Marmite Ukulele Idea, and a bonus Lovecraft

Skrik

Reaction score
I suddenly have the notion that a ukulele somehow sporting the Marmite logo would be a fine (albeit kitschy) thing to make. Feel free to take the idea and run with it (but post the progress in a UU thread), whilst I'm thinking about how to realise it for myself.

In the meantime, I found this abomination.

That ukulele rules harder than any other ukulele I have ever seen.

Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Our local club is the Marmite Ukulele club: http://www.myspace.com/marmiteukuleleclub

AnnaUK on here is one of the founders. They do stickers and badges and suchlike. Not sure there has been a Marmite-themed ukulele, but one of the other founders has done some interesting luthiery.

"now restrung and confirmed as completely playable"

Hmmm, I suspect one has to have a pretty broad definition of "playable..." With that much gunk on the fretboard I bet you don't have to worry about waking the neighbors... LOL

BTW, what's Marmite, is that anything like Vegemite?

EDIT: Dang, sometimes I amaze myself - I thought I was being a smart-aleck but looks like I pretty much hit it on the head! :rofl:

marmauke.jpg

I guess it could work...

A Marmite-lele? What a marvellous idea!

Hmmmmm, I've got a plastic Marmite lunchbox shaped like a giant jar - I wonder if that could be adapted...

You've started my poor old brain working on this now ha ha :)

We have a product in Australia called "Vegemite" which is also a yeast extract product. The labels on the jars are a very thin plastic and are easy to remove if you soak the jar in some hot water. Once you get the label off and let it dry, you can attach it to most surfaces, like your uke case. It will also attach to most uke finishes, but its hard to remove from a wood surface without damaging the finish.
You use stuff called acrylic binder, first put a coat on the place where the motif is going and let it dry. Then saturate the motif in the binder (top and bottom) and paste it on. Finish with a neat final coat. If you like to be really neat you can mark the area with some masking tape so there is a neat border around the motif.
Two motifs are on the photo which should have attached itself, one is off a Vegemite jar and the other is off a Margaret River Dairy Company packet (thin cardboard).
Perhaps you can do the same with Marmite labels, although if you have ever had some Vegemite in hot toast with real butter, you would never think of Marmite again.

marmite is the best being a pom in perth i coukdnt take to vegimete, but i quite liked the cheese vegimite tasted slightly like marmite, and as a major marmite lover a marmite uke sounds incredibly fantastic,
Bill what area of perth are you in, i lived in stirling near innaloo, hope to return oneday for good i spent 5 and a half years there but my ozzie wife wants some time in uk, i cant settle and call perth home now :( anyway have a good weekend, oh is there any uke clubs in perth ?

BTW, what's Marmite, is that anything like Vegemite?

Yep, but Marmite is better. Actually it's one of those Coke vs Pepsi, Ford vs GM etc things where a debate is easily triggered when there's not much really between them. At least that's the case in Aussie/NZ, where Aussies tend more towards Vegemite and Kiwis tend towards Marmite (there are, however, traitors on both sides!)

although if you have ever had some Vegemite in hot toast with real butter, you would never think of Marmite again.

Kudos for the correct preparation of *mite on toast. Always cracks me up to see tourists trying really thickly applied *mite. However, IMHO: British Marmite > AUS/NZ Marmite > Vegemite. Yes, the British stuff is different and better.

Last edited:
I've had both, both taste like sweaty sweaty sweaty sweaty AND dirty sweat socks, or maybe that's the odor that I am remembering. Yes, I had both on toast, and not spread like jam either. OMFG.

No offense intended at all, I realize it's an acquired taste and is very nutritious. I had crab brains in my favorite sushi restaurant once, they are considered a delicacy, and they were pretty awful to my taste. I'm fairly adventurous with food, I have eaten jellyfish and sea cucumber for example and enjoy both when I can get them. I think it's one of those things that if you have it when young it's great.

Cheese could certainly improve either 'mite IMO. :p

I guess I would be drinking a cream soda and driving a Toyota. ;)

Last edited:
I'm not a marmite fan myself. I ate some once when a performer from Circus Oz offered it to members of the audience.
It was their last show in New York and I was the first person to try it for the entire run. I love that Australia has so many uke groups,
just like it has so many circus groups and schools. Fun place! :cool:

Liking marmite might depend on liking salty savory flavors. I liked it from the get-go--an NZ friend shared some on a tomato sandwich. Really good. I have mine on toast with butter. Or on tomato sandwiches on homemade bread.

