PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Ukulele...It's official :)

PedalFreak
01-06-2012, 01:44 PM
So I've seen the new Taylor uke. It is a Tenor. They are going to be a "Builders Reserve" item, so low numbers, didn't say how many but rumors are only 25. They are paired with a custom GS Koa Taylor. The ukes are 100% built by hand by Andy Powers. Didn't mention the neck joint, but from the sounds of it it's got a more traditional neck joint instead of Taylor's normal bolt on neck.

Also from the sounds of it, the uke that Taylor Swift was seen playing earlier this year was a Taylor (the one with a diamond sound hole). They said they built 3 prototypes, 2 went to Taylor, the other one to Bob Taylor.

It is very cool looking. It's going to be big money, from what I've heard I'd guess around $14k for the set street price, maybe more.

I'd post photos, but don't know if that would be cool with Taylor as they only sent the photos and info to dealers. I'll get some photos and playing time at NAMM :D

itsme
01-06-2012, 01:52 PM
$14K? You've got to be kidding me! :eek:

kamaka_4_life
01-06-2012, 01:55 PM
That is a crazy price for a uke...

PedalFreak
01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
It comes in a set, a Uke and a Guitar. Both hand made :) It's not just the uke for that price.

I believe Andy's instruments start at $4500. So , when you figure he is building these and you are getting a guitar and uke, it's not that bad of a price :)

stevepetergal
01-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Ya get dinner with Miss Swift for that price?
I'm definitely puttin' that bridge up for sale again.

PedalFreak
01-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Wow. Thought people here would have an idea what handcrafted instruments sell for.

In my shop right now I've got a custom build Taylor GS that is selling for $8100. Pair that with what would normally sell for at least $4500, and a $12-14k price for both in a set isn't a bad deal. Only a very limited number being built.

kamaka_4_life
01-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Wow. Thought people here would have an idea what handcrafted instruments sell for.

In my shop right now I've got a custom build Taylor GS that is selling for $8100. Pair that with what would normally sell for at least $4500, and a $12-14k price for both in a set isn't a bad deal. Only a very limited number being built.

I see, for the pair together is a steal in my opinion lol hopefully they go to the right hands :)

PoiDog
01-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Whatever. Let Taylor charge what they feel they can get for it. At some point the cost of the uke becomes less a factor of materials and construction and more of status and (for lack of a better word and not meant as a pejorative) elitism.

While that Taylor uke may sound better than, say, a production run Kamaka, I doubt it is four to five times the better uke. Nor do I believe it would be twice to three times as good as a Moore Bettah, Pohaku, or other uke by some of the custom builders who stop by here. But then again, the Taylor name carries a cachet and a sense of luxury not seen in the other names.

And yes, I do realize that the builder's time, expertise, etc etc etc are involved in the price of the uke. But so is the bling of the name and the image of owning a "Handmade Taylor (R) Ukulele" It seems that folks willing to pay for this combination are paying at least as much (if not more) for the name than the instrument.

I certainly don't have any problem with Taylor charging $14K, $20K, or even $100K for this package. Nor with those who can afford them going out and buying them. If they can get that coin, good for them! But ultimately, once the price starts to get this high, they are only worth this much only because people are willing to pay that much, not because they are proportionally better.

And now I'll get off my pinko soapbox.

gyosh
01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
And now I'll get off my pinko soapbox.

LOL! That cracked me up!!!

mm stan
01-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Ha Ha they are out of their minds....Hell no way....not even a seven hundred would intrest me....forget the guitar....

Ukuleleblues
01-06-2012, 04:21 PM
It comes in a set, a Uke and a Guitar. Both hand made :) It's not just the uke for that price.

I believe Andy's instruments start at $4500. So , when you figure he is building these and you are getting a guitar and uke, it's not that bad of a price :)
What a deal!!!l Maybe I 'll get two, Might PO the wife though.

ukeeku
01-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Taylor is my first stop at NAMM thursday morning

haolejohn
01-06-2012, 05:16 PM
I knew this first run would be expensive. My estimate when i heard they were pairing it with a koa guitar was 10k. so I am off by a little bit. I just hope they make an affordable uke that I can buy one day.

Rubio MHS
01-06-2012, 05:35 PM
I definitely understand the price if I don't really appreciate it. One of the things I have always liked about Taylor guitars is that you could own one if you really wanted to, while the handmade ones were there for people who really wanted them. I feel confident that they will come out with a more affordable version. Meanwhile, I'll keep trying to save up money for an aNueNue tenor.

itsme
01-06-2012, 05:37 PM
<snip>

Wow, PoiDog, I just find myself agreeing with your posts lately. Maybe it has something to do with that old saying about great minds thinking alike? :p

There are so many levels of quality with instruments. But there does come a point of diminishing returns where the cost is no longer justified or proportionate to the quality.

Some people really like bling, I don't. Fancy inlays and bindings can cost you a lot extra. I prefer simplicity and nice woods over bling.

The thing about Taylor, yeah, a lot of people respect the brand. But it's not really differentiated when Andy Powers' 100% handmade instruments are sold under the same brand as the lower-end Taylors made in their factory in Mexico.

CoLmes
01-06-2012, 05:39 PM

I thought coffin case boobie girls were 1st stop :(

ukeeku
01-06-2012, 06:14 PM
I thought coffin case boobie girls were 1st stop :(
they are an appointment at 12, Taylor opens at 9:30. so taylor then boobies

mm stan
01-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Taylor guitars seem to be on the bright side....like a comparison to KoAloha Uke.... nothing wrong with that.... but for that price, that is outragous...I would rather buy a Koaloha Uke custom
anyday than a Taylor Uke even if I had the money.... and Yes I would choose a Kamaka HF3 before the Taylor ukulele too....I shouldn't be ragging on Taylor though, they can charge whatever
they like...

specialk13
01-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I agree, they are only selling the Taylor name at that price point. Im not a fan of Taylor guitars and you could do so much better for that much money.

Gillian
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I don't understand the sales strategy of packaging a uke with a guitar.

I'll show my ignorance here, but unless Andy Powers is considered to be the Stradivari of ukulele luthiers, I think Taylor is trying to separate status-addicted fools from their money, IMO.

UncleElvis
01-06-2012, 08:10 PM

Cool... Colin will distract while you steal me one of those ukes. Right?

joejeweler
01-06-2012, 08:18 PM
I'll wait for the un-"packaged" price and consider a Taylor Uke on it's own merits, when and if it can be purchased by itself. I've always been a bit turned off with packaged pricing, with a few exceptions. The local supermarket deal of buy ONE banana bread and get TWO free is a right fine arrangement! :D (can combine blueberry and apply flavors also)
Sometimes regular bread is offered the same way, and it freezes well so i jump on those deals when available. But having to buy a guitar i don't need in order to buy a ukulele i might want won't get me to sign up. I'm sort of a practicle guy,.......maybe someone will want to split their set up someday! lol

Seems to me if you're going to be branching out into the hot ukulele market, you'd want a large exposure of instruments hitting the stores at a competitive price point,......especially in a weak economy.

If i want to buy a ukulele,......that's ALL i'm looking for at that moment. I don't want to have to buy a chevy truck when all i really want is a chevy "Volt". Packages like this are fine if you want to offer them as a custom build duo later on, as a special order collectable "set".

But when you're trying to get market share and are the late entry to the party,......not the way to go in my opinion.
But hey,....it IS only 25 sets to be offered,.....so they will probably sell. I'll wait to sample the solo uke version when it comes to a town near me,.....already have plenty of guitars,.......many of which ARE Taylors, btw.

Overall a great product from my experience with their line,......and at the higher end at that. At one point i owned SIX of the 150 produced XXX-BE 30th Anniversary Brazilian/Engleman Grand Concert short scale guitars. I still own 2, and they are always a great sounding and easy playing guitar. I own an old 1995 912C and a newer K12CE that are equally inspiring,.......so Taylor gets my attention whenever they offer something new. Many years ago i gave my son one of their acoustic bases, and made the "mistake" of later showing him a wonderful all koa high end midsize Taylor, that "left the building" that day. The gleam in my son's eye was,.......priceless!

Hopefully they will soon come out with a build to order program for their ukuleles, as well as making a more utilitarian version and in other sizes,....concert size my particular favorite.

......i can wait it out for the guitar/uke decoupling. :D

Dan Uke
01-06-2012, 08:46 PM
If they are only making 25, it'll sell as there are over 6.8B in the world!! Most people who can afford it don't spend countless hours in front of the computer looking at forums. LOL

zac987
01-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I find the whole thing kind of pretentious.

mm stan
01-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Not sure what Taylor's strategy is....trying to sell it as a collectable when they even haven't made a name for themselves in the ukulele market as of yet...What are they thinking...

TCK
01-06-2012, 10:06 PM
They make their first uke, put it in the hands of (I have been told I cannot slag off artists regardless of their merit) and package it at that price with a guitar?
A sickening attempt at parting ass-hats from their money in my estimation (as of yet I have recieved no warning about slagging off ass-hats.), who is Taylor in the Ukulele world? The new comer- time to ratchet it down a bit folks.
I will stick to a really old Martin, and some Ukulele music that sounds a lot better than (again, I have been censored, so there is no artist name here...insert who you would like, that is the fun) could ever hope to play.
I just really want to know if at that price...can they get Jake to sign it?

ricdoug
01-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Andy Powers is a "Stradivarian" of crafting stringed instruments. Of what quality are Taylor instruments? Jeff Peterson performs on Taylor. Taylor is only crafting 25 of them. The market will decide if Taylor's asking a fair price for those ukuleles. I wish Taylor well on their return on investment. Ric

kissing
01-07-2012, 12:33 AM
I'd be too scared to play such an expensive instrument

bennyhana22
01-07-2012, 02:55 AM
I always find these discussions fascinating. I was telling friends yesterday about another friend of mine. He's a hugely knowledgeable watch enthusiast who builds, repairs automatic movements etc - i.e. he knows the LOT! He was in Paris last year and asked to see a certain watch in a high-end watch emporium. It was a repeater (alarm) top-end automatic movement but, essentially, a WATCH! The price? 330,000Euros!!! WHAT?! Now I own a very nice watch, that I was 'given' for my 40th birthday - I say 'given' as I'll finish paying for it in October, three years later! It's an automatic Omega that has nearly doubled in RRP in that three year period. It is IMPOSSIBLE (in my less than humble opinion) for the watch my friend viewed to be nearly 100 TIMES 'better' than mine. It is inconceivable that at ANY level, materials, craftsmanship, man-hours to build, accuracy, 'quality' etc it could even begin to justify the 100 fold higher price compared to mine. There are any number of similar examples of disproportionate prices of high-end manufactured items. More often than not the only obvious rationale for the discrepancy seems to be the company hiking the value based on its name.

Surely the Taylor uke situation, if accurate, is a perfect example of this? Presuming the guitar has a cost of around $8000, are Taylor REALLY suggesting that their uke has twice the 'value' of a $3000 hand-made, custom-built, expert luthiered uke from a 'lesser' name. Assuming that $3000 uke is just a stunning piece of craftsmanship that is nigh on 'perfect' regarding materials used, build quality, action and set-up, tone and playability, how can another uke be 'twice' as good as that? Now I realise that Taylor would not be specifically claiming that theirs IS twice as good, but then they are, in that case, as good as admitting that there is no other reason for the price other than that it is a Taylor. And, as other posters have suggested, that makes me cross because there will likely be some who pay that money BELIEVING that they are getting something so much better...and as for those who are happy to part with that sort of cash in order soley to own (or be seen to own, dare I say...) a Taylor...well I guess they and I have a very different idea of 'value'.

I like some beautifully made things - my watch, my uke, my bike, and they're reasonably expensive. But their higher value is a CONSEQUENCE of their quality and not the reason that I like them. Having only become a uke obsessive in the last few months, but now already pretty clued-up on this stuff (I read almost ALL of UU every day!) there are, even to this newbie SO many other ukes that I would much rather buy and would 'never' contemplate something like the Taylor being suggested. Especially as (**CONTROVERSY POINT ALERT!!**) aren't 'proper' 'ukuleles sopranos? Made in Hawai'i? From Koa?!!

Ben
x

bennyhana22
01-07-2012, 03:03 AM
PS - just for clarity, my newest, most lovely uke IS koa, and is an Uluru Pukana La II, a concert, hand-made by very clever luthiers in Vietnam, I believe! But the suppression of my (mild) UAS lies with the acquisition of a Hawai'ian koa soprano...

Ben

Nuprin
01-07-2012, 03:13 AM
I agree that Taylor seems to be reaching a little high with this pairing. According to my rep, they will be coming out with their production line sometime this year and he believed the starting point will be around $499 for a basic, no frills model. Those are the ones I'll be looking out for. 'Course I'll have to make sure my boss gets a picture of the new Taylor uke at NAMM though!

micromue
01-07-2012, 03:29 AM
I will start forming an opinion when I had the chance to listen to some samples. As of now: Taylor is the NKOTB on the uke market. I say ´hello, smile and wait.

Leodhas
01-07-2012, 04:24 AM
This post is very interesting, I especially like some folks reaction to it in regard to the price and perceived elitism that evokes.

On a personal level growing up in Scotland there was a perception of rivalry between Martin and Taylor and I have always preferred Martin guitars (once again just me) as I always found that the Taylor guitars I have come into contact with were (once again notice I am not throwing a general statement of fact upon this as I don't wish to upset Taylor players as I well know a person can bond exponentially with a favoured guitar) a wee bit too ' have a nice day ' jazz hands for my own liking, whereas the Martins have always given an impression they have a soul. I also like the history Martin has as a guitar (and ukulele) maker. I know that you can pick a Martin uke up for £300 / $450 brand new (I'm also aware you can pay a hell of a lot more) and that grants a certain accessibility to the man on the street. Therefore, for Taylor to come out with such an elitist (for the price surly defines that and I don't care if they're dressing it up as a 2 for 1) product, especially as it's a ukulele which in itself, for me, is an instrument of the people due to it's accessible pricing and comparative quality, is incredibly crass and ill judged !

The instrument elitism that exists in the guitar world, thus so far, I have not experienced in the ukulele world. As someone has already alluded to in this post, a custom built uke by people whose lives are dedicated to the art would cost you less than the Taylor. (that's one of the things that amazed me when I got into ukuleles, how comparatively inexpensive many of the custom uke builders are in relation to the guitar).

To summarise, when it boils down to it, I find the pricing of Taylors flurry into the market with this ukulele as an attack, indeed an insult to all that the ukulele and it's community has brought to the world. ukuleles, of the people for the people, f**k you Taylor!

Obviously the above is to be taken with a wisp of humour but the sentiment is real and I'm not some militant card carrying communist, although I do have a Che Guevara tattoo on my arse cheek, once again I don't really, it's maggie thatcher and ronald reagan dry humping on a B-52.

Once again to clarify, I have no tattoos on my arse.

23skidoo
01-07-2012, 05:04 AM
I've always thought that stringed instruments are one of the few things in life where you truly get what you pay for, if you're dealing with a reasonable merchant and a respected maker. It's been my experience that a $2000 Martin is a much better instrument than a $750 Martin. That being said, there is a point where 'what you are paying for' becomes aesthetic rather than practical - above a certain price point, you are paying for the aforementioned 'bling' (inlay, binding, finish, etc.) and not a corresponding step up in playability. The $8,000 Martin doesn't sound or play any better than the $3000 Martin, but it sure is prettier.

Again, that being said - I've always thought I'd never pay more than $1000-2000 for an instrument...... just not my style. That changed this holiday season. We spent New Years with a friend in Tennessee, a confirmed bachelor with a good job and no debt who spends all of his money on guitars and the related paraphernalia. He has quite the collection. I played a $5000+ Gibson SJ acoustic with all the trimmings and it's literally the nicest instrument I've ever laid hands on, I could not put it down...... and now I want one. I've always avoided the little room at the guitar store with all the truly expensive and pro level instruments - always thought I'd never spend that much on a guitar so why even bother? It's still not going to happen any time soon, not with two kids and two mortgages, but it did open up that part of mind to accept the realization that an outrageous amount of money for an object of that sort is not necessarily unreasonable.

I also think my skill level has something to do with it. I've played casually for years, but really gotten serious about practicing and improving my technique in the last year, improving more in that time than I have in the last ten years. This was the first time I'd played a really nice instrument since I'd improved my ability, so I was able to hear the difference the nicer instrument offers. I think the converse is true as well - Eric Clapton sounds much better on an old beater starter instrument than most folks do a truly fine guitar..... when I played nicer guitars before, it didn't sound too much different, just the same sloppy technique and poor tone.

As far as the Taylor uke..... my favorite acoustic guitar that I own is a Taylor - you can see it in several of my YouTube videos. I like other brands as well, but this is the guitar I happen to own. The higher end Taylor's I've played are nice instruments, worth the money. Looking at DeVine ukes and other makers around the web, $5,000-$10,000 for a beautifully appointed custom uke seems to be a reasonable price..... I'm not saying I would buy what they are offering, but collectors with the money to spend will get real value from a maker like Taylor, in my opinion. If someone wants to get into the 'bling' price point of instruments, the instruments Taylor offers are comparable to all of the other big name makers, seems to me.

bennyhana22
01-07-2012, 05:32 AM
The $8,000 Martin doesn't sound or play any better than the $3000 Martin, but it sure is prettier.

Good post, 23, (as yours invariably seem to be!). But, whilst I have no problem with incremental price increases as quality/materials etc improve within a range, let's explore your quoted Martin figures above - and I'm generally interested in the views of those more knowledgable than me in this area (everyone?). Having a reasonable knowledge of musical instruments etc, I am certain that the $3000 Martin is one hell of a guitar, no doubt worthy of professional/virtuoso level players (and anyone else who wants one, don't get me wrong, I'm in no way being elitist here). I can acknowledge too, that the $8000 Martin is 'better', prettier etc. But is it $5000 better and/or prettier? Is it nearly THREE times better and/or prettier than an instrument that, if you agree with me, is in itself a 'professional' quality instrument? A Stradivarius attracts its 'value' for many reasons, with quality being only one of them. Rarity, the fact that there will never be any more of them, cache and supply/demand disparity are amongst the others, so you can kind of rationalise the seemingly exaggerated prices they attract. They're still MAKING both $3000 and $8000 Martins and so I ask again, is the latter 'worth' nearly THREE times the former? You could end the debate in an instant with the 'something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it' line...but I'm digging deeper than that. I'm OK with Martin making a $300 (ish!) guitar and a $3000 guitar, if the latter is an acceptable, representative, legitimate costing given the quality of the instrument made. But just how high can you push the value from the starting point of an already very high quality item before it becomes disproportionate and simply a commercial exercise rather than a fair price?

Answers on a postcard, please (for postcard read standard internet forum posts. That was a reference to any Brits of my age and older...!)

