Taylor Ukulele...It's official :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PedalFreak

Reaction score
So I've seen the new Taylor uke. It is a Tenor. They are going to be a "Builders Reserve" item, so low numbers, didn't say how many but rumors are only 25. They are paired with a custom GS Koa Taylor. The ukes are 100% built by hand by Andy Powers. Didn't mention the neck joint, but from the sounds of it it's got a more traditional neck joint instead of Taylor's normal bolt on neck.

Also from the sounds of it, the uke that Taylor Swift was seen playing earlier this year was a Taylor (the one with a diamond sound hole). They said they built 3 prototypes, 2 went to Taylor, the other one to Bob Taylor.

It is very cool looking. It's going to be big money, from what I've heard I'd guess around $14k for the set street price, maybe more.

I'd post photos, but don't know if that would be cool with Taylor as they only sent the photos and info to dealers. I'll get some photos and playing time at NAMM :D

It comes in a set, a Uke and a Guitar. Both hand made :) It's not just the uke for that price.

I believe Andy's instruments start at $4500. So , when you figure he is building these and you are getting a guitar and uke, it's not that bad of a price :)

Last edited:
Ya get dinner with Miss Swift for that price?
I'm definitely puttin' that bridge up for sale again.

Wow. Thought people here would have an idea what handcrafted instruments sell for.

In my shop right now I've got a custom build Taylor GS that is selling for $8100. Pair that with what would normally sell for at least $4500, and a $12-14k price for both in a set isn't a bad deal. Only a very limited number being built.

Wow. Thought people here would have an idea what handcrafted instruments sell for.

In my shop right now I've got a custom build Taylor GS that is selling for $8100. Pair that with what would normally sell for at least $4500, and a $12-14k price for both in a set isn't a bad deal. Only a very limited number being built.

I see, for the pair together is a steal in my opinion lol hopefully they go to the right hands :)

Whatever. Let Taylor charge what they feel they can get for it. At some point the cost of the uke becomes less a factor of materials and construction and more of status and (for lack of a better word and not meant as a pejorative) elitism.

While that Taylor uke may sound better than, say, a production run Kamaka, I doubt it is four to five times the better uke. Nor do I believe it would be twice to three times as good as a Moore Bettah, Pohaku, or other uke by some of the custom builders who stop by here. But then again, the Taylor name carries a cachet and a sense of luxury not seen in the other names.

And yes, I do realize that the builder's time, expertise, etc etc etc are involved in the price of the uke. But so is the bling of the name and the image of owning a "Handmade Taylor (R) Ukulele" It seems that folks willing to pay for this combination are paying at least as much (if not more) for the name than the instrument.

I certainly don't have any problem with Taylor charging $14K, $20K, or even $100K for this package. Nor with those who can afford them going out and buying them. If they can get that coin, good for them! But ultimately, once the price starts to get this high, they are only worth this much only because people are willing to pay that much, not because they are proportionally better.

And now I'll get off my pinko soapbox.

Ha Ha they are out of their minds....Hell no way....not even a seven hundred would intrest me....forget the guitar....

Last edited:
I knew this first run would be expensive. My estimate when i heard they were pairing it with a koa guitar was 10k. so I am off by a little bit. I just hope they make an affordable uke that I can buy one day.

I definitely understand the price if I don't really appreciate it. One of the things I have always liked about Taylor guitars is that you could own one if you really wanted to, while the handmade ones were there for people who really wanted them. I feel confident that they will come out with a more affordable version. Meanwhile, I'll keep trying to save up money for an aNueNue tenor.

Wow, PoiDog, I just find myself agreeing with your posts lately. Maybe it has something to do with that old saying about great minds thinking alike? :p

There are so many levels of quality with instruments. But there does come a point of diminishing returns where the cost is no longer justified or proportionate to the quality.

Some people really like bling, I don't. Fancy inlays and bindings can cost you a lot extra. I prefer simplicity and nice woods over bling.

The thing about Taylor, yeah, a lot of people respect the brand. But it's not really differentiated when Andy Powers' 100% handmade instruments are sold under the same brand as the lower-end Taylors made in their factory in Mexico.

Taylor guitars seem to be on the bright side....like a comparison to KoAloha Uke.... nothing wrong with that.... but for that price, that is outragous...I would rather buy a Koaloha Uke custom
anyday than a Taylor Uke even if I had the money.... and Yes I would choose a Kamaka HF3 before the Taylor ukulele too....I shouldn't be ragging on Taylor though, they can charge whatever
they like...

I agree, they are only selling the Taylor name at that price point. Im not a fan of Taylor guitars and you could do so much better for that much money.

I don't understand the sales strategy of packaging a uke with a guitar.

I'll show my ignorance here, but unless Andy Powers is considered to be the Stradivari of ukulele luthiers, I think Taylor is trying to separate status-addicted fools from their money, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom