Awesome collection on evilbay

gaspar

Reaction score
WOW! Just WOW!!!

nah, for $55,000 it's over $2000 per uke, I don't think so. no specs on what they are etc?

Hey maybe I can sell my collection of 8 for say $10,000 and buy it all over again for 1/2 the ammount.

Thats one of the nice things about Ukes, they are actually affordable even for the top of the line. Now if this was a Classical Guitar collection, maybe it could command such a price but $55,000 for 24 ukes??????

That has to be a "look at me, look at me!" listing if I've ever seen one before; no information as to what is for sale for a large sum of money.

For the record, it's not $2000 each - there's 73 ukes there, spread across 3 pictures.

Unless that is a washburn holy grail uke (Worth$25K) and an original washburn bell ($5K)
With out knowing anything about the exact ukes, just looking at the pictures, I would say $14,000 - $19,000 would be fair

This clearly needs more detail to invite interest, though I'm sure the big $$$ spender may already be aware of this collection & already contacting the seller directly. It appears that there are several early Martin's 3M or 3K, and that airplane shaped uke is itself quite rare. Reminded me of an article from a while ago about a similar collection:

http://www.marinij.com/lifestyles/ci_14805901

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/ukulele-collector-andy-roth-an-interview-with-collectors-weekly/

I asked the seller via eBay for a more detailed list - perhaps he will add more details. In the meantime, when my wife complains about my UAS, I'll have to show her that listing to show how well I resist temptation! (though, resistance is EASY w/that pricetag!)

If anything, I would offer $8000, with a complete list and sell it off piece by piece. Saying that;
1. I don't have $8K
2. I don't sell ukes

so there is that

Maybe there's no info because the spouse put up the listing..

I asked the seller:

Amazing collection there! But, for that kind of $$$, you are really going to HAVE to list what they all are. There appears to be several Regals, maybe at least one Martin 3M or 3k, some interesting Lyon & Healy, as well as more than one "Style 1" or Style 2" Martin/Gibson?? Looks like maybe one or more Johnny Marvin?? And the "legendary" airplane uke is surely worth mentioning beside the photo?

The seller replied:

dear GTFINCHER,thanks for the tips a few stores have shown interest and I'm lazy and bad typer but your help is surely appreciated your a nice person thanks again, Bruce

I wonder if it is a SCAM or due to a death in a family or ... ??

Last edited:
If it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

A purchase that big would require a visit to his home to check them out personally, followed by a wired transfer.

nah, for $55,000 it's over $2000 per uke, I don't think so. no specs on what they are etc?

Hey maybe I can sell my collection of 8 for say $10,000 and buy it all over again for 1/2 the ammount.

Thats one of the nice things about Ukes, they are actually affordable even for the top of the line. Now if this was a Classical Guitar collection, maybe it could command such a price but $55,000 for 24 ukes??????

24 in the first photo. There are 2 more pics in which I counted a total of 64 ukes. That makes $860 each.

Meh. If I'd bought my very first uke more than a week ago... oh, and had a spare $55,000 in my pocket, It might be worth the risk.

I mean, c'mon, he's got a leopard print uke in the first pic and a cow-print in the third pic. Those alone must be worth a good $15k between the two of them, right?

This reminds me of a story of a guy that left for vegas with another woman and told his wife to sell his Corvette and send him the money, she did, she put it up for $1!
:smileybounce:

Maybe there's no info because the spouse put up the listing..

Heh. If I spend $55k on ukes over the course of my lifetime just shoot me and bury me in the back yard, okay! :)

Just for fun, I thought I'd take a stab at identifying some of the ukes. Here's my take on the first photo (no time now for the others ... gotta work!). Anyone else wanna play?

First photo, top row, from left:

1. Unidentified
2. Martin 3K or replica
3. Martin 3M or replica
4. Unidentified
5. Harmony Jungle Uke
6. Vintage Hawaiian miniature uke
7. Harmony Aero-Uke
8. Miniature uke (possibly Tangi)
9. Lyon and Healy Shrine Uke
10. King David Ukulele (possibly Tangi replica)
11. Regal mandolin-shaped uke
12. Gibson tenor

Bottom row, from left:
1. Unidentified
2. Unidentified
3. Unidentified
4. Unidentified
5. Possibly early Kamaka figure-8
6. Lyon and Healy Bell
7. Martin 3K or replica
8. Unidentified (Gibson?)
9. Harmony Vita Uke
10. Lyon and Healy Venetian
11. Newer Kamaka soprano
12. The Gibson style 3 soprano

Last edited:
I asked the seller:

The seller replied:

dear GTFINCHER,thanks for the tips a few stores have shown interest and I'm lazy and bad typer but your help is surely appreciated your a nice person thanks again, Bruce

I wonder if it is a SCAM or due to a death in a family or ... ??

ya know, if I was asking 55 THOUSAND dollars for something, I wouldn't be so lazy in the description of my posting ie NOTHING.,.. he sounds like a twit.

Second pic #s 2-5 appear to be Le Domino ukes, and that looks like a Macaferri Islander top right (also one in third pic bottom row center to the left of a Carnival uke), bottom row left is a vintage Ka-Lai pineapple, that green one I believe is a Harmony and there are two resonator ukes. Third pic has a round blue Favilla camp uke top row left and a Harmony bari bottom row second from the right.

My first thought was "Wow", my second thought was "I would have taken more and better photos and put in a description", and my third thought was "Wow, none are cased and they are all hanging on a wall in a residence in Arizona, land of lots of forced air heat in winter and air conditioning in the summer. Hope the room is properly humidified or there will be cracks soon."

I think that realistically no sale is actually intended via eBay, as eBay would take a big chunk, so I'd guess if there was an actual sale it would be taking place off eBay. I also expect that none of these are favored daily players.

Last edited:
This is the first time I see a concert size "le domino" uke.
I really want more detailed pics of this collection.

Top Bottom