On a uke, I dunno.

you can even get marmite peawnuts here in the uk, also there is a health food in oz called marmite but it is not the proper marmite from the uk, different packaging also i always put a spoonful of marmite in my stews and my chili con carne and spag bol, but marmite is one of those thngs that you ever love or hate, bit like jedward, who i hate lol

I've had both, both taste like sweaty sweaty sweaty sweaty AND dirty sweat socks, or maybe that's the odor that I am remembering.

It's yeasty but not that kind of yeast (athletes foot spread on toast - blurgh). It's actually a byproduct of beer production, so the awesome kind of yeast.

Cheese could certainly improve either 'mite IMO. :p

LOL typical American response "it tastes funny, throw cheese at it!" Interestingly enough, that is actually one way it is prepared: In a sandwich with a slice of cheese, or in a toasted sandwich etc.. They even came out with a vegemite and cheese spread

thats the vegemite i was on about it was the only one i could eat when living in oz, my mum bless her used to send me parcels full of marmite but we got warned by customs, they thought we were marmite smugglers :) i think i just got the name for my band, ukuleleDaveey and the marmite smugglers :) i do like the cheesey vegimite but uk marmite is the best for me :)

LOL typical American response "it tastes funny, throw cheese at it!" Interestingly enough, that is actually one way it is prepared: In a sandwich with a slice of cheese, or in a toasted sandwich etc.. They even came out with a vegemite and cheese spread

Cheese, chocolate, or a combination of the two can make almost anything edible if you use enough... LOL

Unfortunately, some things have such a terrible odor (kimche, anybody?) that I can't even get close enough to it to throw cheese at it. Honestly, I've never tasted kimche, it might be wonderful. But, after being around it, and around people who eat it and then think chewing gum somehow masks the odor literally coming out of the pores in their skin, just the smell of it is enough to make me toss my cookies! :)

Years ago we had a tech rep who knew how I felt about the stuff so he brought a jar in for lunch just to annoy me. He succeeded. He also went hungry after I grabbed the jar, walked it outside, and threw it into the field across the parking lot! (He was a jerk in every way I can think of, anyway.) He yelled, "Hey, you can't do that!" I looked at him and said just as nice as could be, "you're quite right, I can't because I already have. Now, if you bring another, I'll show you how well I can throw that one too." Ahh, I miss the days when I was devil-may-care enlisted grunt. LOL

John

Kimchi is awesome! I could eat it all day. My stomach probably couldn't take it currently because I'm still treating an ulcer, but cabbage, garlic, scallions, sesame oil & hot pepper, yum!

I can sure understand why people who don't care for garlic and pepper would not be able to stand it. I'm a garlic lover, so I always have to think of where I will be and what I'll be doing there the next day, because the garlic odor isn't coming from the mouth as much as it is the lungs, that's why gum won't mask it. And any reputable Italian meal will do the same (scampi :D); they also use hot red pepper. The solution to other people's bad breath is to eat some garlic one's self, then it's barely noticable.

Re the cheese, I was originally referring back to ukuleledaveey mentioning there was a cheese version of marmite. I expect I would actually probably like it now that I know that the secret ingredient is BUTTER on the toast first. That would have made a huge difference in palatability.

now that I know that the secret ingredient is BUTTER on the toast first. That would have made a huge difference in palatability.

You can use a decent margarine as well... the real trick is that as with all culinary masterpieces; timing is everything. Put the bread in the toaster and DON'T [obscenity of your choice] MOVE. Get that toast straight out of the toaster, get that butter/marge straight on, then when it's good and melted put your *mite on. Don't put bread in the toaster and wander off to deal with other things before coming back to warm or cold toast. You'll be sorely disappointed. Folding your laundry or going for a leak can wait, you've got to watch that toaster like a hawk.

Damn... think I might go make some marmite on toast now

Really, I was waiting for someone to make the comment that Marmite is an ancient evil that can drive you to insanity just by contemplating it.

...what, no other Americans read the thread title and had that thought?

Top Bottom