Ben

PedalFreak
01-07-2012, 10:43 AM
I agree that Taylor seems to be reaching a little high with this pairing. According to my rep, they will be coming out with their production line sometime this year and he believed the starting point will be around $499 for a basic, no frills model. Those are the ones I'll be looking out for. 'Course I'll have to make sure my boss gets a picture of the new Taylor uke at NAMM though!

Has your rep emailed you the new Wood & Steel yet with the uke in it? My rep also said he thought they'd have new ukes later this year, but he was saying it'd be about $700 for a basic one :) So basically they don't know yet. I've been dealing with Taylor for 8 years now, and they like all other companies wont know pricing until the instrument is ready to be sold.

But anyway, by the way it is worded in the new Wood & Steel, there will not be any "production" ukes this year, they aren't even at that stage yet. None of their machinery is set up for it.

The other thing, this is Taylor's "Builders Reserve" collection, always high end (price) instruments, very low quantity. Honestly it's collectors that go for them. I've been asked a ton already for the guitar/uke package, and have been put on the list for them.

RichM
01-07-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm not here to defend Taylor. I've never played a Taylor ukulele. I don't think anyone else contributing to this thread has, either, although there are many people who are pretty darned sure they can't possibly be worth what they are asking for them. I'm proud to say that I haven't got a clue.

I do, however, find the following two notions specious:

1. A higher priced instrument is better quality (or even conversely, a better quality instrument is higher priced)
2. That a $2000 instrument should "twice as good" as a $1000 instrument

because

1. Price has *nothing* to do with quality. It has to do with supply and demand. Often, high quality drives high demand, but not always. Demand is driven by many things, including rarity,taste, trends, etc. When I was playing in bands as a kid, a had a couple of 1960's Les Pauls. They were pretty cheap because they were just old guitars. Now they sell for thousands of dollars. I wonder how the quality improved so much over the years. :)

2. Price is *often* driven by repuation, especially in the musical instrument world. Revered builders can charge super-premium prices for their work because they can only build so many and they have enough buyers at high prices to sell all they make. In the mandolin world, builders like Steve Gilchrist, Lynn Dudenbostel, Mike Kemnitzer and John Monteleone all charge in the neighorhood of $25,000 for an F-style mandolin. And good luck getting one. They're all sold.

2a. By the way, I'm amazed at how inexpensive high quality custom ukuleles are. Some of the builders here could double or triple their prices and they'd still sell everything they make. We're very lucky, and don't get too used to it. Buy your dream uke now, coz it's bound to change.

3. At some level, you can measure "quality" of a musical instrument, but eventually, it becomes ineffable. An instrument is valuable because it just speaks to you. And if it's expensive, you make the call if you can part with the money, because that's the instrument you need. For a hobbyist, it's a tough decision, because they're not sure it's worth it. For a musician, it may be easier, as that instrument is his/her livelihood. All this talk of elitisim makes me tired. Sure, some people buy high-end instruments because they like the status it gives them. But many high-end instruments are magical pieces of acoustic art, and they find their players.

When I tried one of Canadian luthier Allen Beardsell's guitars, I knew I had found the guitar for me. It fit in my hands like he had tailor-made it for me. The tone enveloped me like a warm blanket on a cold night. I knew it was going to my instrument. It was pretty expensive, but frankly, I would have paid more for it, because it was the one. I certainly didn't do it for status, since I'd wager most of you have never heard of Allen Beardsell (but really, you should. He's freaking amazing). Just like you find a soul mate, sometimes you find the instrument you're meant to be with.

I have no idea if any of this is true about Taylor ukes. I just know that often, really expensive instruments are really worth it. Even if you can't prove that they're five times better than a cheaper one.

ChrisRCovington
01-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Didn't Ovation do a limited edition koa guitar/ukulele combo a few years back? I think the ukulele had a palm tree shaped soundhole. Anyway, if Taylor wants to charge $14,000 for the set more power to them. I used to collect antique Japanese swords so I know something about over priced collections :) Hopefully their production line will be more affordable for the common ukulele-ist. I'd like to see them have an ukulele in the price range of the Martin S-1 but it sounds like that isn't going to happen. They are new kids on the block so I'd be curious to see if their ukuleles can hold their own against many of the established brands in the same price bracket.

stevepetergal
01-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Come now, many of us have custom ukuleles, and we do know what they're worth.

Hey, Does anyone know what Jake Shimabukuro's instrument cost (that is if Kamaka was stupid enough to charge him)? Or Kalei Gamiao? James Hill? Kimo Hussey?
A Taylor ukulele cannot, be worth more than any of theirs, unless Jake switches over to Taylor, and you're buying his.

pulelehua
01-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Slightly patronising, methinks. We talk a lot around here about custom builders. Many of us own custom, hand-built ukuleles. When we say 14k is a silly price, it might be because it's a silly price, and not because we're naive.

PedalFreak
01-07-2012, 12:58 PM

Hey, Does anyone know what Jake Shimabukuro's instrument cost (that is if Kamaka was stupid enough to charge him)? Or Kalei Gamiao? James Hill? Kimo Hussey?
A Taylor ukulele cannot, be worth more than any of theirs, unless Jake switches over to Taylor, and you're buying his.

I've heard rumors of $10k(value of) on Jakes, not sure about Kalei, James Hill Derek told me once was around $7k, not sure about Kimo's.

Taylor's are a Andy Powers uke, with a taylor inlay on the headstock :) If you ordered the exact uke from Andy you'd probably be at $7k for it.

Slightly patronising, methinks. We talk a lot around here about custom builders. Many of us own custom, hand-built ukuleles. When we say 14k is a silly price, it might be because it's a silly price, and not because we're naive.

Not patronising. Many aren't reading that it is a Custom Guitar AND ukulele, it's not $12-14k for just the uke, and who knows when we get to NAMM it may only be $8-10k, I was just stating rumors about it.... So at that the price isn't that bad. Devine uke starts at what $3500? A Moore Bettah can run you over that. And as said before an Andy Powers is around that too.

Nickie
01-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I've learned a lot reading this thread (as I usually do here). There has been some controversy lately as to whether a concert violinist can tell a real Stradivarius violin from a later model, made by a modern luthier. In the blindfold tests that were done, they could not. And the modern luthier violins of high quality sell for a lot less. So much for the idea that playing an instrument a lot makes it sound better, I guess.
I recently asked the luthier I've used at a Sam Ash music store what's the diff between a Martin guitar and a Taylor guitar, other than a few hundred bucks? (the Taylors were a lot "blingier", so being a naive newbie, I thought they were worth more) And why bother to "bling up" a cheap instrument?
He told me that Martins are all hand made (I should have remembered that, I've been to Martin) and that Taylor does most of the work on machines. (I didn't know that)
so i guess that means that Taylor ukuleles will be machine made? If so, how can one cost more than a Martin ukulele?
Being mostly Buddhist in my beliefs, I cannot justify paying thousands of dollars for an instrument. I don't believe in go crazy wild acquisition, why let my things own me?
Of course, I have no problem with someone else spending money like this, although if I had it, I'd probably feed some homeless people instead. I do love looking at other folks' expensive ukuleles, and admit that I drool, but I can't justify it myself. $7000 for an ukulele? Not me...

RichM
01-07-2012, 01:38 PM
There has been some controversy lately as to whether a concert violinist can tell a real Stradivarius violin from a later model, made by a modern luthier. In the blindfold tests that were done, they could not. And the modern luthier violins of high quality sell for a lot less. So much for the idea that playing an instrument a lot makes it sound better, I guess.

Stradavari violins are valued not just for their musical quality, but for their historical significance. I don't think anybody would claim nobody can make a violin of comparable sonic quality to a Stradavarius. Building techniques are significantly advances since Stradavari's time. Also worth noting that Stradavari built his violins at a time when they were mostly played in small ensembles. Virtually every Stradavarius has been changed significantly for orchestra play over the years.

I recently asked the luthier I've used at a Sam Ash music store what's the diff between a Martin guitar and a Taylor guitar, other than a few hundred bucks? (the Taylors were a lot "blingier", so being a naive newbie, I thought they were worth more) And why bother to "bling up" a cheap instrument?

Many cheap instruments are blinged up to make them more attractive to buyers. Look on ebay at the work of Bruce Wei or Antonio Tsai. Extremely blingy and selling for next to nothing.

He told me that Martins are all hand made (I should have remembered that, I've been to Martin) and that Taylor does most of the work on machines. (I didn't know that)
so i guess that means that Taylor ukuleles will be machine made? If so, how can one cost more than a Martin ukulele??.

There is some truth to what you say, but nothing inherently indicates a hand-made instruments is more valuable than one using machines (most builders use machines for some part of the build process). Lynn Dudenbostel uses a duplicarver to make his mandolin tops, and he still commands the price of a minivan for one. And they sell for even more on the used market, because you can't even get in line for a new one.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that the Taylor ukes in question are handmade (by a single luthier) custom shop models, not factory instruments. Or so I'm told, anyway.

I don't believe in go crazy wild acquisition, why let my things own me?

You shouldn't let your things own you. Many people with expensive instruments don't let their things own them, either.

jackwhale
01-07-2012, 02:49 PM
If I worked in the marketing department at Taylor and I could get 5 pages of comments on UU in one day before even introducing the brand new Taylor ukulele, I would feel that my job was secure for the rest of my life. UU is the demographic they want to reach.

And after reading all the posts, it suddenly became clear that the planned price of $14K is just a RUMOR!!

There probably are plenty of guitar forums where everyone is complaining loudly that they have to buy the guitar with a ukulele and none of them want a uke.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the uke though.

