The mongoose tells me a true hand carved arch top ukulele is soon to be revealed ,

MGM

Reaction score
I hear rumblings of a truly hand carved arch top ukulele made by one of the big k Hawaiian uke companies is in the works. Other than those made by Collings...I have not heard any I really like so this will be a interesting instrument to hear...l.l

Hmm sounds like something Kanilea might do....am I right Mike...he he

That's what I was thinking too. I put my money on Kanile'a.

The Collings archtops are stunning... but for the price, I need to be able to either drive it or sleep in it. :)

That is good news Mike. I look forward to seeing it and hearing what you think. I've been building and selling arch top ukes for almost two years now and think they have a lot of potential.

Brad

That is good news Mike. I look forward to seeing it and hearing what you think. I've been building and selling arch top ukes for almost two years now and think they have a lot of potential.

Brad

:confused: Have you posted pics of your ukes? I'd love to see them.

Thanks Gmoney, not to hijack the thread, but for those not familiar with what an arch top uke looks like, here is one I shipped to Germany. Note the floating bridge with the tailpiece. Top and back are carved and graduated like a violin.

Brad

Attachments

• DA5 006.jpg
    DA5 006.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 97
  • DA5 008.jpg
    DA5 008.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 70
Oh oh, I shouldn't have looked at that jazz archtop! Can you do it in 6 string?

If you are talking about pairing two sets of strings, yes, I can do it. I would not recommend six discrete strings, the body cavity is too small to support the lower notes.

Brad

Thanks Gmoney, not to hijack the thread, but for those not familiar with what an arch top uke looks like, here is one I shipped to Germany. Note the floating bridge with the tailpiece. Top and back are carved and graduated like a violin.

Brad

Absolutely stunningly beautiful...Wowie...!!!

Brad

Beautiful work.

Don't know about archtops but the arched back of the Anuenue 1879 gives a wonderful rich sound.

Brad

WOW!!! The K Brand will have some competition!!

Brad

Nice finishing on that Brad. The black is stunning! What did you use?

Thanks Chuck, I used TransTint stain in alcohol and it was hand applied. Maple is a joy to stain by hand and spruce can be a nightmare. The secret to controlling the stain with spruce is to wipe on a coat of shellac, let it dry and sand it back to bare wood. The shellac gets in the pores of the spruce and keeps the stain from going everywhere and looking blotchy, especially in the recurve area. The finish is nitro lacquer over the stain.

Brad

Well it's just a stellar look! I've never done any hand staining before. With the sunbursts I've done I've always added a colorant to the lacquer and shot it on before building my base coats. Excellent work.

Top Bottom