Kanilea's Islander MST-4: A review in two parts

GVlog

Reaction score
I received my Islander MST-4 this afternoon. This is from Kanilea's import line: an all-solid mahogany tenor-sized ukulele. My review will be in two parts. This first part just covers impressions of the instrument straight out of the box. The second part will be after I change the strings to low-G and do my own set-up.

The ukulele was purchased through Ukulele Hotline which had them for $204 shipped from Indiana to California. I don't believe they do any setups.

Here's the bullet-point detail:

• The ukulele is loud with a lovely woody tone. I don't have another tenor to do a side-by-side comparison in my home-office acoustic conditions so that may have to come later.
  • 12th-fret Action out of the box is 0.100" for the 1st string and 0.110" for the 4th string. This suits my standards and it's how I set-up my last ukulele. I don't want it too low that it might reduce the volume of the instrument and I want some room for adjustments with different strings.
  • Nut action is good some might pick nits and claim it's a smidge on the high side. Very good uthier-built ukuleles will show barely a sliver of light between the 1st fret and the string when fretted at the 3rd. The current space is enough to slip one calling-card through. I think this is correct and should be left that way to provide allowance for changes in humidity.
  • Overall playability is excellent with the 1.5" nut. I am so glad that Kanilea went wide on this. It definitely sets them apart from the pack for fingerstyle players like me.
  • I found only one uneven fret - the 15th on the treble side and just by a hair. I don't know if it's a fluke or their standard, but this is the best fret leveling I have seen in a production ukulele to-date (compared against Lanikai, Kala and Cordoba).
  • Fret dressing is very good. all frets seem level and smooth. There are no indications of coarse sanding that I've seen on several Pacific-Rim factory instruments. A light rubbing with steel wool will polish the frets nicely.
  • Fretboard edge is not bound but all fret-ends are smooth. No work needed here.
  • Fretboard looks fine but will look better after being conditioned with fretboard oil. I think Hawaiian Music Supply conditions the fretboard of their ukuleles before sending them out.
  • Bridge inspection found one very small spot where I can slip 1mm of paper into. This was into the lower-edge treble point. It's not an issue. The rest of the bridge edges are sealed.
  • Grover closed-gear tuners are nice and smooth.
  • Satin finish is smooth and even. External build is clean. I'll check the internal build in the second part of my review.
  • Top appears to be one solid piece of mahogany.
  • Sides are not bookmatched but are similar enough not to be noticed unless you're looking.
  • Back halves seem to be slightly bookmatched. It looks like that they were cut from the same wood.
  • Faux abalone rosette is fine. I can find minute indicators of tear-out along 3mm of the inner-edge when held at an angle. Almost everybody else who isn't an anal-retentive tech or luthier wouldn't notice this. ;)
  • Faux tortoise-shell binding has a very nice 3-dimensional quality to it since you can slightly see through it.
  • The Islander logos seem to be spray-painted or silk-screened on. I'm tempted to gently remove one of them using steel wool. Maybe I'll remove both and replace it with another logo. Might save that for a future project.

The MST-4 has made a very good first impression on me. If this is how they are straight from Kanilea, then I doubt that there's much more of a set-up needed.

I think this ukulele will really pump when tuned to low-G with Worth clears. I'll be ordering a set of strings shortly. I will then polish the frets and condition the fretboard.

The Nu-Bone nut and saddle are good but I'm thinking of juicing up the instrument even more with real bone. I have the tools and materials for this. I believe Nu-Bone nuts are hollow.

I mentioned nothing about intonation. Intonation can be affected by string quality, uneven string stretching, and other factors so I don't think it's worth assessing. An accurately machine-cut fretboard with properly placed frets shouldn't cause intonation issues. This MST-4 with its installed Aquila intonates within 0-5 cents at the 12th fret. That's pretty much in line with all my best instruments.

This should be an excellent fingerstyle ukulele once I convert it to low-G. It should handle Daniel Ho's pieces from his CD/tunebook Polani very well.

Very good so far!
:) :) :)

Last edited:
I'm thinking that I might invent a new Islander headstock logo if I remove the current ones.

Perhaps something like this:

logoislander.jpg

Derived from the original Kanilea logo:

logokanilea.jpg

;)

Just saw this thread. $204 is really a great bargain. I went to the site just and they don't have MST-4 anymore. In fact, they don't have any from the Islander line anymore.

Just saw this thread. $204 is really a great bargain. I went to the site just and they don't have MST-4 anymore. In fact, they don't have any from the Islander line anymore.
Did you call them? They didn't have time to put the Islanders on their website. I just went around calling Kanilea dealers to find the ukulele and the best price.

Thanks for the review. I have a MSC-4 arriving today. I did contact Uke Hotline about a week ago. They did not have any solid Islander tenors or concerts left.