Nickie
01-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Stradavari violins are valued not just for their musical quality, but for their historical significance. I don't think anybody would claim nobody can make a violin of comparable sonic quality to a Stradavarius. Building techniques are significantly advances since Stradavari's time. Also worth noting that Stradavari built his violins at a time when they were mostly played in small ensembles. Virtually every Stradavarius has been changed significantly for orchestra play over the years.

Many cheap instruments are blinged up to make them more attractive to buyers. Look on ebay at the work of Bruce Wei or Antonio Tsai. Extremely blingy and selling for next to nothing.

There is some truth to what you say, but nothing inherently indicates a hand-made instruments is more valuable than one using machines (most builders use machines for some part of the build process). Lynn Dudenbostel uses a duplicarver to make his mandolin tops, and he still commands the price of a minivan for one. And they sell for even more on the used market, because you can't even get in line for a new one.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that the Taylor ukes in question are handmade (by a single luthier) custom shop models, not factory instruments. Or so I'm told, anyway.

You shouldn't let your things own you. Many people with expensive instruments don't let their things own them, either.

Thanks for answering my questions!

dnewton2
01-07-2012, 03:27 PM
There probably are plenty of guitar forums where everyone is complaining loudly that they have to buy the guitar with a ukulele and none of them want a uke.

I suspect there will be several of the ukes pop up on the secondary market. It seems pretty obvious most uke players don't want to shell out that kind of $$$$$. But guitar players might since their higher end instruments cost much more the the ukulele counterpart. It might be better to keep the pair together though.

That said I have not been impressed with guitar companies (fender, ibenez) attempt at ukuleles. And from all I have read, this thread, it is an Andy Powers uke with a Taylor name on it. (but every instrument is made by someone right). I think I would be more interested in seeing what Taylor has in store for their production models rather than these limited run instrument sets.

Paul December
01-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Blah, blah, blah Taylor guitars... blah, blah, blah whatever the market bears... blah, blah, blah.
I hope the Taylor Uke turns out to be a complete flop...
...simply because I'm turned-off by the whole marketing ploy behind it.

uke4life
01-07-2012, 04:42 PM
I love Taylor Guitars and hope they truly aren't that expensive...I think they make quality instrument and often times at a reasonable price, even ordering a BTO...

PoiDog
01-07-2012, 05:32 PM
If I worked in the marketing department at Taylor and I could get 5 pages of comments on UU in one day before even introducing the brand new Taylor ukulele, I would feel that my job was secure for the rest of my life. UU is the demographic they want to reach.

Well, considering how many of the comments here are basically harpooning Taylor for essentially price gouging and all, I don't know if there marketing guy would be really pleased.

As I said earlier, I don't give a good wet slap what Taylor sells their uke or uke/guitar combo for, or whether anyone buys them. If they can get people to pay them $15K, $25K, or $100K for the set, good for them. But at some point the cold reality is that the person stops paying for the actual instrument and luthier's expertise and starts paying a luxury tax for the status and bragging rights of having bought one of them.

If they're cool with that, great. But if they want to somehow try and pass that off as being equal to superior quality ... well, they can go sell that nonsense to the tourists, cause I'm not buying it.

philpot
01-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Ooh Taylor ukulele, that's intere... IT COSTS WHAT NOW??

Uhm...

Uh...

I'll commission a uke and a guitar from David Taylor Guitars in my area for less than 8 grand thanks.

They're free to charge whatever, but... yeah.

haolejohn
01-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I will start forming an opinion when I had the chance to listen to some samples. As of now: Taylor is the NKOTB on the uke market. I say ´hello, smile and wait.

Only quoting you b/c lots of folks have said this same thing (myself included) but after playing a $7k taylor guitar last night...I believe that folks said the same thing about Taylor guitars when they first came out.

haolejohn
01-07-2012, 06:48 PM

There was a thread about Jake's real uke. Not the Jake series ukes that went for $5k (unless my memory is wrong). So it was an almost Jake uke (no slot head and didn't use the same p/u system he uses) for $5k and there was 100 of those made or I can get a Taylor guitar and uke for $14k. Most of this price will be in the guitar. I really don't think they would charge 6k for one of these by themselves.

As mentioned. This first run is going to some rich people that like to collect rare things.

haolejohn
01-07-2012, 06:50 PM
But it isn't 14k for just the uke. I think many are not understanding that. I priced the custom MB I wanted to get. Yeah, It was going to cost more than my car. I decided I would never own a MB. But at least I got to play one.

mm stan
01-07-2012, 07:24 PM
If Taylor had been making ukes for several years with great success this would be a different story...but they didn't....not sure if they made any before and just in the prototype stages...
Would you buy a new brand of sportcar before they worked all the bugs out... first editions are NOT really the best for anything preformance related... sure quality and price are two
different things...just because you pay a high price doesn't mean you will not get a lemon...especially in string instruments due to all the variables...for the price...if the guitar sold for
9000.00 that would mean the uke is 5000.00.. even for an established guitar company, comparing ukes to guitars is like comparing apples to oranges...Wow they got some webbos...
for even offering it at that price...What they might need is a new PR man....for sure...

BlackBearUkes
01-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Interesting thread. If the sole purpose of making this uke/guitar combo was to get folks talking, I guess that worked. I personally don't see how any company or luthier for that matter can charge over $5000 for any new uke ( and $5000 is a big stretch). Maybe if it was all inlay work with real gold, jewels, etc. These thing just aren't that hard to make once you get the hang of it. I don't think I would ever charge that much even if I could. Ukes, guitars, etc. are fun but they're just not that important in the big scheme of things. There are many really fine luthiers in this country and I know a bunch of them and not too many are wealthy. Of course, they don't have all the overhead costs the big companies do either.

itsme
01-07-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't really get the combo pack idea. How many guitarists want to pay extra for an uke or vice versa?

I mean, you wouldn't buy a full-sized pickup truck and expect to get a subcompact car as part of the deal.

Or is it more like buying a matching sofa and love seat? But what if I only want one or the other?

rasputinsghost
01-07-2012, 09:55 PM

$14k could get you around 7 Mya-Moe ukuleles or 7 Moore Bettah ukuleles. Both are regarded by many players as the best ukuleles extant (don't want to spark a debate about who the 'best' ukulele maker is, those are the ones that spring to mind) . Even if you are getting a custom guitar in the mix, it's still really expensive.

haolejohn
01-08-2012, 03:56 AM
$14k could get you around 7 Mya-Moe ukuleles or 7 Moore Bettah ukuleles. Both are regarded by many players as the best ukuleles extant (don't want to spark a debate about who the 'best' ukulele maker is, those are the ones that spring to mind) . Even if you are getting a custom guitar in the mix, it's still really expensive.
14k won't get you seven MBs.

As far as mya-moe. They are a realitivly new company and they are already charging the same price as the established "K" companies (maybe even a little more).

I have no plans of buying a Taylor uke until there is an affordable one out there. Unless of course the rumor that kanile'a will be making them (then I won't buy one at all).

The people that buy this guitar/uke combo probably won't even play either of them.They will go in a case to be looked at or sold on ebay 6 months later for twice the price (remember that Jake model).

Since a lot of people keep throwing the car thing out there. I ride a Harley. Before my baby came a long it was my main means of transportation. I can not tell you how many Harley riders I met that only put 500 miles a year on their bike. Why did they own that Harley? B/c of the status that it assured them. Why do I own a Harley? B/C it is American made and it was a fairly cheap mode of transportation and there is just something about the wind in your face.

uke4life
01-08-2012, 05:04 AM
Since a lot of people keep throwing the car thing out there. I ride a Harley. Before my baby came a long it was my main means of transportation. I can not tell you how many Harley riders I met that only put 500 miles a year on their bike. Why did they own that Harley? B/c of the status that it assured them. Why do I own a Harley? B/C it is American made and it was a fairly cheap mode of transportation and there is just something about the wind in your face.

AMEN THERE!!! I put 6,000 miles the first year on my Nighttrain and 3K-4K easily every year after. However, that was when I was in Cali and could ride it daily (rain or shine) not like those "Chrome Focused Yuppy" riders that trailer their bikes everywhere. Once I moved to the mid-west I sold it because having such a short riding season was hard for me to justify my toy. Sorry for the HD tangent but I had to fully agree!!

23skidoo
01-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Good post, 23, (as yours invariably seem to be!). But, whilst I have no problem with incremental price increases as quality/materials etc improve within a range, let's explore your quoted Martin figures above - and I'm generally interested in the views of those more knowledgable than me in this area (everyone?). Having a reasonable knowledge of musical instruments etc, I am certain that the $3000 Martin is one hell of a guitar, no doubt worthy of professional/virtuoso level players (and anyone else who wants one, don't get me wrong, I'm in no way being elitist here). I can acknowledge too, that the $8000 Martin is 'better', prettier etc. But is it $5000 better and/or prettier? Is it nearly THREE times better and/or prettier than an instrument that, if you agree with me, is in itself a 'professional' quality instrument? A Stradivarius attracts its 'value' for many reasons, with quality being only one of them. Rarity, the fact that there will never be any more of them, cache and supply/demand disparity are amongst the others, so you can kind of rationalise the seemingly exaggerated prices they attract. They're still MAKING both $3000 and $8000 Martins and so I ask again, is the latter 'worth' nearly THREE times the former? You could end the debate in an instant with the 'something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it' line...but I'm digging deeper than that. I'm OK with Martin making a $300 (ish!) guitar and a $3000 guitar, if the latter is an acceptable, representative, legitimate costing given the quality of the instrument made. But just how high can you push the value from the starting point of an already very high quality item before it becomes disproportionate and simply a commercial exercise rather than a fair price?

