Mya Moe Classic Tenor with Brazilian Rosewood

Stevelele

Reaction score
This is my 96th post, so I am planning to make my 100th post a review of my Mya Moe which is just now in process. http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=599&submit=Track

So this all started with an impulse buy of brazilian rosewood that I found online. I posted about this a while back and had a number of luthiers chime in about regulatory issues, of which I am now much more familiar. However, I don't plan to sell this instrument, and I'm told that the tree was chopped down over 60 years ago (not that that helps without paperwork). In any case, it's a very pretty wood and will be matched with curly port orford cedar, per Char Mayer's recommendation.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?50963-Brazilian-Rosewood-did-I-screw-up

So far, Char and Gordon have been incredibly nice, answering all of my questions patiently. I have played one Mya Moe in person and found the instrument to be incredibly well crafted and quite different from others I've played, in a good way. I've never played a brazilian rosewood uke, but am hopeful that its reputation is well deserved.....

Congratulations on your Mya-Moe (and on finding that beautiful set of wood). I just noticed that the first photo is up.

599-1.jpg

I'm eager to see and hear the finish instrument!

That is going to be a stunning instrument. Congrats. Can't wait to see it finished.

I can't wait to see the final product...I want a Mya Moe really bad...

Man, that is going to be stunning. Love to see these being built!

I will use my 97th post just to say a word about how much I appreciate Gordon and Char, just from the standpoint of running a good business. Of course I expect my uke to be incredible, but putting that aside, I'll just give you an example of why they stand out.... So today, I was going through the forum and came across some posts about how good Southcoast strings are. I've never used them--have strung my ukes with Aquillas, D'addarios, Worths, Martins, but never Southcoast. So I emailed Gordon to ask him if he could string my uke with Southcoast strings. Rather than just giving me a curt answer and telling me either yes or no, Gordon actually went to the Southcoast site, read about their strings in detail, and explained why he thought the strings might be good but might not be appropriate for my uke, based on what he learned about their strings. He still offered to string them as I desired, but also explained to me the specific research that they had conducted to determine the optimal strings for their ukes. Now I have no doubt that they are extremely busy. If you take a look at their stringing calendar, you know that they are. But for him not only to respond right away, but go into such great detail and take the time to learn about Southcoast is just a small example that demonstrates how much they care about their product and their customers. This is one of many examples of how great they've been in this whole process. I know there are already tons of posts about how much of a pleasure they are to deal with, but I just felt compelled to add another positive review, even before I play my first chord on my new uke.

What strings did he suggest?

From the Mya-Moe website:

"String Types

There are several different types of ukulele strings available, and they all differ in terms of acoustics, feel and durability. There is no "best" string. Like the other acoustic elements of the instrument, it is the player's opinion that matters. We have exhaustively tested three types of strings, and would characterize them as follows:

Fluorocarbon (Worth, Japan): These are smooth and relatively small diameter with excellent durability. The tone is clear and well balanced. The other string types require a wound string for low-G, while the fluorocarbon is available in a low-G available for excellent balance. Furthermore, the strength of fluorocarbon allows for a higher tension #1 string giving excellent note attack.

Clear Nylon (D'Addario, USA): These strings are smooth and have excellent durability. The tone is very warm. Low-G is available with a wound string.

Nylgut (Aquila, Italy): These white strings are medium diameter with a slightly gritty feel and are somewhat less cut resistant than the other strings. The tone is brighter than the other string types. Low-G is available with a wound string.

Standard Strings

At no additional charge, we will string instruments with the customer's choice. Our instruments have the following strings as standard:

Tradition: Fluorocarbon, high-G (Worth CT for Tenor; Worth CM for others)
Classic (all except Baritone): Fluorocarbon, high-G (Worth CT for Tenor; Worth CM for others)
Baritone: Fluorocarbon/Wound (custom)
Resonator: Fluorocarbon, high-G (Worth CT for Tenor; Worth CM for Concert)
6-String: Fluorocarbon/Wound, high-G (custom)
Lap Steel: Steel, low-G (custom)
D6 tuned instruments: Fluorocarbon, wound low-A (custom)

For low-G instruments, our standard is a wound string (D'Addario NYL030w for Tenor; D'Addario NYL026w for others).

Note that the different types of strings are different diameters. Changing strings may require that your nut slot(s) be opened up. This is most often the case when going to the fluorocarbon low-G (.0433" vs. .030" for the wound low-G)."

Last edited:
That is going to be one gorgeous uke.

I will use my 97th post just to say a word about how much I appreciate Gordon and Char, just from the standpoint of running a good business. Of course I expect my uke to be incredible, but putting that aside, I'll just give you an example of why they stand out.... So today, I was going through the forum and came across some posts about how good Southcoast strings are. I've never used them--have strung my ukes with Aquillas, D'addarios, Worths, Martins, but never Southcoast. So I emailed Gordon to ask him if he could string my uke with Southcoast strings. Rather than just giving me a curt answer and telling me either yes or no, Gordon actually went to the Southcoast site, read about their strings in detail, and explained why he thought the strings might be good but might not be appropriate for my uke, based on what he learned about their strings. He still offered to string them as I desired, but also explained to me the specific research that they had conducted to determine the optimal strings for their ukes. Now I have no doubt that they are extremely busy. If you take a look at their stringing calendar, you know that they are. But for him not only to respond right away, but go into such great detail and take the time to learn about Southcoast is just a small example that demonstrates how much they care about their product and their customers. This is one of many examples of how great they've been in this whole process. I know there are already tons of posts about how much of a pleasure they are to deal with, but I just felt compelled to add another positive review, even before I play my first chord on my new uke.

Did Gordon say why the Southcoast strings wouldn't be right for this ukulele? I have not bought any Southcoast strings, but I am trying to gather information.

Thanks!

Mousie

myamoe.jpgmyamoe2.jpgPost #99: First of all, Gordon did not say Southcoast strings would be wrong for a mya moe, but more that he had done a lot of testing and believed that the strings that he chose for the mya moe were the best. however, he acknowledges that sound is very subjective and encouraged that I do my own testing. He had a lot to say about why he thinks that compound strings might not be the best for mya moes, but he certainly didn't say you shouldn't use them.

Anyhow, since this is my 99th post, that can only mean that the mya moe is done! http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=599&submit=Track I have to say, from the photographs, it looks really incredible. Now I will admit that in the past, the aesthetic of Mya Moes have never been the biggest selling point for me. Although I have no doubt that each is extremely well crafted, there are other ukes that I have gravitated towards more just from the perspective of appearance alone. I ordered a Mya Moe mainly because I have heard such great things about how the instruments sound and play, which is ultimately what I care about most. Notwithstanding what I've just said about its appearance, the uke they made for me, based on these pictures, just looks spectacular! The combination of the Brazilian rosewood (which I supplied) and the curly port orford cedar is amazing (that was char's recommendation), and the custom headstock in black is sleek and cool. Once I get the instrument, I will do a review (hopefully a video review), so all of you can enjoy the instrument as I as I'm sure that I will. See you at post #100 (I will put it in the reviews forum).

Last edited:

I have tremendous respect for both Char and Gordon. Gordon has studied strings and their characteristics at great length. He knows what sounds best on his ukes.
I would always go with his recommendation. Char has an uncanny ability for the artistic look of a ukulele. Gordon's engineering and Char's artistic sense makes Mya-Moe ukuleles something special.

My new one is #615, in progress now.

What an amazing-looking uke! LOVE the rosewood!

I know you ordered it for what it would sound like, but my eye wants to play uke too, and I'd be looking at that all day long. I wish you years of ukey joy with it!

Top Bottom