Correction on your 2nd bullet point: I think you're off by one decimal point on the action height. [12th-fret Action out of the box is 0.010"] That would be 1/100 in. (1/4 mm). Is it 1/10 in. (2.5 mm)?

Correction on your 2nd bullet point: I think you're off by one decimal point on the action height. [12th-fret Action out of the box is 0.010"] That would be 1/100 in. (1/4 mm). Is it 1/10 in. (2.5 mm)?

Thanks for the catch, Drew! I corrected it. 2.5mm.
:)

I like the "new" logo.

I'd be fine if Kanilea wanted to adopt it for their second-generation line of Islanders. Hey, the name's getting established so they should just go for a logo rather than spelling it out!
:D

Are they still selling these? I don't see them on their website and they are just a state away...

Are they still selling these? I don't see them on their website and they are just a state away...
If you're referring to Ukulele Hotline (aka Reno's Music) in Indiana, they never listed them on their website. You had to call them. They're waiting for new stock like most other retailers. The 2012 Islanders will have some unconfirmed changes.

Did you call them? They didn't have time to put the Islanders on their website. I just went around calling Kanilea dealers to find the ukulele and the best price.

With all the hypes I hear at the moment, I think I will wait for the second generation (2012) Islander.

Glad to see this review, I just ordered the MST-4. I got it from UkuleleHotline as well, I took a chance and called them anyway and they actually had one in stock. I got it for 179.99 (3.99 to ship), he did say that they trickle in, so I would suggest calling back from time to time for those interested.

I got it for 179.99 (3.99 to ship), he did say that they trickle in, so I would suggest calling back from time to time for those interested.
That's a $20 price drop from when I got it and a pretty good deal! Bigdog got one for that price with their "club discount".

If you're referring to Ukulele Hotline (aka Reno's Music) in Indiana, they never listed them on their website. You had to call them. They're waiting for new stock like most other retailers. The 2012 Islanders will have some unconfirmed changes.
Now I'm wondering what these unconfirmed changes are. If hammer40 got a 2012, then it will be interesting to hear his review. Or maybe Kanilea is clearing out the 2011 stock in anticipation of the 2012s?

Wasn't the old MSRP for the MST-4 $330? It looks like it's now $305 on the Islander Ukulele website.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing all the leg-work on the review.

My MST-4 just came from HMS yesterday (I didn't get nearly the deal Ukulele Hotline was apparently giving). So far I can second all the accolades, but I'm still waiting for this poor guy to warm up (it's cold in MA!). I changed the Aquilas out to Worth browns which I had leftover -- how sweet is it that Worth sends double sets. I know there's a previous thread about stock Aquilas, and I can't tell if it's just personal preference, but I was not thrilled with the feel or the sound of the Aquilas.

This is my first tenor, and my first experience with the Kanilea neck; aside from needing to sleep hung from my fingers to stretch them out, I like the feel. Definitely more friendly for fingerpicking.

Oh, and if the headstock logo above ever gets approved, put me on the list for a transplant -- that's nice work.

Cheers.

Last edited:
That's a $20 price drop from when I got it and a pretty good deal! Bigdog got one for that price with their "club discount".

Now I'm wondering what these unconfirmed changes are. If hammer40 got a 2012, then it will be interesting to hear his review. Or maybe Kanilea is clearing out the 2011 stock in anticipation of the 2012s?

Wasn't the old MSRP for the MST-4 $330? It looks like it's now $305 on the Islander Ukulele website.

I didn't get a 2012, it was his last 2011 and I sent it back due to blemishes. I'm a complete newb, so my only review would be that it did sound beautiful. A very large and warm sound I thought, I hated that I had to send it back.

I didn't get a 2012, it was his last 2011 and I sent it back due to blemishes. I'm a complete newb, so my only review would be that it did sound beautiful. A very large and warm sound I thought, I hated that I had to send it back.

That is a shame.

Mine was a HMS "second," in that it made it through Kanilea's QC. So far, I've been able to find a single drop/dust speck on the back that didn't get completely rubbed out, and if I run my finger on the inside edge of the sound hole there is a two-inch section that wasn't completely sanded. Mike at HMS also said there was a blemish on the headstock, but his eyes must be better than mine; I can't find it.

FWIW, (and I obviously don't know how blemished yours was), HMS sold it at a discount. So all in all, it's not a bad way to shop.

Don't know if anyone's still interested in this thread, but thought I'd do a quick update:

The Worths are settled in, the Islander has finally shook off the cold, and it sounds wonderful. Round or full is how it sounds to my ear.

Although Worth BMs are my favorite strings, I may eventually switch back the Aquila low G -- there's a lot of potential unrealized on the lower end, I think/hope.

And in case anyone else is in my position (having played sopranos almost exclusively) be forewarned: Tenors are dangerous -- they sound really, really good!

A quick update Visited a few sites and noticed MST-4 price has jumped up to around $314 within just a few months.

Top Bottom