Answers on a postcard, please (for postcard read standard internet forum posts. That was a reference to any Brits of my age and older...!)

Ben

Ben-

It is what the market will bear, what folks are willing to spend. Some people like luxury cars with all the appointments - just like some folks like their guitars and ukes with shiny hardware, gaudy inlay, and crazy finishes. I'm not a car guy, so - even if I won the lottery - I would never spend $80,000 for a tricked out BMW. Along the same lines, I prefer simpler, more modest looking instruments, which will save me a bundle at some point down the road when I scrape together enough cash to actually purchase a really fine instrument. The higher end instruments with all the bling...... I don't see them as simply a commercial exercise, though, since there continues to be a very willing market for them. They are being supplied to meet a demand, and are priced to suite.

surfink
01-08-2012, 05:33 AM
I personally don't see how any company or luthier for that matter can charge over $5000 for any new uke ( and $5000 is a big stretch). Maybe if it was all inlay work with real gold, jewels, etc. These thing just aren't that hard to make once you get the hang of it. I don't think I would ever charge that much even if I could. Ukes, guitars, etc. are fun but they're just not that important in the big scheme of things.
Thanks Duane, couldn't agree any more...

mm stan
01-08-2012, 05:47 AM

As far as mya-moe. They are a realitivly new company and they are already charging the same price as the established "K" companies (maybe even a little more).

I have no plans of buying a Taylor uke until there is an affordable one out there. Unless of course the rumor that kanile'a will be making them (then I won't buy one at all).

The people that buy this guitar/uke combo probably won't even play either of them.They will go in a case to be looked at or sold on ebay 6 months later for twice the price (remember that Jake model).

Most all the people buying these ukes will be like Jake limited edition ukes.. they will keep it a while and then try to sell it for 2-3 times the price...ha ha

metricfuture
01-08-2012, 06:02 AM
I'd be too scared to play such an expensive instrument
I hear ya! Hell, I've never even DRIVEN something that expensive.

Pukulele Pete
01-08-2012, 06:24 AM
14 thousand dollars ? I'll bet that is the list price and if you really wanted this pair of instruments you could get them for only 13 thousand.

byjimini
01-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Kinda strange to announce your arrival in a market in this way, but hey, they're not forcing us to buy it.

I just hope they've put in the same amount of research as Rick Turner; his interview with UU on the Compass Rose sold me on it.

dkcrown
01-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Not patronising. Many aren't reading that it is a Custom Guitar AND ukulele, it's not $12-14k for just the uke, and who knows when we get to NAMM it may only be $8-10k, I was just stating rumors about it.... So at that the price isn't that bad. Devine uke starts at what $3500? A Moore Bettah can run you over that. And as said before an Andy Powers is around that too.

Both Eric and Chuck have a long track record of making ukuleles. That is the difference here. While I'm sure that Andy Powers has the utmost talent as a Luthier, how many ukuleles has he made before? As people have already stated here, there are differences in building guitars and ukuleles. I'm would imagine that Rick Turner and Bill Collings could tell you that. I'd spend my money on a proven commodity versus an unknown.

dkcrown
01-08-2012, 07:24 AM
If Taylor had been making ukes for several years with great success this would be a different story...but they didn't....not sure if they made any before and just in the prototype stages...
Would you buy a new brand of sportcar before they worked all the bugs out... first editions are NOT really the best for anything preformance related...

BINGO, Stan. I couldn't agree more. Well said

uke4life
01-08-2012, 07:41 AM
BINGO, Stan. I couldn't agree more. Well said

x2 :agree:

vanflynn
01-08-2012, 08:38 AM
It isn't about the instruments as it is about collecting. Very limited number and a high cost. This happens in the gun world constantly. Beretta comes out with a matching set of shotguns, one 20 gauge, one 12 gauge or colt comes out with matching pearl handled revolvers and they get snatched up.
Taylor wants to gets more into the ukulele market, what better way to do it. They've got 7 pages of posting here, didn't they?

PoiDog
01-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Taylor wants to gets more into the ukulele market, what better way to do it. They've got 7 pages of posting here, didn't they?

I suppose if you subscribe to the idea that no publicity is bad publicity. But it seems to me the majority opinion here is overwhelmingly negative about Taylor.

My personal feeling is more or less neutral toward them, though I will admit that if this is the way they want to break in to the market -- by overcharging and trying to automatically pimp themselves as somehow the big boys -- I am not very keen on them. And, I have a feeling that should the time come and I have money for another uke I will think three or four times before getting a Taylor over something from a maker or custom builder who has a bit more respect for the 'ukulele player.

Leodhas
01-08-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm loving this post as it reveals a lot about folks in regard to their take on the subject. Nevertheless, when all is said and done Taylor freaks (or general guitar players) who dig ukes and have the cash are the people who are most likely going to buy the product. There may be a few pure uke players but I shouldn't imagine that many.

For me it all smacks of the Taylor Marketing team as there are far better ways the company could have entered the uke market than this syrup coated Brand uppercut. I don't want to come across as too cynical, but people have to see through the effluent here. Furthermore, I believe getting Taylor Swift on board as a tool to plug the ukes (I'm not blaming her I'm blaming Taylor) is one of the most acrid marketing ploys I've ever seen. I think the way Taylor has approach the whole project is ill judged and the reason a few folks backs are up.

However, if you don't want one you don't have to buy one.

PS People from Taylor will be watching this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if the person who started it has something to do with Taylor, some link and I'm really not being paranoid, it's just the way of things now.

haolejohn
01-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Everyone seems to be against this price and the only valid argument is that this is Taylor's first venture into the uke world. OK. Valid but Bob Taylor isn't building this first batch. Andy Powers is. Andy has been building instruments since he was around 10. Now...Let's say that The uke is going for 5k. That means that for one uke out of a set of 25 by a luthier that normally gets (not sure couldn't find the price on his website but let's say it is) 4k for his normal uke.

Now. One thing I like about Taylor is that the rumor of them coming out with a uke has been going around for quite some time. I read a few times (don't ask me to supply links b/c I am lazy, and I have no idea where I read it and not even sure if it is true) that the reason there wasn't a Taylor uke yet is b/c of the fact that Bob Taylor doesn't build junk. They wanted to make a quality uke. Not a smaller guitar.

I'll buy that. I will never spend 14k on an instrument. heck, I'll never spend $3500 or even $2500 on a uke. My dream uke was/is a MB or a Devine(who has only been building for 16years and started out as guitars btw) but I can't justify spending that much on a . Not when there are people suffering around me. Heck, I have a nice collection of ukes and I feel bad an awful lot of time about the money I have invested in my ukes.

I'm not trying to convience anyone to buy those uke/guitar packages but I am asking you to stop for a second and do a comparison between the actual Luthier's work.

I'm waiting for the Taylor affordable uke to come out. Am I uke snob? You betcha. Is Taylor going to make a GREAT uke? You betcha.

And my last plead is to please stop bringing Martin into it. Martin made (some say) the best ukulele many years ago. But once the uke fever caught and Martin came back into the fold...Yeah I'm not even going to go there. I'd rather have a mainland than a Martin (unless it is a vintage one).

PoiDog
01-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Everyone seems to be against this price and the only valid argument is that this is Taylor's first venture into the uke world. OK. Valid but Bob Taylor isn't building this first batch. Andy Powers is. Andy has been building instruments since he was around 10. Now...Let's say that The uke is going for 5k. That means that for one uke out of a set of 25 by a luthier that normally gets (not sure couldn't find the price on his website but let's say it is) 4k for his normal uke.

Now. One thing I like about Taylor is that the rumor of them coming out with a uke has been going around for quite some time. I read a few times (don't ask me to supply links b/c I am lazy, and I have no idea where I read it and not even sure if it is true) that the reason there wasn't a Taylor uke yet is b/c of the fact that Bob Taylor doesn't build junk. They wanted to make a quality uke. Not a smaller guitar.

I'll buy that. I will never spend 14k on an instrument. heck, I'll never spend $3500 or even $2500 on a uke. My dream uke was/is a MB or a Devine(who has only been building for 16years and started out as guitars btw) but I can't justify spending that much on a . Not when there are people suffering around me. Heck, I have a nice collection of ukes and I feel bad an awful lot of time about the money I have invested in my ukes.

I'm not trying to convience anyone to buy those uke/guitar packages but I am asking you to stop for a second and do a comparison between the actual Luthier's work.

I think, if each of these 'ukuleles were personally and painstakingly hand-built by Mr. Powers, there could be some justification for the price. But, given the amount of time it takes for other custom luthiers to build a uke - often times running into a few months - it seems unlikely that each of these 25 ukes was given the same intense and precise hand-sculpting of say a DeVine or Moore Bettah or Mya Moe, etc. Particularly since it's been perhaps 6 months or so since the announcement of the Taylor uke was made. The timeline doesn't add up.

It's more than likely that even these first 25 "limited edition" Taylor ukes were built along the lines of the K makers: hand built, to be sure, but not each one personally made by the Mr. Powers.

If I'm wrong about that, then maybe the price isn't quite as outrageous. But if I am not wrong, then it does make their price point a bit comedic, and more a promotional gimmick designed to scream from the mountaintops for attention.

Sadly, it seems that most of the attention (at least here) seems to be more negative than not.

bigchiz
01-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Skimmed through 8 pages and didn't see this approach to the topic.

