New Uke Day

mattydee

Reaction score
Yesterday was actually the day, but today was the first day I got to play a bit.

A new to me Mainland Honeybee solid Mahogany Soprano. I already had a Mainland Red Cedar Soprano, and the first solid wood uke I ever played was a friend's mahogany Mainland, so I have been a fan of the maker for a while.

But this honeybee is, well, the bee's knees. I love the satin finish, and I really love the honeycomb style rope purfling, as opposed to the inlay style they have on other models.

Plus this one came (beautifully packaged by paulbsa, by the way) in a tweed case, which basically matches the purfling.

I haven't had much of a chance to play it yet -- not even to plug it in (pick up! Sweet!) but the few songs I have played have been great... I really enjoy mahogany as a tone wood.

honeybee body.jpghneybee case.jpghoneybee headstock.jpghoneybee purf.jpghoneybee whole.jpg

The Honeybee is a GREAT Mainland! Got one for myself, but my daughter siezed it immediately & claimed it as her own.

Congrats! It's beautiful. I hope you really dig it!

I have heard those mainlands sound great. I got to play a pineapple once and loved it. Hope you enjoy yours!

Congrats, it's lovely! I so love the sound of Mainlands.

Congratulations! I'll have to check out this model.

Congratulations! I'll have to check out this model.

Sadly, this one is out of print, so to speak. Mine is second hand. Grabbed it off the marketplace a few days ago. Not sure why they don't make them anymore, but a soprano with a pickup is a glorious thing.

That's a beauty! I love my Mainland Gloss Mahogany soprano with the MiSi pickup. Mainlands are hard to beat!

That's a beauty! I love my Mainland Gloss Mahogany soprano with the MiSi pickup. Mainlands are hard to beat!

Yeah, and I prefer the matte, so it's great. The gloss on my cedar soprano is great, but all my other ukes have a matte or satin finish, and there's something about that I prefer. Diff'rent strokes.

That said, I can't get over the mainland build/price ratio. So good! I'm looking forward to having a bit more time in my schedule to enjoy this one. Hard to know when that will be though. More and more work opportunities keep cropping up and I am keeping pretty busy. Not complaining, just looking for more uke time!

Yeah, and I prefer the matte, so it's great. The gloss on my cedar soprano is great, but all my other ukes have a matte or satin finish, and there's something about that I prefer. Diff'rent strokes.

That said, I can't get over the mainland build/price ratio. So good! I'm looking forward to having a bit more time in my schedule to enjoy this one. Hard to know when that will be though. More and more work opportunities keep cropping up and I am keeping pretty busy. Not complaining, just looking for more uke time!

I bought my niece a matte mahogany Mainland before I bought my own. I liked the matte version too.

Congratulations on your Honeybee...I have that same one...did you buy it second hand, since it a limited edition...I love tthe sound of mine and I have Aquila on mine too...get a honeytone battery amp for 19.99 from Musician friend...they go good together....Happy Strummings.. MM Stan
P.S. I did polish mine to a gloss finish with NU finish auto polish...

Congratulations on your Honeybee...I have that same one...did you buy it second hand, since it a limited edition...I love tthe sound of mine and I have Aquila on mine too...get a honeytone battery amp for 19.99 from Musician friend...they go good together....Happy Strummings.. MM Stan
P.S. I did polish mine to a gloss finish with NU finish auto polish...

Yep, second hand here on the marketplace. And I already have the Honeytone amp, in minty green, which I've been using for my Eleuke pineapple. Seems like a perfect fit for this guy too. Stan, I know you like the martin strings, which I'm thinking about switching to here... What do you think?

Looks beautiful! Congratulations.

Yep, second hand here on the marketplace. And I already have the Honeytone amp, in minty green, which I've been using for my Eleuke pineapple. Seems like a perfect fit for this guy too. Stan, I know you like the martin strings, which I'm thinking about switching to here... What do you think?
Aloha MattyDee,
I have the same minty green honeytone amp....I had the aquila first and they are nice too...but you are right, I love my M600 martins...either ones work fine....when you change the strings
would be a good time to spiffy up and polish it to gloss shine...Have fun and enjoy....Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Top Bottom