PDA

View Full Version : What ukulele are you looking to buy next? (UAS warning)

byjimini
01-05-2012, 09:06 AM
My collection is in my sig, and to be honest I can't afford to buy another uke because of them.

However, I'd love something with a slotted headstock, and possibly in a few years will order the Kanile'a K-4 Tenor 8 String.

http://kanileaukulele.com/k-4_tenor.php?osCsid=b6350ba0fdcc5c3c3918d09b1ae93a1 1

I saw someone playing dobro guitar at a folk weekend, we're now on friendly terms and I'd love to do that bluegrass-style slide guitar, but on a uke. Luckily MyaMoe do lap steels. :P

And lastly, I don't have a traditional-looking koa uke. The sceptre sounds absolutely beautiful, so I'd probably go for something that looks like the martin below, as to be that looks like the mutt's nuts.

So that my "I really don't need it and can't afford it but I really want it" list, what's on yours? :D

PoiDog
01-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I guess I must be in a very small minority here, but I don't really crave more 'ukuleles at all. Now that I have the two I have, my thirst has been slaked. Besides, I can only play one at a time.

That said, the only way I would even consider another one is for the outside. Something to keep in the backyard (or near enough) so I can just grab it when cooking a BBQ, hanging out after a day at work, or just as a way to take a small break between all the upkeep and work that a normal backyard needs. It would obviously be a low-end knockabout laminate, or maybe a flea or fluke - though I have a hard time justifying myself paying near $200 for a plastic molded uke.

But otherwise I am completely happy with the ukes I have and do not covet, desire, lust after, nor plan on acquiring any more.

efiscella
01-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Since this past September I have purchased 9 ukulele's. Out of those 9, I have sold 4 and I am honing myself down to the keepers. I will be keeping my Kamaka 8 string and my Koaloha concert. I enjoy playing the Pono soprano and the Islander solid mahogany tenor but would be willing to sell/trade them to purchase a Kanile'a tenor. I think that with the Kanile'a tenor I feel that my UAS would be cured (for awhile). Since September and having all 9 ukulele's, I have learned much about my own preferences in sound, design, and size.

byjimini
01-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Since this past September I have purchased 9 ukulele's. Out of those 9, I have sold 4 and I am honing myself down to the keepers. I will be keeping my Kamaka 8 string and my Koaloha concert. I enjoy playing the Pono soprano and the Islander solid mahogany tenor but would be willing to sell/trade them to purchase a Kanile'a tenor. I think that with the Kanile'a tenor I feel that my UAS would be cured (for awhile). Since September and having all 9 ukulele's, I have learned much about my own preferences in sound, design, and size.

That's a great post.

efiscella
01-05-2012, 10:26 AM
That's a great post.
Thanks, Kyle, and by the way, I enjoyed the videos and commentary on your website.

Caboose66
01-05-2012, 10:31 AM
A Hive Hornet!!

byjimini
01-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks, Kyle, and by the way, I enjoyed the videos and commentary on your website.

Thank you. :)

Steedy
01-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Maybe a couple of Mainland Geckos (http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=71&categoryId=11) for the grand-daughters.

guitarsnrotts
01-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Maybe a concert-sized pineapple for something a little different.

Pearlex3
01-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I've been saving up to get a good banjolele. I really love them, so long as I don't look at the price tag. :rolleyes:

byjimini
01-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Amen to the Gecko's. :)

Never seen Hive ukes before, seen about 5 people mention them today. Look lovely, but my-oh-my at the price; I should think they're beautiful instruments.

MisterRios
01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
I was *this* close to ordering an Ohana SK-38A over Christmas, but I like the 12 fret design of the SK-38 better. Instead, to give in to the itch of UAS I bought an Ohana Pineapple. It's my second uke, and I'd been badly itching for another one for two months.

I'm still planning on getting the original SK-38 if it ever appears. Long term, though, I'd love to get a custom Cedar Brüko, or a Koaloha Pineapple.

KimosTherapy
01-05-2012, 10:59 AM
If money weren't an issue, I would love to have a DeVine Master Grade Koa Tenor.

Ukuleleblues
01-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I used to keep a couple of "knock-arounds" to play and would "save" my nice ukes.

A friend of mine pointed out that I was always playing the cheap ones and not enjoying the nice ones.

I now play the nice ones and don't worry about messing them up. I bought them to play, not to look at. If they get all messed up and worn out then at least I will know I got my moneys worth out of them.

Remember you never, ever, see a U-haul behind a hearse.

I guess some folks are collectors and that is a little different as you buy your ukes and want them to be as pristine as possible so your family can make a killing on them after you pass, or your interests change or you need money for something or another.

Drew Bear
01-05-2012, 11:08 AM
I guess I must be in a very small minority here, but I don't really crave more 'ukuleles at all. Now that I have the two I have, my thirst has been slaked. Besides, I can only play one at a time...I am completely happy with the ukes I have and do not covet, desire, lust after, nor plan on acquiring any more.Although I agree with you philosophically, I still find myself scanning the marketplace. Fortunately used Moore Bettah tenors are rarely available. And even if one were to come up, it would need to be a very specific type of MB to lure me away from my Kanile'a. Realistically, that means I'm waiting for Chuck to open up his build list again. That's alright because it may take a few years for me to fully understand what I want in a ukulele.

Sporin
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Next on my list is a RipTide from Uke Republic. (http://ukemafia.com/hello-world/)

ukuraleigh
01-05-2012, 11:25 AM
I just bought this yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OD5EVS

I have no idea how it will sound, but I like the look of it and I wanted something for travel that I wouldn't cry over if it got damaged.

BTW, does UAS ever subside? I've been playing for 18 months and I have 7 ukuleles--I even bought my sis-in-law and good friend an uke for Christmas...just for the rush! :p

AncientMatingCalls
01-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Well, I have a Rally DUB-2F (or whatever that model number is) on the way. Which is nice because it will not only be my only banjo uke, but also my only concert.

Past that, I'm looking for a Kanilea tenor. I had one, sold it to buy a Koaloha super concert. Then sold the koaloha and accquired a Mele mahogany tenor, and a Mainland red cedar tenor. The Mainland didn't last long, maybe a week. I then picked up a Mele koa tenor which I am playing today. The mahogany Mele was sold to fund the banjo uke. The koa Mele will be considered for selling when I get a Kanilea. I'll have to see if I can justify keeping both.

Funny how things have away of coming back around.

ukuraleigh
01-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Next on my list is a RipTide from Uke Republic. (http://ukemafia.com/hello-world/)

That's a recent addition to my collection. It's a nice ukulele and definitely a distinct look to it. The built in tuner is a nice touch too! Playing mostly soprano, I've found it a little difficult to adjust to the larger fret spacing, but it has a nice sound to it. :)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
01-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Too late about the UAS warning, I recently ordered an Eleuke Peanut from Mim.

It's the Year of the Peanut folks! And Mim's got a bowl full to share with us!

keep uke'in',

mattydee
01-05-2012, 11:51 AM
KoAloha long neck pineapple for me. And I'm thinking about a mya-moe concert as well, though that's quite a ways in my future. I'm hoping to make the pineapple happen by summer - the better to enjoy beautiful Wisconsin weather and cocktails on the porch.

Sporin
01-05-2012, 11:54 AM
That's a recent addition to my collection. It's a nice ukulele and definitely a distinct look to it. The built in tuner is a nice touch too! Playing mostly soprano, I've found it a little difficult to adjust to the larger fret spacing, but it has a nice sound to it. :)

Excellent! I'm hoping that since I'm used to a Concert size, the Tenor won't be too much of an adjustment.

dnewton2
01-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Been wanting a pineapple for some time, either a Black bear or a kamaka. Also I have wanted a Koaloha 6 string for a couple years, the imaikalani not the d-vi. That said I have a Moore Bettah and Koaloha concert that are keeping me happy right now and have been for over a year.

gyosh
01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm working on myself to commit to a Compass Rose custom. Which is really a CR model "C" with a few personalized touches.

I only picked up my first uke last July on a trip to Kauai so I sort of went a little nuts at first, but I've pared it down to what I have now. The sopranos are for my son, and my wife can comfortably play tenors as well so after the Compass Rose my UAS will be in remission. . . although I'll be in Kauai again this July :)

Ukuleleblues
01-05-2012, 01:06 PM
I think a lot of folks don't understand why more than one or two ukes makes sense. I fish a lot, surf fish, boat fish, stream fish, bream fish, troll with down riggers, fly fish, lake fish, cat fish, shark fish....etc. Guess how many fishing rods/combinations I own? Seriously Guess.. I finally quit buying because I had what I wanted/needed. (Don't ask my wife if it is reasonable)

Now I think it is the same way with ukes. I would not take my loud punchy soprano camping, I take my mellow nylon stringer Gecko uke...

If I am playing along with a 12 string I use my resonator. If I am doing a mellow set I use my Bari, not my spruce top ringer dinger.

I'm sure not singing Tin pan alley on a Low G, it's got to be a D tuned blaster. etc. When I perform it's my LOUD D Tuned Concert.

If I am going to amp it I use my low G TeleUke (sounds Like crap acoustic but great amped).

When I play a Dixie land song I got an old sheep skinned camp ukle I play...etc. I try to stay away from laminates (except for camping).

I love having the options to switch.

I really don't give a big rats bum about bling ("look,I have an inlay of two Doves reciting the Gettysburg Address"), it's all about the sound and there is a lot of variation out there. It's all about having fun!!!

The neat part about it is you play each uke to its strengths. When I've been playing my old Harmony Blaster with 2 mile high action and I switch to my new "Mr Potato Head" spruce top uke from Mim with perfect action I have to change my attack. At first I don't like it, then I get in the groove, then I switch back and think "wow this blaster is loud and rough" and I change my style....how much fun and nobody is F'in with me. It's just me and my ukes.

If you buy them play them!!!!! Uke On!!

Scott S.
01-05-2012, 05:01 PM
A Kanile'a K-1 tenor premium from HMS is now in the hands of UPS on its way to me, after a thorough setup by MusicGuyMic. Will be here next week. I'm delirious.

Nickie
01-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I've been dreaming of a Moku concert, but I'm not sure. I like my new Kala from Mim so much, I play it 10 times as much as my old beater now. I'm thinking now that maybe I'd rather have a banjolele next... it IS a woman's perogative to change her mind, right? So many ukuleles, so little time, sigh...

Lexxy
01-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Possibly a uke with slotted headstocks and rosewood back/sides and cedar top. I can't stop thinking about the Ko'olau uke i saw online!

myrnaukelele
01-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I dream of someday owning a Kamaka tenor...
and a Mya Moe...

Loz
01-06-2012, 02:49 AM
I have a Mya Moe on order but it will not be completed until later this year. I have selected the wood though so now its just a waiting game for me...

ChrisRCovington
01-06-2012, 04:33 AM
The next ukulele I would WANT to buy is a nice Kamaka soprano. I don't care if it is new or an old one as long as it sounded good. In reality I don't think I'll have the $$$ for anything like that this year so who knows what I'll get next. I am starting to get to the point I only play three of my ukuleles much anyway: my Martin S1, my Applause and my aNueNue U900 pineapple with most of the time going to the Martin. I really only change up when I'm playing a song that needs a different sounding uke. Oh well I hang them on my wall in my living room so they look cool even if they gather a little dust :)

Trinimon
01-06-2012, 04:36 AM
I know what I'm getting next! Just got my quote from Tekla at Kamaka for a semi-csutom HF-3. Now I just have to wait till March to put in the order and pickup when I get there in June. :)

allanr
01-06-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm pretty sure that I finally have enough ukes... but UAS does not stay in remission for very long. The next ukes will probably be project ukes to hone my uke-tech skills. And on the "one day I hope to have" list are a Pohaku and a Compass Rose - but neither is realistically in this year's budget.