An attempt to significantly raise the bar of the value of a ukulele is good for the industry, regardless of the value of the subjective tonal quality of the instrument.

Yes, no?

mm stan
01-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Two points that bug me....price and marketing strategy......well maybe overconfidence in their product too...

rasputinsghost
01-08-2012, 05:02 PM

Moore Bettah lists $2000 per tenor, so yes, it would.

And Mya-Moe has the craftsmanship to back up its prices. I don't doubt that Taylor can too, but not proportionate to this price. The Jake model has the market advantage of being ID'd with the most visible ukulele player in the world.

BlackBearUkes
01-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Mr. Andy Powers isn't going to build any better sounding uke then any other of the better uke luthiers building today. Period! Most people who spend great deals of money for their guitar, uke or whatever do so because they can then brag about it. Its that fools and money thing.

Bill1
01-08-2012, 06:29 PM
The responses here indicate that UU members are not the target market for the instruments, so don't feel bad if you have not been motivated to sell your car to buy the set yet. Given Taylor's history, the guitar uke set would be a nice little set for a collector prepared to wait a few years, but a serious uke player can do a lot better with almost any uke maker that I am aware of. It has been a nice eight page discussion though and we should thank the folks at Taylor promotions department for the discussion topic. Thanks Bob.
If so many of you didn't act like the ukes were girls, we could get a Taylor Swift song about how she found a uke she liked (it was just a cheap laminate model) then, changed strings and had a holiday in Hawaii and came back with a much more expensive model and then had to dump them both because the management set up a deal with a big guitar maker. It could be called "Is it Worths it?".

joejeweler
01-08-2012, 06:37 PM

And Mya-Moe has the craftsmanship to back up its prices. I don't doubt that Taylor can too, but not proportionate to this price. The Jake model has the market advantage of being ID'd with the most visible ukulele player in the world.

I was going to point this out that it is possible to pick up 7 MB ukes for $14K,.....just not "probable" because of his backlog. They would not be his best wood or inlays at that price either, i'm sure. But sound great a no brainer!
His "NSB" tenor line is in that price range,....one heck of a value! ("Not So Basic")

My 5A curly koa soprano was a bit more at $2250.00 a few months ago,.......and a tenor of the same wood quality would be more i'm sure. But there are some very nice custom abalone inlays Chuck offers that are on mine also, and i don't expect to see similar inlays on the new Taylor offerings,.....even at 2X-3X the price.

Plainsong
01-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Huh? The last paragraph. I can't make heads or tails of it.

I hope they make a nice product, but I also don't just assume they will. But it's not on my radar either way. I think we worry too much about a brand someone chooses anyway.

The responses here indicate that UU members are not the target market for the instruments, so don't feel bad if you have not been motivated to sell your car to buy the set yet. Given Taylor's history, the guitar uke set would be a nice little set for a collector prepared to wait a few years, but a serious uke player can do a lot better with almost any uke maker that I am aware of. It has been a nice eight page discussion though and we should thank the folks at Taylor promotions department for the discussion topic. Thanks Bob.
If so many of you didn't act like the ukes were girls, we could get a Taylor Swift song about how she found a uke she liked (it was just a cheap laminate model) then, changed strings and had a holiday in Hawaii and came back with a much more expensive model and then had to dump them both because the management set up a deal with a big guitar maker. It could be called "Is it Worths it?".

mr moonlight
01-08-2012, 07:54 PM

You shouldn't feel bad about buying expensive uke's just because people around you aren't doing so well financially. Buying ukes helps the economy. Every time you buy a uke, you are helping a lot of people keep their jobs and feed their families.

hmgberg
01-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm confounded by this whole discussion. Collectors will pay what appear to be obscene amounts for things. We know it to be true. This item(s) is marketed to collectors? What I mean is its price cannot be justified in relation to prices of other ukuleles being marketed to satisfy other interests.

Were it, say, an antique ice cream scoop, once used by (oh, who?) Abraham Lincoln, on the eve of issuing the Emancipation Proclamation and someone was willing to pay $50,000.00 for it, would we be saying things like, "why would I pay that much for this scoop when I could buy a Zeroll for $10.00 that would work just as well or better?"

Could it be that many of wish that Taylor's much anticipated entry into the ukulele market would not have been a collector's item but rather a player's instrument offered at a more accessible price? Is this why folks seem so angry?

I was in Island Guitars in Honolulu about a year and a half ago. They had a pair of new Martin ukuleles the tops of which were heavily inlaid in the style of what appeared to be a Japanese woodcut illustration. I must say, they were stunning...as collector's items. I think the pair was for sale for something like $20,000.00. Would I pay that much for them?... well maybe if I had a few million to burn. Would I buy them to play the heck out of them?... no way. Would I play them to determine that they were worth the money?...not likely at all.

nicknick222
01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
In this package the guitar is probably making up the bulk of the price, I'd be surprised if the ukulele is over 2500 dollars of the package. A handmade guitar will casually fun 12k and up. Look at froggy bottom guitars, not many frills and still over 10k.

To address the Taylor name/elitism debate... Taylor is really not a respected name in handmade custom guitars, they are very high end production guitars but they are all machine made and some may have a lot of detail which raises the price.

Custom handmade Taylor's are made under the name "R. Taylor" a separate custom division of Taylor guitar.

mr moonlight
01-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Mr. Andy Powers isn't going to build any better sounding uke then any other of the better uke luthiers building today. Period! Most people who spend great deals of money for their guitar, uke or whatever do so because they can then brag about it. Its that fools and money thing.

That's a pretty big assumption. I know a lot of people who have spent great deals of money on their instruments from a few thousand to well over a hundred thousand and none of them made their purchases for the bragging rights. Sometimes the right instrument just costs a grip. As for Andy's Uke's we'll be able to judge them when we see em'.

Plainsong
01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Wait a second, how is that a big assumption? It's not at all a big assumption, it's a reasonable deduction to make. It's not an insult or this or that, it just is what it is. Let's say it sounds spectacular. Will it sound just so so ukulele such that no other ukulele can approach it?

Come on, no.

I don't have anything against the builder or the brand or whatever, it's just that comment, when you start to think about what it means, is silly.

edit to add: I'm sure I'll be flamed for agreeing with BlackBear there, but there could be a better choice of words to do defend the "Taylor ukes will be great, even though we haven't heard one yet, so shut up!" argument. Saying that it's a huge assumption to assume that a top made uke won't actually beat other top made ukes... isn't one of them.

mm stan
01-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I was always thought of buying things wisely .....Taylor's prices are outragous and probally driving the market prices up...no one wants to be the first for doing so or remembered for it...
Whatever they think they they can get away with, whether it be overconfidence, Greed, poor marketing stratagies etc. they are hurting themselves, and will pay for it. As Ukers, we know the value of our instruments and we know better, it's just the rich and obcessed that may have intrest and with money to throw away...

Pukulele Pete
01-09-2012, 01:18 AM
You have to remember that there are alot of people ( not me ) for whom spending 15 k is no big deal.

haolejohn
01-09-2012, 02:48 AM

That is a basic MB with nothing else. I haven't priced a MB since I thought I could afford one. Then I got the opportunity to play one. It sounded very nice but I realized it sounded no nicer than my koalohas or the kamaka I owned, but man it sure was prettier. So I decided that I couldn't justify spending that much money on looks.

What surprises me is that this first run isn't geared towards us...it is geared towards those with 14k to spend. Rumor is there is still more to come in the 500ish range. THat is what I am waiting for. That is a price that I can afford. If anyone expected Taylopr to come out with a cheaper uke than that, then you are dillusional. What does a Larivee uke cost? A collings? a breedlove? I give taylor credit for not being like fender or Ibanez or even epiphone.

vanflynn
01-09-2012, 04:13 AM
If Yamaha decided to go into the car business do you think they would roll out a family sedan for the first public showing, hell no. They would bring out a fancy sports car. Same thing here.

mm stan
01-09-2012, 07:02 AM
If You been playing the uke long enough...you can be satisfied playing with any uke period and have fun...show off your talents rather than what you have....
It is obivious Taylor isn't marketing towards us... Yeah I am sorry for ripping on them....

Plainsong
01-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Ford didn't start with a GT or Mustang...

But anyway, that's apples to oranges. That's a business that makes X, looking to make Y - in a completely different industry.

In the case of Taylor, they're making a vast variety of product X, and they're looking to expand into making a selection of X sub-1.

Again, if people buy them, more power to them and thanks a bunch for driving prices up, but then again giving us more variety. I'm just against the whole "Holy crap it'll be awesome!" or "Holy crap this guy will make ukes that sound so much better than every other existing top builder out there!" - these are huge claims to make.

RichM
01-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Again, if people buy them, more power to them and thanks a bunch for driving prices up, but then again giving us more variety. I'm just against the whole "Holy crap it'll be awesome!" or "Holy crap this guy will make ukes that sound so much better than every other existing top builder out there!" - these are huge claims to make.

If Taylor does come out with a limited-production high-end uke, I doubt it will make any difference whatsoever to market prices. Targeted market, targeted buyer, low production. I also don't see anybody claiming that they will be better than any other ukes out there. I agree that they are huge claims to make-- I just don't see anybody making them. In the end, there will either be a market for this product or not; if there is, Taylor was wise to take advantage of it. If not, Taylor will have 25 expensive ukes they can't sell. In the end, I don't see how it will change my life much, except that I welcome diversity in the uke market.

At this point, except for rumor, we don't know what they look like, we don't know what they sound like, and except for an educated guess, we don't know what they will cost. But that never prevented the internet from having 10 pages of opinions. :)

haolejohn
01-09-2012, 08:58 AM
I wonder when the uke community became like the guitar community? It seems that that moment has arrived.

