lightly staffed due to people taking off.

A month for a build? I ordered on 31st October, with a build time of 12 weeks.

As much as I know how much money is involved, I wouldn't worry too much. I can't say I've heard any stories of people not getting what they've paid for with Rick, so I'd just bide your time. Plus, with the holidays etc I wouldn't expect him to be back at work yet.

I got my update from Eliza 2 days ago, I guess that they are working through the backlog of emails, phone messages and all other administrative stuff(which I hate much....). Keep waiting patiently. cheers.

Yeah, Rick is a stand up guy and he an his crew do a great job. They made a beautiful uke for a friend of mine and it took a bit of time, but let me tell you....what they delivered is really spectacular.

I know most, if not all luthiers don't like being hassled for constant updates and photos of progress, so after some email exchanges about what I wanted, I gave Rick my card details and haven't contacted him since (31st October). This uke is something I've wanted for 4 years now, and it's going to stay with me for a lifetime - you can't rush talent or skill, so I'm just letting him do what he does best. :)

I also have a CR Concert on order. And I was on contact with Rick a week ago. He said he was very busy and that he would be back on UU when things calm down. As noted above Rick is a standup guy and you should not worry. He does have a small shop and it is difficult running a small busy when you have to wear so many different hats. Bills, payroll, orders, email questions, etc. Give the guy some time and space, he produces a high quality product. Don't rush him, let the artist focus on the art.

I'm good with all your comments, but why should I be patient if he does not answer his mail and call after the due date he gave in the work order. I am willing to wait for a great piece, but I am nor willing to be a victim. Just let me know the current story and I will be at piece. But a luthier has a responsibility to keep his customers informed.
Bob

Did you try to ring them? They have phone numbers on their website, just so you know: http://www.renaissanceguitars.com/contact-us.php
I assume that you can call them during office hours.
===
BTW I haven't noticed that there are so many CR owners(or soon will be) here, we will need to create a new group and let everyone share his love of CR ukes.

When i put in my order, the last week of October, I was told by Rick that it would take approximately 12 weeks for me to get my CR concert. I am as anxious as anyone to get it. But I can wait, if necessary. I don't want it rushed. I want Rick and his staff to take their time, and make it as beautiful sounding as possible. I plan on having this ukulele a long time, and I can wait a few extra weeks if necessary. Do I want it now, oh yea, but not at the expense of quality. It will come. And all of Rick's previous work that I have seen is amazing. I have complete confidence that his quality work will be as it always has, top notch. (Rick: take your time, work your magic.) Kent

When i put in my order, the last week of October, I was told by Rick that it would take approximately 12 weeks for me to get my CR concert. I am as anxious as anyone to get it. But I can wait, if necessary. I don't want it rushed. I want Rick and his staff to take their time, and make it as beautiful sounding as possible. I plan on having this ukulele a long time, and I can wait a few extra weeks if necessary. Do I want it now, oh yea, but not at the expense of quality. It will come. And all of Rick's previous work that I have seen is amazing. I have complete confidence that his quality work will be as it always has, top notch. (Rick: take your time, work your magic.) Kent

Are you getting one of the concerts with the "wide bottom"? (I can't for the life of me remember the name of that style right now.)

I agree...most people are more than willing to be forgiving on due dates, but patience comes with communication. No communication = no patience. I have never heard a sour note about the man, so I'm chalking it up to an emergency or some rare occurrence.

I ordered a uke from Rick, met with him in person, and paid for it all. The product was as advertised but the time line was a few months late. He had a medical emergency but got back to me after awhile. I understand your frustration. I had to decide how much I wanted it versus how to mobilize my frustration. I chose to exercise patience, got my uke finally and quite honestly, I now don't think about how long I waited because the wait was worth it...and it was a wait of a few months. That piece of work was worth it, including the extended wait.

I understand your frustration. Back in April, I decided to order a cheap starter uke, my first. I ordered it from some guy called Music Guy Mike on eBay, based on a good recommendation from an online aquaintance. When the instrument didn't arrive and he wasn't responding to my attempts at communication, I vented by giving him a negative rating on eBay. Then I actually used Google and started looking around the web. Incidentally, that's how I discovered UU. I learned here on the Underground that MGM was very ill but still taking care of business. Long story short, my uke arrived shortly thereafter and I kind of felt like a heel, adding to his stress with my impatient negative review.

I know you're dealing with a much larger price tag than my $100 Kala, but it took the situation with MGM to remind me that the world shouldn't necessarily need to operate like Amazon or McDonalds or the Web, where everything is neat, quick, tidy and only a click away. We forget (or at least I did) the human element involved in commerce, the give and take that comes with doing business with real people. Especially in a hand crafted art form like instrument building, that human element can be substantial. Something to bear in mind as you are forced to exercise your patience.....

This is such a great, refreshingly honest and poignant post. Thank you

I understand your frustration. Back in April, I decided to order a cheap starter uke, my first. I ordered it from some guy called Music Guy Mike on eBay, based on a good recommendation from an online aquaintance. When the instrument didn't arrive and he wasn't responding to my attempts at communication, I vented by giving him a negative rating on eBay. Then I actually used Google and started looking around the web. Incidentally, that's how I discovered UU. I learned here on the Underground that MGM was very ill but still taking care of business. Long story short, my uke arrived shortly thereafter and I kind of felt like a heel, adding to his stress with my impatient negative review.

I know you're dealing with a much larger price tag than my $100 Kala, but it took the situation with MGM to remind me that the world shouldn't necessarily need to operate like Amazon or McDonalds or the Web, where everything is neat, quick, tidy and only a click away. We forget (or at least I did) the human element involved in commerce, the give and take that comes with doing business with real people. Especially in a hand crafted art form like instrument building, that human element can be substantial. Something to bear in mind as you are forced to exercise your patience.....

23skidoo, that was a great post.

Nearly all the trouble I've ever gotten in has been because I was impatient. My inner sense of time is faster than external time. I work on slowing down but it takes effort; it's not like altering the speed of your intermittent windshield wipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom