How to make and install a rosette

rickpauly

Reaction score
I make sopranos and would like to do a simple rosette. I have a router and I have succesfully made a channel. I don't want to extend the fret board to cover up where the rosette comes together. How do I complete the circle and not have a noticeable joint?
Thanks
Rick

Last edited:
You don't say what the rosette is made of so the answer may vary. If doing a wood rosette I would made it from one piece of wood or if abalone or pearl do a good job of fitting pieces. If using purfling a carful job of fitting is required.

with purfed rosettes I cut a 45degree scarf joint with a sharp chisel, creeping up on the right fit, then run the glue in and clamp a flat board over the top for 10 minutes. It's one of those things where just doing it is the best kind of practice. The first few I did I did a long fret board to cover the less than great join line.

Thanks to you all for the advice. I'm thinking of layered veneers wraped around something like the tube Timbuck used.
But I'm still not sure how to match the ends when I wrap it around the tube. Wait, I think I just figured it out. I would wrap the narrow strips of veneer in a spiral. I think that's what Timbuck was doing in his slide show.
Let me know if I'm on the right track and thanks again.
Rick

I often use celluloid binding. The ends at the joint will melt together with acetone or super glue. I install each one starting from the outside in and trim them as I put them in then flood the area with glue. I also use a herringbone purfling on occasion and it just takes time and patience to get it to look good. I cut my slots with a circle cutter.

Top Bottom