Taylor (or at least the rumor is) will be making an affordable line that is more along the higer import line (think pono, mele, big island). That is what they should be judged on. Not making a mass produced chinese import to compete with kala. I am glad that a well respected guitar company has taken the uke plunge.

PedalFreak
01-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Kinda strange to announce your arrival in a market in this way, but hey, they're not forcing us to buy it.

I just hope they've put in the same amount of research as Rick Turner; his interview with UU on the Compass Rose sold me on it.

Both Eric and Chuck have a long track record of making ukuleles. That is the difference here. While I'm sure that Andy Powers has the utmost talent as a Luthier, how many ukuleles has he made before? As people have already stated here, there are differences in building guitars and ukuleles. I'm would imagine that Rick Turner and Bill Collings could tell you that. I'd spend my money on a proven commodity versus an unknown.

The first time I heard of Taylor doing a uke was in 2007, when I was at the factory and my rep was giving me a tour of their wood supply. They had several large stacks of koa for ukuleles. They were working on prototypes then, plus they were selling a lot of koa to Hawaiian uke builders. Taylor is one of (if not the) largest buyer of koa in the instrument industry.

As has been stated already, Andy has been building ukes and guitars for around 20 years now, has built a lot of them and for many big name artists: Jason Mraz, Elvis Costello, Sara Watkins, James Morrison, and more...

I think, if each of these 'ukuleles were personally and painstakingly hand-built by Mr. Powers, there could be some justification for the price. But, given the amount of time it takes for other custom luthiers to build a uke - often times running into a few months - it seems unlikely that each of these 25 ukes was given the same intense and precise hand-sculpting of say a DeVine or Moore Bettah or Mya Moe, etc. Particularly since it's been perhaps 6 months or so since the announcement of the Taylor uke was made. The timeline doesn't add up.

It's more than likely that even these first 25 "limited edition" Taylor ukes were built along the lines of the K makers: hand built, to be sure, but not each one personally made by the Mr. Powers.

If I'm wrong about that, then maybe the price isn't quite as outrageous. But if I am not wrong, then it does make their price point a bit comedic, and more a promotional gimmick designed to scream from the mountaintops for attention.

Sadly, it seems that most of the attention (at least here) seems to be more negative than not.

Most here on this site only recently heard about Taylor making a uke. Those of us in the industry have known about it for years. I first heard about the limited run over a year ago. And last I heard, Andy is doing all of the ukes. But I won't know 100% until NAMM :)

Two points that bug me....price and marketing strategy......well maybe overconfidence in their product too...

I wouldn't say that they are overconfident. Taylor is by far the #1 selling guitar in the MI industry. Bob I'm sure knows what he is getting into, and won't release a production model uke until it's perfect in his mind, and it makes sense to do so. The numbers I've heard so far brings production ukes in the $700-1600 price range, with 3 models being made. But that is speculation on Taylor's part because they haven't even begun tooling for a production made ukulele, so IF it happens it's probably at least a year away for a production ukulele.

chrimess
01-09-2012, 09:29 AM
I applaud Taylor for making Koa look stunning- they will be a welcome addition to the family of Quality uke builders but not turn the market upside down in any shape or form.

SailingUke
01-09-2012, 09:30 AM
I believe it is unfair to rip Taylor for building an expensive collectors ukulele.
It won't have any impact on market prices. Lanakai, Kala & ????? are not going to raise their prices because someone manufactures a high priced uke.
There are many components to pricing, quality/cost and collectors value.
In fact if they sell enough high price, big profit, uke prices on production ukes may go down.

mr moonlight
01-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Taylor makes 25 high priced ukes and Bugatti makes a hand full of million dollar cars. Neither have any affect on the market for those buying Honda's, Fords, BMW's...

Taylor makes great guitars, I hope they enter the uke market with a good line of ukes that cover the same price ranges that their guitars do.

Ron98GT
01-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Wow, PoiDog, I just find myself agreeing with your posts lately. Maybe it has something to do with that old saying about great minds thinking alike? :p

There are so many levels of quality with instruments. But there does come a point of diminishing returns where the cost is no longer justified or proportionate to the quality.

Some people really like bling, I don't. Fancy inlays and bindings can cost you a lot extra. I prefer simplicity and nice woods over bling.

The thing about Taylor, yeah, a lot of people respect the brand. But it's not really differentiated when Andy Powers' 100% handmade instruments are sold under the same brand as the lower-end Taylors made in their factory in Mexico.

Only the laminates are made in Mexico. That would be the 100 and 200 series, the low-low end. Not sure where the Baby is made.

Ron98GT
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
This post is very interesting, I especially like some folks reaction to it in regard to the price and perceived elitism that evokes.

On a personal level growing up in Scotland there was a perception of rivalry between Martin and Taylor and I have always preferred Martin guitars (once again just me) as I always found that the Taylor guitars I have come into contact with were (once again notice I am not throwing a general statement of fact upon this as I don't wish to upset Taylor players as I well know a person can bond exponentially with a favoured guitar) a wee bit too ' have a nice day ' jazz hands for my own liking, whereas the Martins have always given an impression they have a soul. I also like the history Martin has as a guitar (and ukulele) maker. I know that you can pick a Martin uke up for £300 / $450 brand new (I'm also aware you can pay a hell of a lot more) and that grants a certain accessibility to the man on the street. Therefore, for Taylor to come out with such an elitist (for the price surly defines that and I don't care if they're dressing it up as a 2 for 1) product, especially as it's a ukulele which in itself, for me, is an instrument of the people due to it's accessible pricing and comparative quality, is incredibly crass and ill judged !

The instrument elitism that exists in the guitar world, thus so far, I have not experienced in the ukulele world. As someone has already alluded to in this post, a custom built uke by people whose lives are dedicated to the art would cost you less than the Taylor. (that's one of the things that amazed me when I got into ukuleles, how comparatively inexpensive many of the custom uke builders are in relation to the guitar).

To summarise, when it boils down to it, I find the pricing of Taylors flurry into the market with this ukulele as an attack, indeed an insult to all that the ukulele and it's community has brought to the world. ukuleles, of the people for the people, f**k you Taylor!

Obviously the above is to be taken with a wisp of humour but the sentiment is real and I'm not some militant card carrying communist, although I do have a Che Guevara tattoo on my arse cheek, once again I don't really, it's maggie thatcher and ronald reagan dry humping on a B-52.

Once again to clarify, I have no tattoos on my arse.

Dude get a grip on it. Get a life. Their only musical instruments. NO a uke does NOT have to be from Hawaii and it has to be a saprano.

Martins are dull & dead sounding. Taylor designed ther guitars so that they can be heard over other instruments. They sound alive. Your opinion is like all a$$ holes, it stinks.

joejeweler
01-09-2012, 02:37 PM
If Yamaha decided to go into the car business do you think they would roll out a family sedan for the first public showing, hell no. They would bring out a fancy sports car. Same thing here.

Yeah,....but would they require you to ALSO buy a pickup in a package deal? So not the same thing.

Personally, i would have NO problem with a higher end ukulele offering debuting their entry into the marketplace, as what better way to introduce themselves. Even Martin re-entered the uke market with their top of the line Style 5, and only after getting a committment for 50 pieces from a japanese distributer as i recall in one of Chris Martin's videos.

Just leave out the requirement to purchase a guitar i don't need or want. That's a marketing mistake imo, and probably the reason most are a bit put off with the Taylor entry into the uke market. It also severely masks the true price of the ukulele part of the package. I like to "know" what something costs and not have it convoluted at this price level with a packaged pricing concept. It's inevitable some of these packages will be split up over time.

BTW,....if Andy Powers is supposed to be hand making this first run of 25 top end instruments,.......what does that mean regarding the later to come "factory" production ukes? Is Andy going to oversee the building, contribute meaningfully in the building process,.......or just turn the production over to the factory floor usuing his prototypes as a guide?

......time will tell, and a lot of folks will be looking for answers to these and other questions.

Personally,.....i'm really looking foreward to trying out a Taylor ukulele,.....most likely a production model as i doubt a packaged uke/guitar will end up in my area. Even if it does,.....i suspect they will be hands-off at that pricing level. Not as saleable if shop worn.......

Nuprin
01-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Everyone keeps talking about how 14K is too much for a uke and how Taylor should be ashamed. IT'S NOT A 14K UKE!!! The bulk of the price will be in the guitar! Plus, the 14K price tag has not been set by Taylor...it's all just speculation.

I have never played an Andy Powers uke but I've heard they're amazing...better than a Moore Bettah, DeVine, etc.? Maybe not, but I bet it will sound great. My rep told me that Bob Taylor has gone through a number of prototypes because he didn't want to put out a crap product.

In my opinion, Taylor makes the best production guitar around. I have a 614 and haven't played a guitar I've liked more. Again, my opinion, but their Mexican made 100 and 200 series guitars have a much, much better sound than the Yamaha, Washburn, etc. guitars in the same price range.

I personally can't wait until their regular line comes out because I am fully intending on adding one to my collection. A lot of the information on their production line is still hearsay but my rep is pretty sure they will be made in the States. He also believed they would be starting somewhere in the $500 - $700 range (although he wasn't positive)...that's not a bad price for an American made product from a very reputable company.

Ukulele JJ
01-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Could we please dial down the vitriol a bit, folks?

We don't have to all hold hands and play Kumbaya, but I will lock this thread if it needs it.

