Shipping a uke?

kamaka_4_life

Reaction score
Hey UU Fam, so i've come to the conclusion that I really want to give my old uke to a friend. The only problem is, I have to ship it to Cali!! I was wondering if anyone has experience shipping an ukulele "preferably Tenor size" with the case through USPS, or any other shipping company? I don't know what size box would fit the uke, or where I could get a box to accommodate the size? Any help would be appreciated, thanks ;-)

Josh

You could just go to a ups store and they will box it up. You could try a music store and see if they would give you a guitar box too. Pack the case in a plastic bag to protect it from water damage then pack around it with packing material.

Make sure the uke is double boxed. Put the uke in the case and make sure that it can't move (wrap it in bubble wrap or towels or something soft but secure. Wrap the case in several layers of bubble wrap and put it in a box. Again make sure that it is secure and can't move around. Then put that box in another larger box, pad the empty space between the boxes again ensuring that the inner box can't shift. Make sure the distance between the inner and outer boxes is several inches so if something accidentally penetrates the box it won't hit the inner box. If you pack this way it really doesn't matter which shipper you use. They all give reasonable service with occasional problems, but in general, the problems are with individuals not companies so they are difficult to predict. UPS offers a "we pack" option in which they guarantee the "packing". They broke a 5K piece of my sculpture and it took me about 7 months and lots of wrangling to get paid off even though the piece was going to a gallery and had independent appraisals. The problem is that things like insurance are now subcontracted and when you deal with the subcontractor their main goal is keeping claims down for the business, and the business doesn't care about what you think because they just say "it's the decision of the company we subcontract to". There seems to be little interest in corporate responsibility, but this thread was about packing <g>. There are some differences in insurance policies between the companies and they are worth checking out depending on the value of what you're shipping, but even with insurance it can be a hassle to get your money. Really it sounds a lot more complicated than it is and if you pack well you'll have few problems. cheers, g2

Make sure the uke is double boxed. Put the uke in the case and make sure that it can't move (wrap it in bubble wrap or towels or something soft but secure. Wrap the case in several layers of bubble wrap and put it in a box. Again make sure that it is secure and can't move around. Then put that box in another larger box, pad the empty space between the boxes again ensuring that the inner box can't shift. Make sure the distance between the inner and outer boxes is several inches so if something accidentally penetrates the box it won't hit the inner box. If you pack this way it really doesn't matter which shipper you use. They all give reasonable service with occasional problems, but in general, the problems are with individuals not companies so they are difficult to predict. UPS offers a "we pack" option in which they guarantee the "packing". They broke a 5K piece of my sculpture and it took me about 7 months and lots of wrangling to get paid off even though the piece was going to a gallery and had independent appraisals. The problem is that things like insurance are now subcontracted and when you deal with the subcontractor their main goal is keeping claims down for the business, and the business doesn't care about what you think because they just say "it's the decision of the company we subcontract to". There seems to be little interest in corporate responsibility, but this thread was about packing <g>. There are some differences in insurance policies between the companies and they are worth checking out depending on the value of what you're shipping, but even with insurance it can be a hassle to get your money. Really it sounds a lot more complicated than it is and if you pack well you'll have few problems. cheers, g2

This is perfect advice the only thing I would add is loosen the strings so they are not under full tension.

That is good advice.

If you use USPS, DO NOT USE PARCEL POST, use Express Mail or Priority Mail. UPS 2nd Day Air service is good too.

I ship all of my ukes via USPS Express mail without a problem, except for the occasional delay (sorry Gary!) Mind you, it'll cost you a hundred bucks but it's worth it for a valuable uke. I once had someone from Japan send me an uke just in the case, no box. A few wraps of duct tape around the case and sent it USPS. Not recommended BTW but it made it safely. Good advice on going to your local music store for packing materials.

Was there some possible problems with bubble wrap coming in contact with certain finishes on a uke? Maybe cover the uke with an old cotton t-shirt/sheet first?

Had a uke shipped to me from Hawaii in the Kamaka case and the lightweight box it is delivered to the retailer in. No packing box, wrap etc.! Thankfully it was just fine. Got another Kamaka from Artisan Guitars that was extremely well packed, one of the best I've seen. Sure appreciated that.

Yes, definitely check out a local music store for a nice packing box.

OMG!! Thank you, amazing advice :) I think I will take it down to a UPS store and see what they can do for me!

I ship all of my ukes via USPS Express mail without a problem, except for the occasional delay (sorry Gary!) Mind you, it'll cost you a hundred bucks but it's worth it for a valuable uke. I once had someone from Japan send me an uke just in the case, no box. A few wraps of duct tape around the case and sent it USPS. Not recommended BTW but it made it safely. Good advice on going to your local music store for packing materials.

It was $100 to ship?!?! Wow that's crazy this uke is around $200 or so, but I didn't think I would have to spend that much for shipping :(

That is good advice.

If you use USPS, DO NOT USE PARCEL POST, use Express Mail or Priority Mail. UPS 2nd Day Air service is good too.

Thanks, yea parcel post sucks and can take longer than a month, hopefully shipping wont be $100 :(

$100 is for Express Mail (next day delivery guaranteed). I'd use FedEx Home Delivery (basically Ground for residential addresses), which was ~$12.50 CA to ID for a tenor uke.

$100 is for Express Mail (next day delivery guaranteed). I'd use FedEx Home Delivery (basically Ground for residential addresses), which was ~$12.50 CA to ID for a tenor uke.

I see, so i'll try and check out FedEx :) do they pack for you, and do delivery conformation?

I see, so i'll try and check out FedEx :) do they pack for you, and do delivery conformation?
A FedEx "store" might pack a uke for you, but I doubt they'd know how to do it correctly. I also don't know how much they'd charge for the packing service. Delivery conformation is included with every shipment. Tracking info is better than USPS.

Top Bottom