PDA

View Full Version : Violin?

ukebuilder
01-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Anyone ever made one from a kit? My wife plays and thinks I can make her one. I have looked at the kits but it seems doable but just thought I would ask here.

banjoprat
01-06-2012, 01:05 PM
I have made a Stewmac Violin Kit for my Wife, is a nice kit.

BlackBearUkes
01-06-2012, 03:20 PM
I have helped a friend complete two of these kits in the past. Kits are mostly rough carved and will need work and knowledge before they are assembled. The Stew-Mac is OK but rough. I would suggest reading and studying violin making before you jump in. Having some good carving tools is a big plus also. Good luck with you endeavor.

Liam Ryan
01-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I imagine part-time violin (and all carved instrument) making to be rather difficult, but I suppose the part-time violin makers might say the same thing about uke making............

Philstix
01-07-2012, 04:52 PM
The real question insn't is it doable - of course it is - the real question is what level of violin does your wife expect to have at the end of the build? What is the level of her current instrument? Do you expect to surpass it? You might want to look at some of the books put out by Henry Strobel to give you an idea of what you need to do to produce an acceptable instrument. I would in no way want to discourage you but if your goal is a good sounding violin you have some research ahead of you

ukebuilder
01-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I am doing lots of research and reading and I am not in no way going to making something that will surpass hers now. I am just wanting something playable. Something she can mess with and give her a smile because I made it. I just did know if it was going to be harder than I am thinking it is. All this was said about the uke before I made one. I am not looking to make but one so I want to make it right.

Philstix
01-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Your expectations are very reasonable. I say go for it. It should be a lot of fun.

Gyozu
01-08-2012, 04:20 AM
What kits have you looked at?

Which one are you leaning towards.

I have a niece who has been thinking of adding violin to her playing list.

ukebuilder
01-08-2012, 09:08 AM
What kits have you looked at?

Which one are you leaning towards.

I have a niece who has been thinking of adding violin to her playing list.

It is all what you want to spend, I have looked at Stew Mac and also the Grizzly one as well. I have found a couple other that are a bit more but also the quality looks better. This is why I posted this thread, to see if anyone has done a kit and which one might be better. Most look the same other than the ebony wood used. I am leaning towards the one I found that had higher end wood and used real ebony.

fitncrafty
01-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Anyone ever made one from a kit? My wife plays and thinks I can make her one. I have looked at the kits but it seems doable but just thought I would ask here.

MY daughter plays the violin and I looked at the kits, people gave them great reviews and did some amazing things with inlays, stains etc.. I would say go for it. Do something to personalize it and make it really special with a unique stain or inlay.. Good luck I hope that you will share some photos down the road.