JJ

haolejohn
01-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Everyone keeps talking about how 14K is too much for a uke and how Taylor should be ashamed. IT'S NOT A 14K UKE!!! The bulk of the price will be in the guitar! Plus, the 14K price tag has not been set by Taylor...it's all just speculation.

I have never played an Andy Powers uke but I've heard they're amazing...better than a Moore Bettah, DeVine, etc.? Maybe not, but I bet it will sound great. My rep told me that Bob Taylor has gone through a number of prototypes because he didn't want to put out a crap product.

In my opinion, Taylor makes the best production guitar around. I have a 614 and haven't played a guitar I've liked more. Again, my opinion, but their Mexican made 100 and 200 series guitars have a much, much better sound than the Yamaha, Washburn, etc. guitars in the same price range.

I personally can't wait until their regular line comes out because I am fully intending on adding one to my collection. A lot of the information on their production line is still hearsay but my rep is pretty sure they will be made in the States. He also believed they would be starting somewhere in the $500 - $700 range (although he wasn't positive)...that's not a bad price for an American made product from a very reputable company.
I agree with you.

PoiDog
01-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Feh.

In the end I doubt very much that a Taylor uke will affect me one way or the other. Call me narrow-minded, a bigot, an ignoramus, or whatever other name you want, but I think any future big-dollar uke I buy will be made in Hawai'i -- either by one of the custom builders, or as a high-end version of a K.

RichM
01-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Not sure where the Baby is made.

Sometimes, when a mommy and a daddy love each other very much, they hug each other reaaallll close..... :D

haolejohn
01-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Sometimes, when a mommy and a daddy love each other very much, they hug each other reaaallll close..... :D

buhahahaha!!

mr moonlight
01-09-2012, 08:40 PM
In my opinion, Taylor makes the best production guitar around. I have a 614 and haven't played a guitar I've liked more.
Have you played the 816? I picked up one of those and just had to have it. I went into the store planning on getting a 614, but fell in love with the volume, clarity, bass and tone of the 816. For any guitar custom or factory, it's a pretty damn nice guitar.

The real issue is not that the Taylor ukes cost so much more than what you can get a custom by a great luthier, it's that there are a number of great luthiers out there charging ridiculously low prices for their instruments. Taylor is just charging a more appropriate price for the work that goes into the instrument. Have you seen what you can get from MB for around $2.5K????? If you think getting one of his instruments for that price isn't a steal you're high as a kite. His ukes are grossly under-priced (still a grip of course) and I hope I can afford one when the time comes.

Nuprin
01-10-2012, 03:23 AM
Have you played the 816? I picked up one of those and just had to have it. I went into the store planning on getting a 614, but fell in love with the volume, clarity, bass and tone of the 816. For any guitar custom or factory, it's a pretty damn nice guitar.

Nope, never played an 816. I've tried an 812 but it lacked the fullness of my 6 (due to the smaller body size). I'm trying to remember what I've tried from Taylor...a 910, a custom GS, an 812, 714, 614 (obviously), 514, 412, 314, 310, 214, 210, 114, 110. I really liked the balance and tone from the 714 but I still like my 614 more. Of other brands, I've tried out a couple of Collings, Breedlove, Santa Cruz, Martins, and Larivee. I like my Taylor the best.

The real issue is not that the Taylor ukes cost so much more than what you can get a custom by a great luthier, it's that there are a number of great luthiers out there charging ridiculously low prices for their instruments. Taylor is just charging a more appropriate price for the work that goes into the instrument. Have you seen what you can get from MB for around $2.5K????? If you think getting one of his instruments for that price isn't a steal you're high as a kite. His ukes are grossly under-priced (still a grip of course) and I hope I can afford one when the time comes.

I completely agree with you...the playability and sound of Chuck's ukuleles are worth more than he charges. I'm happy he charges what he does as I wouldn't have been able to afford one!

joejeweler
01-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Just got my hard copy of the Taylor "Wood & Steel" today,.....which includes some info on the new Tenor ukes.
(Online reading is also available, although it's not currently available online)

It might be quite a bit longer wait for a Taylor "production" uke. According to the info in the paper,....they are not tooled up for ukulele production at this time,....and the reason the 25 we already "knew" about are being hand made.

(Actually 30 ukes/guitar sets to be built mentioned in the W&S issue)

PedalFreak
01-12-2012, 02:54 PM
It might be quite a bit longer wait for a Taylor "production" uke. According to the info in the paper,....they are not tooled up for ukulele production at this time,....and the reason the 25 we already "knew" about are being hand made.

(Actually 30 ukes/guitar sets to be built mentioned in the W&S issue)

Since people are getting their W&S now, it's probably ok to post this now. It is in the new Wood & Steel magazine.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/guitarcollector8183/tayloruke.jpg

joejeweler
01-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Since people are getting their W&S now, it's probably ok to post this now. It is in the new Wood & Steel magazine.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/guitarcollector8183/tayloruke.jpg

Funny thing about that picture,.......i wondered if they were supposed to be one of the koa guitar/ukulele "sets"?

I hope not,....because they certainly don't match in wood color or figure. Time will tell if these stay a set,.....or some ukes are offered by their owners as a stand alone used sale.

micromue
01-13-2012, 03:37 AM
Ears, pin-style bridge and skunk stripe??? I am out!:( Although I like the headstock design...

smithpaul60
01-13-2012, 03:53 AM
While that Taylor uke may sound better than, say, a production run Kamaka, I doubt it is four to five times the better uke. Nor do I believe it would be twice to three times as good as a Moore Bettah, Pohaku, or other uke by some of the custom builders who stop by here. But then again, the Taylor name carries a cachet and a sense of luxury not seen in the other names.

I agree but I wanted to chime in to say that if I hear someone has a Moore Bettah, I start drooling and figuring out ways to get away with murder.

haolejohn
01-13-2012, 04:37 AM
I always hear the sound better argument.

While at UWC I got to play some very nice custom ukes. One of the most coveted custom ukes out there.

Looks where orgasmic.
Sound was nice but not 3xs better than my koaloha. As a matter of fact my koaloha sounded better at least to me.

dnewton2
01-13-2012, 06:28 AM
I think that uke looks sexy. I doubt I will ever own one but I do like the look of it. I could go either way with the pictured guitar, does not look that special to me, but I know little to nothing about guitars. I am sure they both sound nice too.

haolejohn
01-13-2012, 06:44 AM
I think that uke looks sexy. I doubt I will ever own one but I do like the look of it. I could go either way with the pictured guitar, does not look that special to me, but I know little to nothing about guitars. I am sure they both sound nice too.

I like the way it looks too. I lvoe dark koa. I also like that streak in it.

Trinimon
01-13-2012, 08:07 AM
I won't kick that uke outta bed, but why does she come with her big sister? That gets awkward. I wouldn't know what to do with a guitar. lol

Nickie
01-13-2012, 08:14 AM
I won't kick that uke outta bed, but why does she come with her big sister? That gets awkward. I wouldn't know what to do with a guitar. lol

LOL, that's cute. I do think that is an attractive couple... I guess I would wind up giving the guitar to a friend of mine...

ukecantdothat
01-13-2012, 12:43 PM

It would be a GREAT price if it were a guitar AND a uke double neck! :nana:

1931jim
01-15-2012, 04:33 AM
Originally Posted by Trinimon
LOL, that's cute. I do think that is an attractive couple... I guess I would wind up giving the guitar to a friend of mine...
A friend in need is a friend indeed Nickie. I am good at shovelling snow so I'll shovel all your snow if you keep me in your "friend of mine line"

mendel
01-15-2012, 05:08 AM
Granted, my knowledge is limited BUT- no way they build a Uke better than Chuck Moore, Brad Donaldson, or the other incredible luthiers here. No way. That is all.

philpot
01-15-2012, 05:18 AM
Beautiful ukulele. I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

itsscottwilder
01-15-2012, 05:21 AM
Here's where that whole 1% of Americas people possess 50% of its wealth really annoys me. If you can afford $15000 for a guitar and ukulele, you can afford to pay a little more in taxes!

(runs away)

philpot
01-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Here's where that whole 1% of Americas people possess 50% of its wealth really annoys me. If you can afford $15000 for a guitar and ukulele, you can afford to pay a little more in taxes!

(runs away)

Yeah, because it's fair to punish someone for having more money. ^.^

Hippie Dribble
01-15-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't understand the sales strategy of packaging a uke with a guitar.

I'll show my ignorance here, but unless Andy Powers is considered to be the Stradivari of ukulele luthiers, I think Taylor is trying to separate status-addicted fools from their money, IMO.
totally agree with Gillian

14K? I'll have 3 Mya Moe's a custom Collings and a Moore Bettah, a Kamaka soprano and a packing box full of dolphin's thanks...

philpot
01-15-2012, 09:45 AM
totally agree with Gillian

14K? I'll have 3 Mya Moe's a custom Collings and a Moore Bettah, a Kamaka soprano and a packing box full of dolphin's thanks...

Can I have one of the Mya Moe's, if you've got that cash lying around? ;)

Plainsong
01-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah, because it's fair to punish someone for having more money. ^.^

Because it justifies giving the bulk of the tax burden to those too unlucky to be paid such as they can't save so much. Also, not the best plan for getting tax revenue, but hey, me first. Screw the country, I gotta get mine.

Stupid poor people, why don't they just save money? More than a bit disconnected, a bit "Let them eat cake."

And you can come back and tell me how wrong I am, but that won't make it so.

byjimini
01-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I think this thread needs to veer back on course.

Ukulele JJ
01-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Locked, as promised.

JJ