Where to Autograph a Uke

rossjr

Reaction score
Just finished reading the thread about getting Jake to autograph your Uke, but I was wondering:

Is any place better than another to autograph to help preserve it and is a sharpie the best product to use?

Finally, should I bring my own sharpie or does Jake bring his own...

Sharpie - I brought my own - Jake was well-equipped (actually, his roadie had a stash it seems).

I had him sign in the lower bout above the soundhole as attached photo shows:

WP_000187.jpg

I reasoned that it looks best there, but I may cover it over w/a satin spray finish to further protect it. I've seen others in the lower bout below the soundhole or even on the upper bout side of the soundhole.

Here is a picture of my uke that Jake signed with a paint pen since it is supposed to hold up better than a Sharpie....

IMG_0453.jpg

Step 1: buy a uke you don't ever plan on playing, because I can't imagine that would be good for the autograph.

Step 2:, politely ask him to sign it where ever you think it would look the best: around the soundhole, along the upper or lower bout, along the fretboard, etc

Step 3: Get a wall hanger like Mandarb and proudly display your new trophy!

Sure you can still play it, I put a small piece of "Ipad screen protector" on top which is invisible and makes protects it for life.

In the lobby.
Unless you are ticklish there.

I followed PoiDog's recommendation. I bought a cheap Makai, asked Jake to sign it above the bridge on the lower bout, and proudly display it on the shelf above my desk at work.

Every time I've been asked for my autograph there was a "dotted line" involved...

Actually, not quite true. In the mid-90's I was on location at an airshow doing a job for one of our clients - the client just happened to be Budweiser and the job was repairing some equipment in their "traveling museum." One of the items in their museum was one of Bill Elliot's old stock cars. The guys let me fire it up and while I was sitting in it a couple of (very drunk) guys happened by. They were all excited about meeting "Bill" and insisted on getting their picture taken with me and one of them wanted his shirt autographed. I was trying to explain the situation to them but they were thoroughly three-sheets to the wind and the guys that run the museum just whispered, "go ahead, it's the only way to get rid of them."

To this day I wonder if there aren't a couple of rednecks somewhere with my picture framed over their mantle, right next to the autographed shirt and the best deer antlers... If so, I'm thinking that their friends must all think, "Gee Bill really let himself go..." I also hope I spelled Elliot right...

:)

I love stuff like that!

I do random acts of madness just to have some fun... oh, those poor peeps on the other end of sales calls.

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and stories... But you did stir up another question. Many people suggested getting a cheap Uke to sign, I have three Ukes but none are cheap... A Tangi Mango Tenor, a 6-string Mele Concert in Koa and a traveling Mele Travel Tenor in Koa and Mahogony.... I was figuring I might have him autograph the Tangi, but now I don't know if I need another Uke...

Every time I've been asked for my autograph there was a "dotted line" involved...

Actually, not quite true. In the mid-90's I was on location at an airshow doing a job for one of our clients - the client just happened to be Budweiser and the job was repairing some equipment in their "traveling museum." One of the items in their museum was one of Bill Elliot's old stock cars. The guys let me fire it up and while I was sitting in it a couple of (very drunk) guys happened by. They were all excited about meeting "Bill" and insisted on getting their picture taken with me and one of them wanted his shirt autographed. I was trying to explain the situation to them but they were thoroughly three-sheets to the wind and the guys that run the museum just whispered, "go ahead, it's the only way to get rid of them."

To this day I wonder if there aren't a couple of rednecks somewhere with my picture framed over their mantle, right next to the autographed shirt and the best deer antlers... If so, I'm thinking that their friends must all think, "Gee Bill really let himself go..." I also hope I spelled Elliot right...

:)

I used to be a sushi chef and through that job met Ronnie Lott during the 49ers hayday. When we were out and about people would ask him for his autograph and he'd always tell them I was Jessie Sapulo. He always got such a huge kick out of doing that, but now I wonder how many people have my autograph among their memorabilia collection.

I would bring my best uke (Kanile'a Tenor) and put the iPad screen protector on the lower right bout (as in Mandarb's photo). I'd ask Jake to sign on the screen protector with my pen and then request that he play 30 sec. of "Gently Weeps" on the uke. That way I'd have a reference point for what the uke should sound like when played by a pro. If the plastic ends up affecting the sound, I'd move it to the back of the uke. It doesn't matter to me that the ink is actually ON the uke, just that he signed it for me. I'd have someone video everything. I figure ~3 minutes max if there's loads of people waiting.

I would just take a picture with the guy. If I really wanted an instrument to be signed, it would be a banjo or a banjo-uke. The skin head can be replaced without any detriment to the value of the instrument.

I wonder if Jake has signed any banjo-ukes...

Top Bottom